You are not logged in.

#1 2008-07-30 08:49:43

drag0nl0rd
Package Maintainer (PM)
Website

[solved] mutt, msmtp & gmail not working, TLS certificate veri. failed

Today I can't send emails again, ending up with this message:

msmtp: TLS certificate verification failed: the certificate hasn't got a known issuer
msmtp: could not send mail

I got this issue a week ago, then I downloaded the ca-certificates package and changed everything according to http://mychael.gotdns.com/blog/2007/04/ … archlinux/ the it worked again, but today it's back sad
Anyone with the same issue or working config?
My config here:

account                   gmail-sec
host         smtp.gmail.com
protocol                   smtp
auth         on
user        myname@gmail.com
password                  mypass
tls        on
port        587
tls_trust_file    /usr/share/ca-certificates/mozilla/Thawte_Premium_Server_CA.crt

Last edited by drag0nl0rd (2008-07-30 09:33:09)

#2 2008-07-30 09:01:55

Zeist
Arch Linux f@h Team Member

Re: [solved] mutt, msmtp & gmail not working, TLS certificate veri. failed

They switched certificates sometime really recently

They now have an equifax certificate for their smtp server: Equifax_Secure_CA.crt is the one you need.

Last edited by Zeist (2008-07-30 09:03:59)

I haven't lost my mind; I have a tape back-up somewhere.
Twitter

#3 2008-07-30 09:30:37

drag0nl0rd
Package Maintainer (PM)
Website

Zeist wrote:

They switched certificates sometime really recently
They now have an equifax certificate for their smtp server: Equifax_Secure_CA.crt is the one you need.

You are right! Thanks, you saved my day smile

#4 2008-07-30 09:42:41

shining
Pacman Developer

This is definitely information that needs to be added there :
http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Mut … p_for_SMTP

I don't use msmtp much but probably I will run into that issue sooner or later, so when that happens, I will test that change and try to update that wiki page if no one did it then.

pacman roulette : pacman -S $(pacman -Slq | LANG=C sort -R | head -n $((RANDOM % 10)))

#5 2008-07-30 14:09:26

drag0nl0rd
Package Maintainer (PM)
Website

@shining: on that wiki page is a link to another web page which explains the certificates issue
(msmtp, TLS, and ArchLinux gives instructions on how to configure the certificate for msmtp.) and on that page I found a week ago the solution for my problem. So now I put a comment with the latest used certificate. But if you have time, you can of course also change the wiki page smile

#6 2008-07-30 14:47:53

shining
Pacman Developer

drag0nl0rd wrote:

@shining: on that wiki page is a link to another web page which explains the certificates issue
(msmtp, TLS, and ArchLinux gives instructions on how to configure the certificate for msmtp.) and on that page I found a week ago the solution for my problem. So now I put a comment with the latest used certificate. But if you have time, you can of course also change the wiki page smile

Ok I see, there is a comment on that external page. Well, that will do for now.

However, what I would like to see eventually is a small wiki page dedicated to msmtp, with all required information on it, so that we don't need to look at other blog post. And then replace the msmtp section on mutt page by a simple link to that new msmtp page.
There is no reason to tie msmtp with mutt.

pacman roulette : pacman -S $(pacman -Slq | LANG=C sort -R | head -n $((RANDOM % 10)))

#7 2008-08-03 19:19:42

shining
Pacman Developer

shining wrote:
drag0nl0rd wrote:

Ok I see, there is a comment on that external page. Well, that will do for now.

However, what I would like to see eventually is a small wiki page dedicated to msmtp, with all required information on it, so that we don't need to look at other blog post. And then replace the msmtp section on mutt page by a simple link to that new msmtp page.
There is no reason to tie msmtp with mutt.

As I expected, I eventually ran into this problem and had to fix it, which reminded me of this thread.
So here it is :
http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Msmtp
http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Mutt#Sending_Mail

Please do not hesitate to improve it as you see fit.

Board footer