You are not logged in.

#551 2008-10-27 19:08:35

Gringo

Re: Arch on Asus EEE 901

I usually have problems connecting to networks with my wireless cards. I can usually scan, but I'm not always able to associate or connect to my router. Nowadays I use networkmanager + GNOME nm-applet (networkmanager systemtray applet) by default. I'm using this also on my eeePC under XFCE as described on this wiki: http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/NetworkManager .

You might have already tried this, but I wanted to share it anyway. nm-applet is not really the most lightweight solution, but it has solved all my connecting problems smile If this doesn't work, I can't really advice anything else sad

#552 2008-10-27 21:06:46

tehabe

Am I really the only one with wakeup problems on the 1000H?

Chiro' hint with the logger entries in /etc/acpi/eee/user didn't work.

Earlier eee901-acpi packages didn't work either, so my current bet is on the kernel version but currently I don't have the time for that.

Update: I just tried the stock kernel, the suspend mode worked w/o problems. So I think there is a bug with the current kernel, but again. I have no idea what bug it is. Since no verbose information available.

Last edited by tehabe (2008-10-28 17:35:57)

#553 2008-10-27 21:43:28

lejonet

@Gringo

Thanks for the advice but I must unfortunatley say that I have already tried that, I installed gnome and gnome-extra and with that it comes but it didn't even find my interfaces, no matter how much I tried sad

I think it has something to do with the driver or that my wpa_supplicant is wrong (even tho i've followed several guides to set that up, last one was the one in the wiki but still nada)

Edit:

Recently gdm and my graphics crashed down on me, not so fun sad but it all came out to the better, I manually uninstalled gdm and installed xfce, and then I started to notice a fail to initialize whenever I reboot, the dbus daemon fails to initialize due to the old .pid file weren't being removed, and I actually managed to connect to a unsecured network when I manually restarted dbus and wicd today, but I only managed to do it once tho sad

Regarding the wireless issue, I am going to try the rt2x00 drivers from serialmonkey and see if they work any better than those that are built into the kernel. Because I couldn't get the rt2860 driver source from ralink to compile, but I downloaded their newest firmware and put it in /lib/firmware, hopefully it'll change something wink Ill keep you guys updated on progress with rt2x00

Edit 2:
Catastrophic failure, the rt2x00 drivers wanted LILO o.O so didn't get further than make with that one sad dam this is annoying, the wireless is the only thing that aint working like I want on my little laptop sad The sound doesn't work, but I aint gonna be playing music on this one anyways

Last edited by lejonet (2008-10-29 21:25:52)

Like I say everytime someone looks at me in a weird way "Hey, im a computer technician, I am allowed to open up everything I can and take a peek inside tongue"

#554 2008-10-30 03:17:31

Skitals

Just got my 901 today, and first think I did was install Arch Linux (after making sure everything works). I did a simple base install, installed the zen-eee901-1G kernel, acpi-eee901, xorg, xf86-video-intel, synaptics, xf86-input-evdev, alsa-utils, alsa-lib, etc. I'm running XFCE without a login manager (1 user besides root). I'm running into 2 major problems: wireless and sound.

For the wireless I am using Wicd. First time I tried it worked without a hitch. Upon reboot it wouldn't reconnect to my wireless network. It would get to "obtaining IP address" and just give up after a bit. When I try setting a static IP, it acts like its connected but assigns no essid and shows signal at 10% (tray icon says "Connected to  at 10%"). The connection isn't functional. If I mess with the settings long enough (switching back and forth between static and dhcp, and trying different APs, it eventually connects and works perfectly until I reboot! This is driving me up the wall.

Sound is even worse, I cant get it to work at all. I have set MOD_AUTOLOAD="yes" and can confirm it is loading the sound modules. lspci -v displays the sound card. When I run the alsa config it detects the sound card and configures it. However, dmesg always says "no soundcard detected", and I cant get a peep out of the speakers. The xfce4-mixer doesn't list any sound device and has no controls.

For both issues I've tried everything from the wikis and google. If anyone has any guesses or hints it would be MUCH appreciated!

#555 2008-10-30 03:25:51

Blind

Hi,
since the last upgrade, the 3rd and 4th silver button don't work anymore (1G kernel, acpi-eee901)...no OSD, no change. Does that happen to anyone else?
cheers,
Blind

#556 2008-10-30 07:55:49

Gringo

Blind wrote:

Hi,
since the last upgrade, the 3rd and 4th silver button don't work anymore (1G kernel, acpi-eee901)...no OSD, no change. Does that happen to anyone else?
cheers,
Blind

I don't know if you've noticed, but there's a new file called /etc/acpi/eee.conf.pacnew . This is the new template for your eee.conf. I usually just delete my old config file and copy the new one to /etc/acpi/eee.conf and configure. This solved the silver button  problem for me.

