You are not logged in.

#526 2008-10-24 12:15:15

fgrano

Re: Arch on Asus EEE 901

New package works ok, wlan works, bluetooth works, camera works. No errors..!
When returning from standby i have to restart bluetooth daemon to be able to connect my phone but other than that I'm very happy!

Thank you! smile

#527 2008-10-24 13:11:06

chori

fgrano wrote:

New package works ok, wlan works, bluetooth works, camera works. No errors..!
When returning from standby i have to restart bluetooth daemon to be able to connect my phone but other than that I'm very happy!

Thank you! smile

I had a few issues with my iwl3945 wireless card, wicd, and bluetooth coming back from suspend, so I wrote this simple script and installed it as /usr/local/sbin/wlan-bt-suspend.sh:

#! /bin/sh

source /etc/acpi/eee.conf

PWR=$(cat $WIRELESS_SWITCH)

STATE=$(cat /var/run/wireless-suspend.state 2>/dev/null || echo "0")

case $1 in
    resume)       
         /etc/rc.d/bluetooth restart
        if [ "$STATE" = "0" ]; then
            exit;
        fi
        /etc/acpi/eee/wlan.sh poweron
        /usr/lib/wicd/autoconnect.py
        rm -f /var/run/wireless-suspend.state
        ;;

suspend)
        if [ "$PWR" = "1" ]; then
            echo 1 > /var/run/wireless-suspend.state
            /usr/lib/wicd/suspend.py
            /etc/acpi/eee/wlan.sh poweroff
        else
            echo 0 > /var/run/wireless-suspend.state
        fi
        ;;
esac

The wireless service suspends and resumes only if it was turned off before suspend;  all the bluetooth restart does is unload, reload the modules, the bluetooth switch remains unchanged.

Then I modified /etc/acpi/eee.conf, changing these two parameters:

PRE_SUSPEND_COMMAND="/usr/local/sbin/wlan-bt-suspend.sh suspend"
POST_SUSPEND_COMMAND="/usr/local/sbin/wlan-bt-suspend.sh resume"

... and now my wireless connection and bluetooth resume from suspend (sometimes it takes a little while, but they do come back.)

Last edited by chori (2008-10-24 13:12:49)

#528 2008-10-24 15:50:08

zaibach

Thanks Robertek and everyone, zen-eee901 works flawless and is great to have Arch as the distro of choice for the eee.

The only little 'annoyance' i found is that I'm unable to specify to boot under a proper vesafb resolution like vga=789.

Thanks again smile

Last edited by zaibach (2008-10-25 08:12:47)

#529 2008-10-24 19:52:34

tehabe

Since the last update of the acpi package I can send me 1000H to "sleep" but I can't wake it. Well partly it works but the screen stays black and it doesn't seem to react on hotkeys.

I have to shut it down the hard way.

#530 2008-10-24 20:55:30

chori

tehabe wrote:

Since the last update of the acpi package I can send me 1000H to "sleep" but I can't wake it. Well partly it works but the screen stays black and it doesn't seem to react on hotkeys.

Try commenting out the lines that begin with "logger" in /etc/acpi/eee/user.

#531 2008-10-25 02:05:37

ungraven

tehabe wrote:

I had an issue where I would unplug AC and the screen would go blank. I think what was happening was (and I was running a very low screen brightness) that either it was dropping a couple of levels of brightness and therefore just going to black, or it was just dropping to black completely.
I found by increasing brightness with Fn-F4 worked fine, and now no more restarts.

#532 2008-10-25 02:51:02

Blind

chori,

thanks for putting in the stepping back to "normal" in the fsb.sh script before suspending.
However, you missed VOLTAGE=$NVOLT instead of VOLTAGE=$LVOLT, and I would make '-lt' a '-ne', if  I think about it.
I found the reference, which is the the page stated on th wiki:
http://wiki.eeeuser.com/howto:overclockfsb (last section: Hibernating/suspending overclocked PC)
MMh, maybe not even needed for underclocked...but can't hurt, right?
Thanks for the work!
Cheers,
Blind

#533 2008-10-25 06:05:56

tehabe

chori wrote:
tehabe wrote:

Try commenting out the lines that begin with "logger" in /etc/acpi/eee/user.

No effect, still the screen is blank and the computer doesn't react on the keyboard.

#534 2008-10-25 14:03:46

chori

Blind wrote:

chori,

thanks for putting in the stepping back to "normal" in the fsb.sh script before suspending.
However, you missed VOLTAGE=$NVOLT instead of VOLTAGE=$LVOLT, and I would make '-lt' a '-ne', if  I think about it.
I found the reference, which is the the page stated on th wiki:
http://wiki.eeeuser.com/howto:overclockfsb (last section: Hibernating/suspending overclocked PC)
MMh, maybe not even needed for underclocked...but can't hurt, right?
Thanks for the work!
Cheers,
Blind

Thanks for pointing it out.  I'll make the changes, get them into the next release of acpi-eee901.

