You are not logged in.

#1 2008-11-19 02:18:05

bgc1954

[SOLVED]dwm and Diablo II?

Hi all,

Quick question--well maybe?

Decided to plunge into the world of tiling wm's and have so far decided on dwm.  So far really like it and it helps out my old T21 Thinkpad.  I do play some games on the laptop when I'm out of town but Diablo II in wine doesn't seem to work properly.  I've searched and googled to death and haven't really found a definitive answer.  It just seems to resize the screen and then freezes.

Edit: To tell the truth, it doesn't really freeze.  I can still bring up another terminal or something else but the resolution is all messed up.

Last edited by bgc1954 (2008-11-19 05:50:25)

Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils ... - Louis Hector Berlioz

#2 2008-11-19 02:35:32

rcoyner
Website

Re: [SOLVED]dwm and Diablo II?

It's a little hard to help out without a little more information:

1) Have you had the game working before switching to dwm?
2) Does wine print out any error messages when it freezes? Anything in the logs?
3) If the game was working prior to switching to dwm, have you made any other changes to your system that may affect the game? (e.g. xorg.conf, video drivers)

#3 2008-11-19 03:37:20

bgc1954

1)  Yes, I run both e17 and pekwm on this laptop.  It works in both other wm's.

2)  Haven't tried running it from terminal yet.  I'll try that and see what happens, though.

3)  No changes made other than installing dwm.

Edit: well, here's what spits out when run from terminal:

[brian@archlaptop ~]$ wine 'c:\\Program Files\\Diablo II\\Diablo II.exe'
[brian@archlaptop ~]$ fixme:win:EnumDisplayDevicesW ((null),0,0x33ebfc,0x00000000), stub!
fixme:xrandr:X11DRV_XRandR_SetCurrentMode Cannot change screen BPP from 16 to 8
fixme:d3d:IWineD3DDeviceImpl_CreateSwapChain The app requests more than one back buffer, this can't be supported properly. Please configure the application to use double buffering(=1 back buffer) if possible
fixme:xrandr:X11DRV_XRandR_SetCurrentMode Cannot change screen BPP from 16 to 8
fixme:d3d:IWineD3DDeviceImpl_CreateSwapChain The app requests more than one back buffer, this can't be supported properly. Please configure the application to use double buffering(=1 back buffer) if possible
err:d3d:IWineD3DDeviceImpl_SetupFullscreenWindow (0x132200): Want to change the window parameters of HWND 0x20028, but another style is stored for restoration afterwards
err:x11settings:X11DRV_ChangeDisplaySettingsEx No matching mode found 640x480x32 @0! (XRandR)

And,  I'll try what thayer suggests, thanks. big_smile  Yeh, I tried setting float before running the script I use and didn't help.  I'll try the config.h route next.

Last edited by bgc1954 (2008-11-19 05:13:51)

Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils ... - Louis Hector Berlioz

#4 2008-11-19 03:48:44

thayer
Fellow
Website

Have you tried setting the layout to float before launching?  How about adding the Diablo application to the rule set in config.h so that it floats by default, regardless of layout?

thayer williams ~ cinderwick.ca

#5 2008-11-19 05:34:15

bgc1954

big_smile Success of a sort...

When I run the script to start Diablo II the resolution changes on the screen and there is a black box in the bottom, left-hand corner.  I tried clicking on the box and when I right-click, I get a windows-like box that gives me several options.  If I click and choose "Restore", Diablo starts up and I can play it.  Very strange...but it works.

Edit:  It actually had little to do with dwm and more with my winecfg.  After I got it sort of working--mostly by playing with winecfg--I changed my config.h back to the original without any additions to specific floating behavior and it still worked fine with the black box in the corner.  I ended up making a specific setting for Diablo in the winecfg and under the Graphics tab checked the box to let the window manager handle the windows and unchecked the box for the window manager to handle window decorations.  Eureka! lol

Last edited by bgc1954 (2008-11-19 05:56:03)

Board footer