You are not logged in.

#1 2008-11-26 11:15:08

Aprz

Can Anyone Compile Firefox3.1b2?

Edit: Nope, it broke again, and after some Google searching, apparently because of a thing called liboggplay. I can compile all of it's dependencies, but not liboggplay itself. I don't know. I am very frustrated.

Edit: Okay, my bad. I had AUTOCONF set wrong. sad *looks away in shame*

export AUTOCONF=autoconf

Original: Just curious if it is me or not, it seems that I cannot compile Firefox3.1b2 no matter what I do. First it complained that I didn't have autoconf-2.13, which I took literally and installed that (I was thinking that I just had a bad version, 2.63), but then I found out that it couldn't find autoconf at all so I edited that part of client.mk out, which is one example of the troubles it gave me. I downloaded the source for 3.1b and it also gave me loads of trouble. What's up? I am aware that is it in beta still, but seeing that there are snapshoots available, which I am using right now, I am curious how these people can even compile it at all. <_<

Last edited by Aprz (2008-11-27 15:07:59)

#2 2008-11-26 11:22:22

bangkok_manouel

Re: Can Anyone Compile Firefox3.1b2?

i guess you definitely autoconf 2.13. i'd recommend to install it as autoconf213 or something and give it a "special" program suffix (+adjust your mozconfig accordingly) so it won't mess with your current autoconf version. i've been building Firefox from hg sucessfully almost every day since the move from cvs to hg.

#3 2008-11-26 12:37:24

Aprz

bangkok_manouel wrote:

i guess you definitely autoconf 2.13. i'd recommend to install it as autoconf213 or something and give it a "special" program suffix (+adjust your mozconfig accordingly) so it won't mess with your current autoconf version. i've been building Firefox from hg sucessfully almost every day since the move from cvs to hg.

I should have made it more clear that I fixed the autoconf-2.13 problem before posting by commenting out the check in client.mk.

client.mk

92: # try to find autconf 2.13 - discard errors from 'which'
93: # MacOS X 10.4 sends "no autoconf*" errors to stdout, discard those via grep
94: #AUTOCONF ?= $(shell which autoconf-2.13 autoconf2.13 autoconf213 2>/dev/null | grep -v '^no autoconf' | head -1)
95: 
96: #ifeq (,$(strip $(AUTOCONF)))
97: #AUTOCONF=$(error Couldn't find autoconf 2.13)
98: #endif

Which will allow me to get pass that issue. I commented it out because it seems it didn't matter whether I was using autoconf-2.13, which I tried using in place of autoconf-2.61, or not.

It seems to work for only a moment, but it's only goal is to trick you so you can be even more frustrated.

[root@aprz mozilla-central]# make -f client.mk build
creating pr/tests/dll/Makefile
creating pr/src/pthreads/Makefile
configure: warning: Recreating autoconf.mk with updated nspr-config output
configuring in js/src
running /bin/sh /usr/src/mozilla-central/build/autoconf/configure  --enable-application=browser --enable-optmize=-O3 --enable-default-toolkit=cairo-gtk2 --enable-xft --enable-libxul --enable-threadsafe --with-nspr-cflags='-I/usr/src/mozilla-central/obj-i686-pc-linux-gnu/dist/include/nspr' --with-nspr-libs='-L/usr/src/mozilla-central/obj-i686-pc-linux-gnu/dist/lib -lplds4 -lplc4 -lnspr4 -lpthread -ldl' --includedir=/usr/src/mozilla-central/obj-i686-pc-linux-gnu/dist/include --bindir=/usr/src/mozilla-central/obj-i686-pc-linux-gnu/dist/bin --libdir=/usr/src/mozilla-central/obj-i686-pc-linux-gnu/dist/lib --with-sync-build-files=/usr/src/mozilla-central --enable-jemalloc --cache-file=../.././config.cache --srcdir=/usr/src/mozilla-central/js/src
/bin/sh: /usr/src/mozilla-central/build/autoconf/configure: No such file or directory
configure: error: /usr/src/mozilla-central/build/autoconf/configure failed for js/src
*** Fix above errors and then restart with               "make -f client.mk build"
make[1]: *** [configure] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/mozilla-central'
make: *** [/usr/src/mozilla-central/obj-i686-pc-linux-gnu/Makefile] Error 2

I provided the link to where I am download my source. Perhaps it is a bad copy? Where are you downloading yours? I don't think it's something on my end because I can compile any other version of Firefox just fine. Just seem to have trouble with just this one.