#535 2008-10-25 18:26:35

tehabe

Is there a way to get the suspend2ram modus more verbose so that I can find the problem I currently have?

#536 2008-10-25 20:26:45

qdiesel

2 Robertek
can you recompile latest zen-eee901 with hibernation support?

#537 2008-10-25 20:52:45

elliott

qdiesel wrote:

2 Robertek

That isn't going to be a commonly used feature, since most of us don't have swap, so it really isn't likely to be included. I would imagine that if you do have swap, it would be on the 2nd SSD, which has painfully slow write speeds, it might actually be faster to just shut it down, I know mine starts in well under a minute.

You can get all of the files needed to compile your own kernel with the features you want here:
http://robertek.brevnov.net/files/linux/arch/

It is really easy, I compiled my own to add joystick support.

#538 2008-10-25 21:23:07

qdiesel

i'not accustomed with kernel configuring and stuff
what do you suppose to be the fastest way to add s2disk support?

#539 2008-10-25 23:06:19

pxhza

Hi,

First of all: sorry if this message comes in wrong place, just ignore me if it does.

I tried to install arch into my eee901, but I came up with problems. (those instructions aren't too clear and I'm newbie with linux, just tried Ubuntu a few times...)

1) Which guide I should start (beginners guide?) and how long I have to follow it before moving to eee- or eee901-guide?

2) Is the "archlinux-2008.06-core-i686.img" right one?

3) Is it "good" to make partitions like this: 4GB SSD --> / and 16GB SSD --> /home.

4) This: http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Beg … t_Packages   says that I should first choose which package categories I want, but in installer there is only one option "base-devel" (or something like that). It also says "Choose OK to continue and then choose 'yes' for 'Select all packages by default', for now." but installer doesn't ask it at any point...

5) In "daemons" configure part there is by default two lines which start with "none" (or something like that) and then two lines which start "UUID=xxxxxxxx..." Do I have to do some changes in here?

Don't die while laughing to these questions big_smile

Sorry about my poor English wink

#540 2008-10-25 23:49:00

inf
Website

I seem to be having a problem with the wlan switching.

When I bootup i see a error message concerning pciehp module. Anyone else have this?

#541 2008-10-26 00:34:57

elliott

qdiesel wrote:

i'not accustomed with kernel configuring and stuff
what do you suppose to be the fastest way to add s2disk support?

First, get the PKGBUILD and all associated files for the kernel you want to build from his repository.

I don't have the dependencies for 'make xconfig', so I edited his PKGBUILD to use 'make menuconfig', which was a matter of replacing one with the other under the "# make the kernel" heading of the PKGBUILD.

Run makepkg and when it gets to the configuration part just go to "Power management options" then enable "Hibernation (aka 'suspend to disk')" and "Enhanced Hibernation (TuxOnIce)", you don't have to specify a "Default resume partition", just add the 'resume=/dev/whatever' to the kernel line of your boot loader. Exit out of the configuration utility and let makepkg continue to do its job. Then pacman -U the new kernel.

Your resume partition is going to be your swap partition, it must be at least the size of the RAM in your system.

#542 2008-10-26 09:42:20

slappinjohn

pxhza wrote:

Hi,

First of all: sorry if this message comes in wrong place, just ignore me if it does.

I tried to install arch into my eee901, but I came up with problems. (those instructions aren't too clear and I'm newbie with linux, just tried Ubuntu a few times...)

1) Which guide I should start (beginners guide?) and how long I have to follow it before moving to eee- or eee901-guide?

2) Is the "archlinux-2008.06-core-i686.img" right one?

3) Is it "good" to make partitions like this: 4GB SSD --> / and 16GB SSD --> /home.

4) This: http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Beg … t_Packages   says that I should first choose which package categories I want, but in installer there is only one option "base-devel" (or something like that). It also says "Choose OK to continue and then choose 'yes' for 'Select all packages by default', for now." but installer doesn't ask it at any point...

5) In "daemons" configure part there is by default two lines which start with "none" (or something like that) and then two lines which start "UUID=xxxxxxxx..." Do I have to do some changes in here?

Don't die while laughing to these questions big_smile

Hi, first of all: there are no stupid questions, just stupid answers!

