You are not logged in.

#1 2008-07-12 19:56:15

Megawatt25

[SOLVED] Speakers do not mute when headphones are plugged in.

I am at wit's end with this problem. When I plug headphones into my computer, the sound comes out of the headphones, but out of my monitor's built-in speakers, too. This is not a hardware problem, because the speakers would mute automatically when I was using Windblows XP, Windblows Vista, and Ubuntu Linux. I have spent hours Googling for a solution, but none have worked. Solutions I have tried:
-Installing the alsa-plugins package
-Installing the jack-audio-connection-kit package
-Adding options snd-hda-intel model=auto to /etc/modprobe.conf
-Adding options snd-hda-intel model=laptop to /etc/modprobe.conf (I'm not on a laptop!)
-Adding all sorts of other obscure things to /etc/modprobe.conf
-Muting "Front" in ALSAMixer (It worked, but the sound came out of the headphones so quietly that I could barely hear anything.)
-Muting "Surround" in ALSAMixer
-Turning on "headphone jack sense" in GNOME or KDE's mixer (I'm using Fluxbox - I don't have a GUI mixer.)
The results of lspci | grep Audio:
00:05.0 Audio device: nVidia Corporation MCP61 High Definition Audio (rev a2)
My computer is NOT a laptop, it is an HP Pavilion a6030n PC. If there are no other solutions, I could just manually mute the speakers each time I plug in headphones, but that would be really, REALLY annoying. If anybody knows anything about how to fix this problem, could you please tell me? Thank you. All of the forum posts I looked up were for laptops! Sorry if this kind of problem has already been posted before!

Last edited by Megawatt25 (2008-07-13 13:34:37)

#2 2008-07-12 21:51:12

sph
Website

Re: [SOLVED] Speakers do not mute when headphones are plugged in.

Searching via Google for the motherboard that (probably) is used in your Pavilion a6030n leads to the following page:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/docu … 75&lang=en

Under "Onboard audio" it says: Audio CODEC: ALC888

You can verify this by opening a terminal and typing:

cat /proc/asound/card0/codec\#* | grep Codec

Look up the options for your codec in the following source:

http://www.mjmwired.net/kernel/Document … ration.txt

If your codec is ALC888 you will find the options you need starting at line 857 (ALC883/888).
I think you should start with the following option: 6stack-hp

So modify again your /etc/modprobe.conf:

options snd-hda-intel model=6stack-hp

Last edited by sph (2008-07-12 21:56:17)

#3 2008-07-13 13:24:37

Megawatt25

Re: [SOLVED] Speakers do not mute when headphones are plugged in.

It works! I had to set it to 6stack-dell, though, which is odd because my computer isn't a Dell. Thank you so much!

Board footer