#557 2008-10-30 09:12:03

Foschini

The wireless connection is extremely buggy on zenkernel, I think there is some conflicts between zen-patch and iwl4965 module... wicd doesn't recognize any wireless connection at all.
Networkmanager works 1 time out of 10: when it works in about 10 minutes all the system freeze. I can't reboot the system even with the Magic SysRq key, an hard restart is required. When it doesn't work the nm-applet prompts wrong certification credential (e.g. WEP 128bit when the access point is configured with WEP64, WPA2 instead of WPA/EAP etc.) so is impossible to connect because I can't type the proper credential key.
I've modified Robertek PKGBUILD  to not apply zenkernel patch an now all work like a charm.
If someone else have this problem I can provide my modified PKGBUILD (I've just commented out zenkernel-patch and did some minor tweaks in kernel.config), or maybe Robertek may provide a version of eeekernel without zen patch in his repo.

#558 2008-10-30 09:29:10

Robertek
Website

Foschini wrote:

The wireless connection is extremely buggy on zenkernel, I think there is some conflicts between zen-patch and iwl4965 module... wicd doesn't recognize any wireless connection at all.
Networkmanager works 1 time out of 10: when it works in about 10 minutes all the system freeze. I can't reboot the system even with the Magic SysRq key, an hard restart is required. When it doesn't work the nm-applet prompts wrong certification credential (e.g. WEP 128bit when the access point is configured with WEP64, WPA2 instead of WPA/EAP etc.) so is impossible to connect because I can't type the proper credential key.
I've modified Robertek PKGBUILD  to not apply zenkernel patch an now all work like a charm.
If someone else have this problem I can provide my modified PKGBUILD (I've just commented out zenkernel-patch and did some minor tweaks in kernel.config), or maybe Robertek may provide a version of eeekernel without zen patch in his repo.

Im updating the kernel now, I was thinking about the non-zen kernel, but it will be a lot of patching to make everything work and I dont know if I had time for that. Will look at it. Better way is to update the stock arch kernel.

Try to sync updated kernel in next 12 hours and test, if it isnt solve anything try to compare with stock.

This week Im out of the city much of the time so dont have so much time to update.

#559 2008-10-30 09:32:54

Robertek
Website

Blind wrote:

Hi,
cheers,
Blind

Update your config and try to press anything (that doesnt work) and post your "tail -n 20 /var/log/everything.log"

good tip for upgrading configs is sdiff (I have updated the eee.conf to be nice with sdiff):

sdiff -d eee.conf eee.conf.pacnew -o eee.conf.new

#560 2008-10-30 11:45:55

lejonet

So that is why I cannot access ur repo? Would explain alot wink

Well I decided that the current Arch install I had was foobar so I decided to just format everything and restart from scratch and i'll be waiting to test ur updated kernel.

Even tho i'd have quite some problems with Arch and my eeepc I am still stuck here now, I looove it tongue and the kernel you guys have put so much effort in just put a star over Arch Linux and their community. I hope that I in the future can help with either testing or such with this kernel, just need to become more familiar with Arch and linux again.

Last edited by lejonet (2008-10-30 11:46:27)

Like I say everytime someone looks at me in a weird way "Hey, im a computer technician, I am allowed to open up everything I can and take a peek inside tongue"

#561 2008-10-30 12:16:55

Robertek
Website

Updated. Everything:

acpi-eee:

*) fsb.sh fix
*) suspend2ram.sh loging (cat /var/log/everything.log), commented vbetool (may cause crashes, please test)

zen-eee901-1G/4G:

*) zen3 update
*) tux-on-ice as module (hibernation), google for howtos
*) disabled preemptible rcu (may couse some crashes)
*) enabled rfkill in iwl core (may help the 4965 users)

#562 2008-10-30 12:17:24

chori

tehabe wrote:

Am I really the only one with wakeup problems on the 1000H?

Chiro' hint with the logger entries in /etc/acpi/eee/user didn't work.

Earlier eee901-acpi packages didn't work either, so my current bet is on the kernel version but currently I don't have the time for that.

Update: I just tried the stock kernel, the suspend mode worked w/o problems. So I think there is a bug with the current kernel, but again. I have no idea what bug it is. Since no verbose information available.

The fact that resume works with the stock kernel, but not with the zen-eee901 kernel, indicates a problem unloading/loading some modules, since the suspend scripts are exactly the same for both kernels (unless you replaced acpi-eee901 with some other acpi package, also.)

The script in question is /etc/acpi/eee/suspend2ram.sh.  It's a very simple script, does nothing special.  Can you send me, or post online, the contents of your eee.conf file, so I can see if you have the acpi environment configured to execute any pre or post suspend commands, or run the FSB autosuspend routines?  The way to approach this is to systematically execute each step (or edit /etc/acpi/eee/suspend2ram.sh to log each step to a file), so you can determine at which point it hangs.

#563 2008-10-30 12:19:08

Robertek
Website

lejonet wrote:

So that is why I cannot access ur repo? Would explain alot wink

Well I decided that the current Arch install I had was foobar so I decided to just format everything and restart from scratch and i'll be waiting to test ur updated kernel.

Even tho i'd have quite some problems with Arch and my eeepc I am still stuck here now, I looove it tongue and the kernel you guys have put so much effort in just put a star over Arch Linux and their community. I hope that I in the future can help with either testing or such with this kernel, just need to become more familiar with Arch and linux again.

