You are not logged in.

#1 2008-09-02 11:12:25

StuieT

Nepomuk problems with dolphin

Im trying to use nepomuk with KDE 4 (KDEmod). When it is activated it works fine until I try changing anything on my file system (creating moving or deleting a file).  When this happens nepomuk starts to take up 50% of the computer, It also makes dolphin unusable as it will either not load, or it will take a long time to load and the lag on anything will make using it unusable. Does anybody know if this is fixable or if I am better off turning Nepomuk off.

Thanks

#2 2008-09-02 15:15:21

signor_rossi

Re: Nepomuk problems with dolphin

Can't help you but only say that nepomukservices acts up for me too. I haven't activated it explicitly, but emptying trash through the plasma desktop widget is no joy atm, nepomukservices start and system becomes unresponsive and dolphin may even crash. Using 'Delete' from the dolphin menu works fine, though.

Bye, signorRossi.

#3 2008-09-02 23:28:23

mindfall

File management is impressively slow when Nepomuk is enabled. I gave it a chance, but disabled it after a week. From what I could gather there are two backends for Nepomuk, and one of those is terrible slow. I think Arch comes with the fast one, but I'm not 100% sure.
There is also a discussion in Kde's bugtracker; It's a rather frustrating read, because the (one of the?) developer(s) kept on insisting the reported issues would not exist. I read it a few weeks ago, maybe something has changed by now.

#4 2008-09-03 02:20:12

carlocci

I came to hate dolphin because of nepomuk. Then I disabled it and suddenly I began to enjoy dolphin

#5 2008-09-03 21:17:36

qubit

Do you have Java installed? There are two backends for soprano, sesame2 - fast and redland - extremely slow. To use sesame2 you must have Java installed. Check /.kde/share/config/nepomukserverrc and .kde/share/apps/nepomuk/repository/main and delete the directory redland.

Last edited by qubit (2008-09-03 21:19:51)

#6 2008-09-04 12:52:54

raku

qubit wrote:

Do you have Java installed? There are two backends for soprano, sesame2 - fast and redland - extremely slow. To use sesame2 you must have Java installed. Check /.kde/share/config/nepomukserverrc and .kde/share/apps/nepomuk/repository/main and delete the directory redland.

Does it work with KDEmod?
I'm unsuccessfully trying to switch from redland to sesame2.
What I did:
1. I disabled nepomuk in system settings
2. I deleted whole ~/.kde4/share/apps/nepomuk directory
3. I changed ~/.kde4/share/config/nepomukserverrc to look like this:

[Basic Settings]
Configured repositories=main
Start Nepomuk=true

[Service-nepomukmigration1]
autostart=false

[Service-nepomukstrigiservice]
autostart=true

[main Settings]
Storage Dir[$e]=$HOME/.kde4/share/apps/nepomuk/repository/main/
Used Soprano Backend=sesame2

4. I enabled nepomuk

After enabling of nepomuk, config file is rewritten for using redland, and nepomuk start to work with redland backend.

raku

#7 2008-09-04 20:41:55

qubit

What worked for me:
1) exit kde
2) from VT delete nepomuk directory and also nepomukserverrc - soprano choses sesame2 as default if it can. This was my problem i didn't have Java installed and soprano choose redland.
3) delete ~/.strigi - this is not necessary i guess but i did it.
4) start kde

#8 2008-09-04 21:48:05

raku

I've just installed KDEmod 4.1.1 on my laptop (i686) and it uses sesame2 by default. My workstation (x86_64) doesn't. I'll try what you've said - with deleting all nepomuk files - and let you know tommorow if it works.

EDITED:
I made it work :-)
I've got x86_64 on workstation (as I wrote before) and I use openjdk6 as a java environment. And the problem with sesame2 was caused by missing libjvm.so in /usr/lib.

Simple solution:

echo "/usr/lib/jvm/java-1.6.0-openjdk/jre/lib/amd64/server" >> /etc/ld.so.conf
ldconfig

And sesame starts to work.

Last edited by raku (2008-09-05 05:49:25)

raku

#9 2009-01-07 02:41:02

luche

This procedure worked perfectly on my system!

Dolphin is fast again smile

Luche

raku wrote:

I've just installed KDEmod 4.1.1 on my laptop (i686) and it uses sesame2 by default. My workstation (x86_64) doesn't. I'll try what you've said - with deleting all nepomuk files - and let you know tommorow if it works.

EDITED:
I made it work :-)
I've got x86_64 on workstation (as I wrote before) and I use openjdk6 as a java environment. And the problem with sesame2 was caused by missing libjvm.so in /usr/lib.

Simple solution:

ldconfig

And sesame starts to work.

#10 2009-01-07 08:46:54

kozer

sesame is a package?

#11 2009-01-08 21:31:09

qubit

kozer wrote:

sesame is a package?

No, it's a part of soprano package

#12 2009-01-08 22:58:22

The Orange Peanut

I've also experienced this problem.  How to tell if you Dolphin is using redland backend or sesame2?  I know before it was using redland because I remember looking it up, but I can't find how to do it again.  I'd like Dolphin to work with Neopukk...

