You are not logged in.

#1 2008-08-08 10:57:08

Reploid

openbox icons not installing [SOLVED]

I am trying to change the look of how my windows and my filemanager (thunar) looks in my newly installed window manager. I am using lxappearance to set themes and icons. This is the guide I am using, that has been recommended on the forum, but it is for ubuntu. http://urukrama.wordpress.com/openbox-guide/

Lxappearance shows three tabs when I open the program; window, icon and other.
In the icon tab, no matter which of the icon themes I highlight, the icons don't change.
I extracted a icon theme called XubuntuStudio to the .icons folder in my home directory. The name Xubuntu studio will show up, but the icons don't change when I highlight it and click OK.

It seems to be the same problems with the themes as well, they won't change.

Furthermore, when I use the dialog button "install" in the lxappearance menu, the icon themes I click on aren't installed, they don't even show up in the menu. Those icon themes showing up with (their name only) in the menu, are the ones I have manually extracted.

Can anyone offer assistance?

Last edited by Reploid (2008-08-08 16:42:26)

#2 2008-08-08 12:51:21

heleos

Re: openbox icons not installing [SOLVED]

Try to see if they work without lxappearance. Edit your .gtkrc-2.0 file and add the following:

gtk-icon-theme-name="XubuntuStudio"

if your .gtkrc-2.0 file looks like this (mine does):

# -- THEME AUTO-WRITTEN DO NOT EDIT
include "/home/heleos/.themes/Elegant Mine/gtk-2.0/gtkrc"

include "/home/heleos/.gtkrc.mine"

# -- THEME AUTO-WRITTEN DO NOT EDIT

Then add gtk-icon-theme-name="XubuntuStudio" to the .gtkrc.mine file

#3 2008-08-08 13:25:40

Reploid

My .gtkrc-2.0 file:

# DO NOT EDIT!  This file will be overwritten by LXAppearance.
# Any customization should be done in ~/.gtkrc-2.0.mine

gtk-theme-name="Aurora"
gtk-icon-theme-name="XubuntuStudio"
gtk-font-name="Sans 9"
gtk-toolbar-style=0
include "/home/me/.gtkrc-2.0.mine"

My .gtkrc-2.0.mine: (had to make this file myself, as it didn't exist)

#I created this file myself, it was referenced in the file lxappearance creates: gtkrc-2.0, but it didn't exist.
gtk-icon-theme-name = "XubuntuStudio"
gtk-toolbar-style = GTK_TOOLBAR_ICONS

And this is a .gtkrc.mine file I also created myself, and included in the first code in this post, but Lxappearance deletes it (I think)

gtk-icon-theme-name = "XubuntuStudio"

#4 2008-08-08 13:58:58

Reploid

Could it be that there are some system-wide config file, that ruins the configuration files I tinker with in my home folder? Where are the files that set the gtk style for all users located?

#5 2008-08-08 14:17:51

Reploid

found out! big_smile I had installed xfce-mcs-manager. This obviously conflicted with lxappearance. After commenting out xfce-mcs-manager, i was able to both install themes, and icons using lxappearance.

I also tried starting up gnome-settings-daemon to see the effect, and all folders + wallpaper were the same as in gnome. Out of interest: what is the program/command I need to include in my openbox menu to configure icons and themes by using the gnome-settings-daemon and the xfce-mcs-manager?

Thx for help, btw.:)

#6 2008-08-08 15:36:22

Factory

Reploid wrote:

found out! big_smile I had installed xfce-mcs-manager. This obviously conflicted with lxappearance. After commenting out xfce-mcs-manager, i was able to both install themes, and icons using lxappearance.

I also tried starting up gnome-settings-daemon to see the effect, and all folders + wallpaper were the same as in gnome. Out of interest: what is the program/command I need to include in my openbox menu to configure icons and themes by using the gnome-settings-daemon and the xfce-mcs-manager?

Thx for help, btw.:)

You would probably need to use some gnome and xfce tool respectively. It's best to use whatever settings daemon a de uses only in the de to avoid confusion (at least that's what I find). Using lxappearance and _not_ using xfce-mcs-manager / gnome-settings-daemon will do just fine. Don't run two at the same time as they _will_ conflict. Besides, there's no point in doing this, anyway.

#7 2008-08-08 16:52:25

thayer
Fellow
Website

Reploid wrote:

Out of interest: what is the program/command I need to include in my openbox menu to configure icons and themes by using the gnome-settings-daemon and the xfce-mcs-manager?

This will do the trick for the gnome-settings-daemon:

<item label="Control Center"> <action name="Execute"> <execute>gnome-control-center</execute> </action> </item>

...and if you're running xfce-mcs-manager for Xfce:

<item label="Xfce Settings"> <action name="Execute"> <execute>xfce-setting-show</execute> </action> </item>

Last edited by thayer (2008-08-08 17:18:49)

thayer williams ~ cinderwick.ca

Board footer