You are not logged in.

#1 2008-07-03 13:19:46

chuckychuck
Website

Can't hibernate nor suspend my laptop .(it used to work with openSuse)

Hi !
I switched from opensuse to archlinux, and it's great !! The system is minimal and clean and slightl faster than under opensuse

everything works flawlessly, except suspending/hibernating ...

It worked well under opensuse. That distro uses pm-utils too, but they are based on s2disk and s2ram utilities, i just had to add some parameters to the s2disk command ( by modifying a pm-utils config file ) that are "-f -a -1", and everything worked.

If i'm not wrong, with Archlinux pm-utils are not based on s2ram nor s2disk, then i used this tutorial : http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/S2disk
installed the aur package, regenerated the ram image ..

but it still doesn't work with the s2ram nor s2disk commands
- with suspending, the laptop does suspend, it powers off, the suspend led is lit. But when i power on my laptop, i just have the blinking underscore on my screen and nothing happens ...
- with hibernating, the laptop can't even hibernate, X is shutdown and there is a terminal message saying " taking a snapshot " but nothings happens, no disk access..

Do you know what i should do ?
openSuse is a heavily pre-configured system, so i really don't know where to look to copy my suse suspend/hibernate settings ( i have a 3x boot windows xp arch and opensuse, so i can search the suse config files, but i don't know which ones ... )

thanks

Last edited by chuckychuck (2008-07-03 13:20:27)

#2 2008-07-03 13:26:14

kjon

Re: Can't hibernate nor suspend my laptop .(it used to work with openSuse)

My advice would be forgetting about s2ram (I know, it's a pretty cool tool -- however, the bundled suspend/hibernate framework included on the kernel also works).

Just ensure that you have told grub where the resume partition is (you know, the resume=/point/to/swap flag) and build your pretty cool suspend/hibernating script. Usually, when you get a blinking cursor means that some part of your hardware isn't able to suspend and resume properly. According to my experience, this happens mostly with crappy drivers often used by wireless cards.

I leave my script for your information. Modify it as your needs and place it on /etc/pm/sleep.d/ and chmod'it +x.

00sleep.sh

#! /bin/bash
case $1 in
    suspend|hibernate)
    chvt 1
    if [ $1 = "hibernate" ]; then
        sync && sync && sync
        echo 3 > /proc/sys/vm/drop_caches
        /etc/rc.d/laptop-mode stop
    fi
    /etc/rc.d/wicd stop
    dhcpcd -k ath0
    killall wpa_supplicant
    ifconfig ath0 down
    modprobe -rf ath_pci ath_rate_sample ath_hal wlan_tkip wlan_scan_sta wlan 
    ;;
    resume|thaw)
    modprobe ath_pci
    if [ $1 = "resume" ]; then
        vbetool post
    fi
    /etc/rc.d/wicd start
    if [ $1 = "thaw" ]; then
        /etc/rc.d/laptop-mode start
    fi
    /usr/lib/wicd/autoconnect.py &
    chvt 7
    ;;
esac

There are more elegant solutions for this problem, but in my case, I prefer the functional approach.

Greetings

Last edited by kjon (2008-07-03 13:27:27)

They say that if you play a Win cd backward you hear satanic messages. That's nothing! 'cause if you play it forwards, it installs windows.

#3 2008-07-03 14:13:10

chuckychuck
Website

you were right, it was wifi related, instead of using your script, i switched to networkmanager, and it works !!
it seems networkmanager is compatible with suspending ( maybe it unloads the necessary modules and shutdowns the network entirely )

#4 2008-07-03 14:20:18

moljac024

About your first post and the statement of Arch being slightly faster than openSUSE - you've got to be kidding me! Either something is wrong with your Arch setup or you weren't running openSUSE  (hard to believe it could be so fast) big_smile

The day Microsoft makes a product that doesn't suck, is the day they make a vacuum cleaner.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
But if they tell you that I've lost my mind, maybe it's not gone just a little hard to find...

#5 2008-07-03 14:33:09

chuckychuck
Website

lol
yeah i installed the version 11 of opensuse, it was already quite fast, the fastest i've ever tried before Archlinux !!

a lot of people complained about speed issues with opensuse, but they were talking about versions 10.x,  but it seems the new version ( 11 ) is really faster than the previous ones
before installing archlinux i knew i would not be twice as fast, as opensuse was really really fast already :
- all kde apps were 99% responsive, absolutely no "lag" when scrolling/toggling menus, navigating throughout the filesystem with konqueror, all apps start very fast, scrolling within opera/firefox/vim is 200% smooth

maybe it's hardware related .. i have an ati 9700 mobility 128m card, P4 3Ghz, 512 Ram ( laptop )

the only speed problems i have are flashplugin related, movies sometimes "stutters" for example on youtube/dailymotion, HD flash movies do not work ( i got about 1 image per/second ... ), although my glxgears is 3300, but i have those flash problems with every distro i tried ( ubuntu, mandriva, suse and now arch )

Board footer