Looking inside of /usr/src/mozilla-central/build/autoconf/, the script is correct that configure doesn't exist:

[root@aprz autoconf]# ls -a
.                 config.guess  libIDL-2.m4     mozconfig2client-mk
..                config.sub    libIDL.m4       mozconfig2configure
acoutput-fast.pl  freetype2.m4  libart.m4       nspr.m4
altoptions.m4     glib.m4       make-makefile   nss.m4
clean-config.sh   gtk.m4        match-dir.sh    pkg.m4
codeset.m4        install-sh    mozconfig-find  update-makefile.sh

I don't see any file that I could use autoconf to create one.

Remember that this error seems to happen regardless of me using autoconf-2.13 or autoconf-2.61.

Edit: I had a friend try it and he gets the same error. I am beginning to think it is a bad copy.

Edit: Well, I tried it again with autoconf-2.13 from here, which autoconf-2.13 worked fine, and it even got pass the client.mk issue (without me commenting out the check), but it gives me a new error.

make[6]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/mozilla-central/obj-i686-pc-linux-gnu/nsprpub/lib'
make[5]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/mozilla-central/obj-i686-pc-linux-gnu/nsprpub'
rm -f -rf ../../dist/sdk/dummy
rm -f -f ../../dist/sdk/lib/libnspr4.a ../../dist/sdk/lib/libplc4.a ../../dist/sdk/lib/libplds4.a
make[4]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/mozilla-central/obj-i686-pc-linux-gnu/config/nspr'
make[3]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/mozilla-central/obj-i686-pc-linux-gnu'
make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/mozilla-central/obj-i686-pc-linux-gnu'
make[2]: Entering directory `/usr/src/mozilla-central/obj-i686-pc-linux-gnu'
tier_js: js/src config/js
make[3]: Entering directory `/usr/src/mozilla-central/obj-i686-pc-linux-gnu/js/src'
make[3]: *** No targets specified and no makefile found.  Stop.
make[3]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/mozilla-central/obj-i686-pc-linux-gnu/js/src'
make[2]: *** [tier_js] Error 2
make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/mozilla-central/obj-i686-pc-linux-gnu'
make[1]: *** [default] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/mozilla-central/obj-i686-pc-linux-gnu'
make: *** [build] Error 2

Where is the love?

Last edited by Aprz (2008-11-26 13:12:24)

#4 2008-11-26 13:11:19

bangkok_manouel

IIRC you need some patching should you not use autoconf213 so that may be something you do not want to modify. Then, only FTR, I've just modified the official PKGBUILD to make my custom builds. Finally, to answer your question, I'm just downloading the source from mozilla-central repo at hg.mozilla.org (click the bz2 button, it's about 37M of data you have to D/L)

#5 2008-11-26 13:15:50

Aprz

Downloading from where you got your copy and I am sticking with autoconf-2.13 for now. I'll get back to you on what my next situation will be if there is any, but I am hoping that it is just the copy I downloaded that was bad.

Very interesting... none of the downloads I am doing seem to be coming out the right size. I tried downloading tracemonkey thinking that was it since that's what all the big fuss is about with Firefox 3.1b at the moment, but it only came out ~27 MB, which is way off (it's actually suppose to be ~38 MB, but you were close enough). Untarred it anyhow, it was corrupted. Same for mozilla-central, which was my next try, that came out to be ~16 MB.

Last edited by Aprz (2008-11-26 13:38:06)

Board footer