You are not logged in.

#1 2008-10-15 11:55:10

nielsb
Website

[SOLVED - at least my problems] dhcpcd problems

<edit>
I am marking this thread as solved, as the probem I posted about has been solved - thanks to GerBra in his post below (it's post #15).

Once again; my problem was about not being able to get a zeroconf IP address when booting without an ethernet cable attached, and subsequently not getting a dhcp address when connecting a cable after boot-up.

I have always been able to get an ip address (and connecting) when booting with a cable attached.

Therefore I mark this thread as solved.
</edit>

So yesterday I did a system upgrade and got a new kernel (2.6.27-2), new dhcpcd (4.0.2-1), new netcfg (2.1.2-1) plus some other stuff.

If I with the new dhcpcd boots up the machine and doesn't have a network cable connected, I am not getting any IP address at all - whereas before I used to get an address in the 169 range.

That's not such a big deal, but what is worse is that if I then - (after bootup with no cable) - connect a network cable I'm not receiving an IP address at all from the dhcp server. I need to do a /etc/rc.d/network restart to receive a dhcp address!

By downgrading to dhcpd 3.2.1-1 it works OK: I get an 169 range IP address without cable and when connecting a cable I automatically get an IP address from the dhcp server. (Downgrading dhcpcd also requires a downgrade of netcfg if I want to use netcfg2 for example, but that is a topic for another post.)

Can anyone shed any lights on this problem?

Thanks

Niels

Last edited by nielsb (2008-10-19 09:12:37)

MacBook4.1 - Arch64 - OpenBox WM

#2 2008-10-15 15:15:43

jagardaniel

Re: [SOLVED - at least my problems] dhcpcd problems

I think i have the same problem. I need do "unload" forcedeth and "load" it again with forcedeth msi=0 msix=0, and then run dhcpcd on eth0 to get internet work again.

#3 2008-10-15 16:04:15

tuxce
Website

maybe you can fix this by removing -L from /etc/conf.d/dhcpcd

#4 2008-10-15 21:35:47

nielsb
Website

tuxce wrote:

No such luck. I took out the -L from /etc/conf.d/dhcpcd, and rebooted - it did not alter the behavior. I.e., when booting with no connected ethernet cable, I do not receive any internal 169 address, and when subsequently connecting a cable I'm not getting any IP from the dhcp server.

I can however do a "dhcpcd -n iface_name", that will give me an IP.

Niels

#5 2008-10-16 04:37:40

handy

I have lost internet ability on my iMac after a yaourt -Syu this morning.

There were only a few files in the upgrade & the kernel:

catalyst
conky
dhcpcd
ewfsprogs

I took my machine back to the previous versions of the kernel & of the files above (except for conky which I am not running at the moment), which made no difference. 

[Edit:]

I somehow blew it when I downgraded, as I downgraded again today & after a reboot all is well with the internet on my machine, sorry for posting incorrect info'.

Last edited by handy (2008-10-17 06:03:53)

I used to be surprised that I was still surprised by my own stupidity, finding it strangely refreshing.
Well, now I don't find it refreshing.
I'm over it!

#6 2008-10-16 11:58:20

jagardaniel

tuxce wrote:

Didn't work for me =/

#7 2008-10-16 14:36:57

broch
Banned

hmm,
where can I get dhcpd 3.2.1-1?
after updating to the latest version (4.0.2-1) I also have problems with home dsl connection.

Thanks

#8 2008-10-16 15:26:13

JonnyJD

go to /var/cache/pacman/pkg
and do a
sudo pacman -U dhcpd-<version you find in that directory>

Last edited by JonnyJD (2008-10-16 15:29:40)

#9 2008-10-16 19:20:09

broch
Banned

thanks usually this is what I do if I need to downgrade something, but unfortunately I cleaned pacman cache recently so no luck with previous version on the HD, I was wondering if maybe there is some repository with older package versions?

Thanks

#10 2008-10-16 20:39:38

jagardaniel

broch wrote:

thanks usually this is what I do if I need to downgrade something, but unfortunately I cleaned pacman cache recently so no luck with previous version on the HD, I was wondering if maybe there is some repository with older package versions?

Thanks

Try this: http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Downgrade_packages

I tried dhcpcd 3.2.1 (the version before, and worked before) again, but with the same result - no internet connecting on startup.

#11 2008-10-17 03:33:17

Edson.Schlei

Hi ,
I have this problem too.
I changed the /etc/conf.d/dhcpd file and remove the -L and -t 30 options.
old line:
DHCPCD_ARGS="-q -L -t 30 -h $HOSTNAME"
new line:
DHCPCD_ARGS="-q -h $HOSTNAME"

This seems that the new kernel have same kind of problem that got more that 30 seconds to receive the network configuration.

I hope the next kernel release fix this problem.

by

#12 2008-10-17 06:07:08

handy

Downgrading the kernel to 2.6.26, & the few files that were dependent on the new kernel including dhcpcd has sorted out my internet problems.

I used to be surprised that I was still surprised by my own stupidity, finding it strangely refreshing.
I'm over it!

#13 2008-10-17 08:45:03

pressh
Developer/TU

Edson.Schlei wrote:

Hi ,
I have this problem too.
I changed the /etc/conf.d/dhcpd file and remove the -L and -t 30 options.
old line:
DHCPCD_ARGS="-q -L -t 30 -h $HOSTNAME"
new line:
DHCPCD_ARGS="-q -h $HOSTNAME"

This seems that the new kernel have same kind of problem that got more that 30 seconds to receive the network configuration.