Just install a clean arch-linux using the i686-core.img (write it to an usb-stick via dd if=archlinux-2008.06-core-i686.img of=/dev/sd(x) whatever your stick is) using the beginners and install guide in the wiki, then start with the Arch on Eee 901 -wiki. Any questions on basic install procedure --> mail me (in english or german) , btw: selecting base-devel is a good thing if you plan to build your own programs from source (e.g. when they are not in the arch repos)

Last edited by slappinjohn (2008-10-26 09:44:28)

#543 2008-10-26 11:51:00

Cotton

Anyone tried compcache on a 901?

Is there any noticeable difference?

#544 2008-10-26 14:24:27

Gringo

I was checking my dmesg output today and I noticed an error concerning EVIOCGBIT:

evdev.c(EVIOCGBIT): Suspicious buffer size 511, limiting output to 64 bytes. See http://userweb.kernel.org/~dtor/eviocgbit-bug.html

I have made a PKGBUILD for those of you who want this error to go away. It's basically the PKGBUILD of the extra repository but applied on the git tree version of the synaptics driver and the eviocgbit patch. I have tested it here and it works flawlessly.

http://rapidshare.com/files/157721340/s … ar.gz.html

EDIT: Run "dmesg | grep evdev" and see if you get the above error. No output is good smile

Last edited by Gringo (2008-10-26 14:25:57)

#545 2008-10-26 15:50:36

chori

Gringo wrote:

I was checking my dmesg output today and I noticed an error concerning EVIOCGBIT:

evdev.c(EVIOCGBIT): Suspicious buffer size 511, limiting output to 64 bytes. See http://userweb.kernel.org/~dtor/eviocgbit-bug.html

I have made a PKGBUILD for those of you who want this error to go away. It's basically the PKGBUILD of the extra repository but applied on the git tree version of the synaptics driver and the eviocgbit patch. I have tested it here and it works flawlessly.

http://rapidshare.com/files/157721340/s … ar.gz.html

EDIT: Run "dmesg | grep evdev" and see if you get the above error. No output is good smile

Yeah, I had noticed that, too.  Thanks for the patch.

#546 2008-10-26 17:39:21

Gringo

Props go to Dmitry Torokhov for creating the patch. I just merely applied it by putting it in the PKGBUILD.

#547 2008-10-26 18:45:43

Robertek
Website

qdiesel wrote:

2 Robertek

I know someone may want it but it is not so nice, It compiles sometimes and sometimes not. So I dont know if I include it.

But I dont think hibernation is useful on eee:

1) You need at minimum swap sized as ram (if you dont use filewriter, which I didnt try)
2) 2nd partition is slow and 1st is small for that
3) eee901 is generaly well in consumption, even on suspend, I'm not afraid to lose something, acpi eee is designed to suspend on ~5% battery (default) and it is pretty lot to stay there for some hours. And if someone plan to leave eee for some time, will use the AC.

#548 2008-10-26 18:49:11

Robertek
Website

Cotton wrote:

Anyone tried compcache on a 901?

Is there any noticeable difference?

Tryed compcache time ago, not on eee, but had some problem while suspend, I will buit is as module next time to try that. But I dont suggest that, eee has a lot of ram (and DDRs are cheap today to add, instead of solving troubles).

#549 2008-10-26 19:54:00

qdiesel

thanks elliot. it worked nicely
2 Robertek
hibernation may be very useful with an additional battery smile

#550 2008-10-27 18:55:56

lejonet

I must first say that I was thrilled when I got my eeepc and even more thrilled when I got to know that Arch had an kernel made for my model too tongue

My problem is that after some tinkering around I got the wireless to work, but only with the iwpriv commands and neither with networkmanager nor wicd. I've gotten the newest zen-eee901-4G kernel and I have the original ralink card.

What works?
Validating and associating with the AP
I got a DG834PN Netgear router that I have set up with a b/g wifi that uses WPA-PSK with AES
What doesn't work?
Getting a IP adress from the AP
Asoon as it has gone through the process of finding and associating with the AP it hangs at "Getting IP adress" for a min or two and then
after a long while it gives up.
Ive tried with specifying wext as the driver and specifically chosen dhclient and dhcdbd, tried the same two options with the ralink legacy driver and its only with the ralink legacy driver that I come so far that it hangs while waiting for a IP adress (which is logical, seeing as its ralink card)

If you want to see my rc.conf or any output from like dmesg or the like just ask and ill provide it, just a bit annoyed that I haven't been able to fix this issue the past days and like several others have said, what is a netbook without wireless internet?

Last edited by lejonet (2008-10-27 18:57:23)

Like I say everytime someone looks at me in a weird way "Hey, im a computer technician, I am allowed to open up everything I can and take a peek inside tongue"

Board footer