You are not logged in.

#1 2008-10-21 10:23:19

handy

[SOLVED] Recent 32/64bit kernels

I find it interesting that we don't have copies of the last couple of kernels available in AUR, as there certainly can be times when they would save numbers of people a lot of time & stress.

Is it because people are expected to keep these in their cache.  Quite a few have been caught out lately with the current kernel bug.

Is the reason that no one wants to maintain the kernels in AUR?

Thanks for any input.

I am thinking seriously of serving relatively recent kernels, this is why I ask here.

Last edited by handy (2008-10-21 12:46:38)

I used to be surprised that I was still surprised by my own stupidity, finding it strangely refreshing.
Well, now I don't find it refreshing.
I'm over it!

#2 2008-10-21 11:05:45

foutrelis
Developer
Website

Re: [SOLVED] Recent 32/64bit kernels

It is clearly stated in the AUR guidelines:

Check [core], [extra], [unstable], and [community] for the package. If it is inside any of those repositories in ANY form, DO NOT submit the package (if the current package is broken or is lacking an included feature then please file a bug report in FlySpray).

However, since all official packages are maintained in a SVN repository, accessing previous kernel versions is as simple as:

. /etc/makepkg.conf
svn export -r[REV] svn://svn.archlinux.org/home/svn-packages/kernel26/repos/core-$CARCH kernel26

Where [REV] is the revision you want to export. To find out which revision corresponds to which kernel, have a look at: i686 or x86_64.

For example, if I were to get the 2.6.26.x kernel (latest was 2.6.26.5) for the i686 architecture, I'd proceed like this:

. /etc/makepkg.conf
svn export -r12086 svn://svn.archlinux.org/home/svn-packages/kernel26/repos/core-$CARCH kernel26

#3 2008-10-21 12:46:06

handy

Thank you so much foutrelis for your very clear, concise & rewarding reply to my questions.

I will pass this information on in the Ubuntu forums, Arch sub-forum, & here, at any time someone requires the knowledge of how to access a superseded kernel.

Many people will be grateful of this knowledge.  I think it is not well enough known due to there being so much to know... lol

I used to be surprised that I was still surprised by my own stupidity, finding it strangely refreshing.
I'm over it!

#4 2008-10-21 23:08:15

Heller_Barde

handy wrote:

I will pass this information on in the Ubuntu forums, Arch sub-forum

<random rant>
at first i wanted to make a snide remark as to why they even have an arch sub-forum on ubuntuforums.org and then i saw that they have sub-forums for nearly damn well anything o.0
</random rant>

cheers Barde

#5 2008-10-21 23:30:58

handy

The Ubuntu community is very strong, friendly & helpful.

Due to its strength in numbers, it is very often quicker & easier to get a reply for one of the other OS's/distro's in their particular sub-forum, (or if the other is not popular enough to have its own forum there is a forum for all of them as well) than on the specific OS or more likely distro's own home site.

People can have chauvinistic attitudes about this situation, which is unfortunate really, as so much cross pollination is going on by people that use multiple distro's & belong to multiple forums.

In the end the Ubuntu forum is a great place for bringing along new Linux users to a point where they have the confidence to go out & try other distro's often finding that they prefer one of these others.

Many users who's first distro' was Ubuntu, & that remain regular Ubuntu forum contributors due to the great community, are these days very enthusiastic Arch users. big_smile

I'm glad you managed to almost completely swallow your mouthful of snide. smile

I'm over it!

Board footer