I had some problems with connection to server, so maybe the repo was sometimes down. But it is supposed to work nonstop.

Every testing is appreciated.

#564 2008-10-30 12:39:57

lejonet

Downloading the newest kernel and acpi now to test and see if they work, will report on progress when everything is downloaded and done.

@Robertek
Ah, I understand then, would also explain why I had unstable download speed during the night when trying to get the kernel.

#565 2008-10-30 13:33:17

Izuil

First off, god job Robertek smile

I found a link to an eee specific wireless driver that is supposed to be alot better smile

http://forum.eeeuser.com/viewtopic.php?pid=409638  Hope you can include it in your kernel soon if it really is better.

EDIT: I seem to have the same problem as lejonet, I can connect but it won't download sad

EDIT2: Now it seems as I can connect to your server but the download speed is 150 bytes/sec sad

Last edited by Izuil (2008-10-30 15:45:52)

#566 2008-10-30 14:02:23

lejonet

@Robertek

I dont seem to be able to download the kernel from your server, seems like you're still got the connection issue cuz I cant even start the download, but I somehow managed to download the newer acpi-eee package.

If you could mail it to me or if someone else that manage to download it could email it to me and/or upload it somewhere so I can download it and install it to test it on my eee.

@Izuil

When I manage to get a working kernel to my 901 I will both try the built-in and the one you linked too. I hope both works or that atleast one of em works wink Because if they work I'll be content with my 901 and can start using it for the purpose I bought it for tongue

When I get ahold of the kernel package I will report back with my issues (if any)

#567 2008-10-30 16:50:39

Skitals

I was able to slowly fetch both packages and install. Now it's not detecting any wireless card. I saw this twice in my dmesg:

modprobe: FATAL: Could not load /lib/modules/2.6.27-zen3eee/modules.dep: No such file or directory

Edit: Just checked, and the file DOES exist. Weird.

Still not detecting my soundcard, either.

Last edited by Skitals (2008-10-30 16:52:50)

#568 2008-10-30 16:58:38

tehabe

Skitals wrote:

modprobe: FATAL: Could not load /lib/modules/2.6.27-zen3eee/modules.dep: No such file or directory

I get a kernel panic because this file doesn't exist, even though it does.

Thomas

#569 2008-10-30 17:01:39

Skitals

Regarding sound, I don't recall noticing what version was included with the last kernel, but I see my ALSA driver is version 1.0.17. The wiki states that the packaged kernels include v1.0.18, and I see in the alsa changelog that eee 90* support was only added in the latest version.

#570 2008-10-30 17:25:46

chori

tehabe wrote:
Skitals wrote:

I get a kernel panic because this file doesn't exist, even though it does.

Thomas

That message is maybe coming from the initrd process on boot?  Check back in the early pages of this thread for more information about it.

#571 2008-10-30 17:27:21

lejonet

@Skitals

I was able to slowly but surely get the package, and install went smooth. But I have the same error message you get but the difference for me is that I can see my wireless card but I cant get a dhcp lease thru text-mode, I haven't come to the part of installing X yet, and that will have to wait till I come back in like 2 hours or something. Other than that all packages have been installed successfully and atleast my wired ethernet works out-of-the-box.

#572 2008-10-30 19:08:19

tehabe

chori wrote:

The fact that resume works with the stock kernel, but not with the zen-eee901 kernel, indicates a problem unloading/loading some modules, since the suspend scripts are exactly the same for both kernels (unless you replaced acpi-eee901 with some other acpi package, also.)

I really should have tried that earlier but the guilty module is the rt2860sta module. When I turn off my wireless card it works w/o problems.

Maybe I should turn off wifi off before suspend and turn it on again afterwards. there was a user script in the thread somewhere ...

#573 2008-10-30 19:10:35

chori

tehabe wrote:
chori wrote:

I really should have tried that earlier but the guilty module is the rt2860sta module. When I turn off my wireless card it works w/o problems.

Maybe I should turn off wifi off before suspend and turn it on again afterwards. there was a user script in the thread somewhere ...

This one?

#574 2008-10-30 19:17:47

tehabe

chori wrote:
tehabe wrote:
chori wrote:

This one?

Yeah, but wlan.sh is working too. Bluetooth is not my problem. So I turn off wifi befor suspend and turn it on afterwards. But the connection to my network is very slow now :-(

I could kick the developer of the driver to the moon for that. I should somehow report that bug the Ralink.

#575 2008-10-30 19:28:36

chori

tehabe wrote:
chori wrote:
tehabe wrote:

This one?

Yeah, but wlan.sh is working too. Bluetooth is not my problem. So I turn off wifi befor suspend and turn it on afterwards. But the connection to my network is very slow now :-(

I could kick the developer of the driver to the moon for that. I should somehow report that bug the Ralink.

$20.00 USD will get you an Intel wireless card.  Avoid the 3945 if you can, go for the 4965 (same price more-or-less, I think).

Board footer