Are you sure it is because of the '-t 30' thingie because dhcpcd should by default timeout after 30 seconds. When you remove the -L flag you should get a zeroconf IP assigned.

#14 2008-10-17 10:53:48

nielsb
Website

pressh wrote:

Are you sure it is because of the '-t 30' thingie because dhcpcd should by default timeout after 30 seconds. When you remove the -L flag you should get a zeroconf IP assigned.

Hi I'm the OP on this thread, I removed the -L flag and even after that, I did not get zeroconf IP, and the machine did not pick up a dhcp address after an ethernet cable was connected, I had to do an dhcpcd -n eth0, in order to pick up an address.

I did not try to take out the timeout though. A downgrade of dhcpcd sorthed those problems, but then caused problems for netcfg (but as I said in my first post, that is a separate topic).

Niels

#15 2008-10-17 11:46:17

GerBra
Forum Fellow

Problem is that current dhcpcd versions check for a carrier (link). Without a carrier it doesn't operate as maybe you expected. It exits after the timeout.

You could solve this in several ways:
a) If you want an IP address on any circumstands (aka zeroconf or IPv4LL) you should remove -L from /etc/conf.d/dhcpcd. And use the -K option

b) If you don't want IPv4LL, but the dhcpcd should wait for a carrier you should use Option -b

Last edited by GerBra (2008-10-17 11:47:30)

#16 2008-10-17 12:28:57

nielsb
Website

GerBra wrote:

Problem is that current dhcpcd versions check for a carrier (link). Without a carrier it doesn't operate as maybe you expected. It exits after the timeout.

You could solve this in several ways:
a) If you want an IP address on any circumstands (aka zeroconf or IPv4LL) you should remove -L from /etc/conf.d/dhcpcd. And use the -K option

b) If you don't want IPv4LL, but the dhcpcd should wait for a carrier you should use Option -b

Thank you! I just tested it and it seems to work - great!

As a side note - being fairly new to Arch - , where would I have been able to get this information from, if I hadn't posted the question? I.e., I'm doing an update of the system, the update breaks old behavior - where is that information posted?

Thanks

Niels

#17 2008-10-17 12:44:06

GerBra
Forum Fellow

nielsb wrote:

As a side note - being fairly new to Arch - , where would I have been able to get this information from, if I hadn't posted the question? I.e., I'm doing an update of the system, the update breaks old behavior - where is that information posted?
Niels

I've used the man page and a shell - then try and error, learning by doing ;-)
Ok, i know a little about DHCP so i knewed which options could do what....

A good place are often the changelogs of a package. You could find them in the source code (download from upstream website or search for changelogs).

#18 2008-10-17 13:02:22

broch
Banned

jagardaniel wrote:
broch wrote:

Thanks

Try this: http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Downgrade_packages

I tried dhcpcd 3.2.1 (the version before, and worked before) again, but with the same result - no internet connecting on startup.

Thanks,
this helped. I will try to downgrade dhcpcd. Hopefully it will work (in spite of what I read above regarding kernel bug)

#19 2008-10-18 22:22:58

broch
Banned

well downgrading dhcpcd to 3.2.1-1 resolved my problems. Now I don't have any problems with internet connection irrelevant of the kernel version; either 2.6.26.5 or 2.6 27-git6.

So for me the cuplrit was definitely dhcpcd.

Thanks jagardaniel, for help with finding previous dhcpcd version

#20 2008-10-19 00:08:50

handy

I find this problem very interesting, there are three different solutions that I am aware of:

1.) Downgrade dhcpcd
2.) Downgrade kernel & dhcpcd (by necessity)
3.) Use the following code:

echo 0 >/proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_sack
echo 0 >/proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_dsack

It would seem that we are all experiencing very similar symptoms, though I'm starting to wonder if we have more than one problem causing these symptoms?

I'm over it!

#21 2008-10-19 09:04:38

nielsb
Website

handy wrote:

I find this problem very interesting, there are three different solutions that I am aware of:

1.) Downgrade dhcpcd
2.) Downgrade kernel & dhcpcd (by necessity)
3.) Use the following code:

echo 0 >/proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_sack
echo 0 >/proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_dsack

It would seem that we are all experiencing very similar symptoms, though I'm starting to wonder if we have more than one problem causing these symptoms?

OK, seeing as I started this thread, let me weigh in here:
My problem was NOT, with getting a connection to the network IF my ethernet cable was attached at startup. In that scenario it worked just fine - no problems what so ever.

My problem, which this post was originally about - was about not being able to get a zeroconf IP address (169 range) when booting  without an ethernet cable attached, and subsequently not receiving a dhcp address when connecting an ethernet cable. This problem is solved - thanks to GerBra (post #15) - by deleting the -L flag in /etc/conf.d/dhcpcd and adding the -K flag. If I don't want zeroconf IP address but still be able to pick up a dhcp address when connecting you add the -b flag. Based on this I will now mark this post as solved.

However I do realize that there are/may be other problems with dhcpcd (exactly as handy observes above), which are discussed in this thread. I suggest we start a new thread regarding those issues.

Niels

Last edited by nielsb (2008-10-19 09:13:21)

#22 2008-10-19 10:17:43

handy

Thanks for your reply nielsb, it certainly helps those like me that don't have great technical understanding of Linux on the whole.

There are a few threads running on the topic(s). lol

A lot of people have been hit with what does look to be a kernel bug, just exactly what is causing the internet problem will eventually come out.

I'm glad you found a solution for your problem. smile

I'm over it!

Board footer