#13 2009-01-11 15:40:47

qubit

The Orange Peanut wrote:

How to tell if you Dolphin is using redland backend or sesame2?

check ~/.kde4/share/config/nepomukserverrc
or just wait for KDE 4.2, things should get better by then ...

#14 2009-10-31 22:53:16

schivmeister
Developer/TU
Website

Why is this not a bug report?

I need real, proper pen and paper for this.

#15 2009-11-01 01:36:06

mutlu_inek

This is a common problem with the Arch soprano packaging. There were a number of bugs which about this. Currently, one is open (it was opened by me), but there is not progress. For me, soprano does not use sesame2 when I have OpenJDK installed, nor when I install Sun' JRE. However, the very solution offered in this thread works for me (which is reported in the bug report). It _only_ works with Sun's JRE, though.

Unfortunately, the developers seem to think that modifying /etc/ld.so.conf is not a proper solution, but don't have an alternative. In fact, the "solution" proposed by the developers is to remove the hack which is meant to make Soprano's Sesame backend work with both Java virtual machines. However, since OpenJDK does not work for me (it never did and I never found out why, but I seem to not be the only one), I believe that it will guarantee that Soprano won't work in the future, either, possibly for all of us. But I might me very wrong as well. I am certainly curious about why it seem to fail with OpenJDK. I am not sure why I appear to completely fail at communicating what is wrong.

This is the bug report: http://bugs.archlinux.org/task/16492

Edit: cleaned up

Last edited by mutlu_inek (2009-11-01 01:49:18)

#16 2010-01-21 08:15:23

absolutevoid
Website

qubit wrote:
The Orange Peanut wrote:

How to tell if you Dolphin is using redland backend or sesame2?

check ~/.kde4/share/config/nepomukserverrc
or just wait for KDE 4.2, things should get better by then ...

Hi,

After disabling nepomuk, I searched ~/.kdemod4/share/config/nepomukserverrc and found that it is using seasame and not redland.

[Basic Settings]
Configured repositories=main
Start Nepomuk=false

[Service-nepomukmigration1]
autostart=false

[Service-nepomukstrigiservice]
autostart=false

[main Settings]
Storage Dir[$e]=$HOME/.kdemod4/share/apps/nepomuk/repository/main/
Used Soprano Backend=sesame2
index version=2

But still, I cannot get dolphin and nepomuk work together.  I am using the latest stable packages in X86_64 architecture. Any solution?

edit: libjvm.so is absent in /usr/lib

I did

without and with sudo. But the result was

bash: /etc/ld.so.conf: Permission denied

Last edited by absolutevoid (2010-01-21 08:25:18)

Everything void is absolute and everything absolute is void.

#17 2010-01-21 18:20:59

mutlu_inek

You need to be root to write to /usr/

#18 2010-01-23 08:59:44

absolutevoid
Website

mutlu_inek wrote:

You need to be root to write to /usr/

Thank you. I did all the steps as above and now nepomuk and dolphin is running like a charm, side by side. But may be because indexing is going on, I am not able to launch krunner. also, starting the kmenu takes time. May be, after a few hours, it would change. I will be back and append more details after the indexing is over.

#19 2010-01-23 19:51:15

mutlu_inek

You will probably be happy to hear that nepomuk's performance is getting much better with soon-to-be-released KDE 4.4.

#20 2010-01-24 08:40:51

absolutevoid
Website

mutlu_inek wrote:

You will probably be happy to hear that nepomuk's performance is getting much better with soon-to-be-released KDE 4.4.

Oh, is it? That's wonderful. Thanks a lot to the developers of nepomuk and the excellent support in this forum. For the sake of new Arch users, I am documenting the steps, I have done here.

System: Arch Base 64 bit edition (x86_64) and KDEmod 4.3 from Chakra Project.
State: With Nepomuk running, Dolphin was not even loading. 

1. Disabled nepomuk from System Settings >> Advanced >> Desktop Search
2. Checked ~/.kdemod4/share/config/nepomukserverrc to find, which backend is used by Soprano. It was NOT redland, but sesame2.
3. Checked /usr/lib to ascertain whether libjvm.so is present or not. It was absent.
4. Logged out from DE and logged back in console as root.
5. Removed ~/.kde4/share/apps/nepomuk directory with all its subdirectories and files.
6. Deleted ~/.kdemod4/share/config/nepomukserverrc
7. Gave the command

echo "/usr/lib/jvm/java-6-openjdk/jre/lib/amd64/server" >> /etc/ld.so.conf

8. Gave the command

ldconfig

9. Rebooted the system and logged in as a normal user. Everything is back and running again.

I checked which all directories were indexed by strigi. It was only my /home. So I appended my NTFS drives, my /usr/bin, /var and /tmp to it. [I maintain separate partitions for 'em]. While the indexing were going on, I had difficulty in launching krunner. Also, most of the programs took more time to launch. But after the initial indexing was over, krunner is working smooth. Time lag for program launching also receded.

In dolphin, search for files earned quick results. Just a click, the file was displayed - that is it. Having used windows desktop search before, its a pleasant surprise for me. Wonderful KDE. Hail Semantic Desktop!

Board footer