You are not logged in.

#26 2008-12-01 02:26:00

eldragon

Re: cool update to the lastest xorg :p

yes, you could try and remove xorg.conf altoguether, worked here on intel gma945..

about the low frame rate on glxgears. ive read from here: http://www.nabble.com/Archive-xorg-serv … 28630.html that whats causing it is that Vblank_mode is limiting your fps to your display refresh rate in order to avoid tearing. and its not supposed to hinder performance....

EDIT
oh, and the TTM buffer warning should be ignored since the classic mode is how it was being done before.

Last edited by eldragon (2008-12-01 02:27:30)

#27 2008-12-01 02:27:26

pyther
Website

Ditto, I had that same problem and I thought it hinder my performance, I was shutdown though tongue

Website - Blog - arch-home
Arch User since March 2005

#28 2008-12-01 02:31:01

Alexdsan

For those who have not found the solution and have set the keybard, there is an alternative that is to disable the detection by hal, making the xorg.conf configuration commands

Add to xorg.conf

Section "ServerFlags"
     Option "AutoAddDevices" "False"
EndSection

1. remove or comment all input device configuration in xorg.conf
2. configure hal so that it can inform X correctly. This is the though part. For my case (abnt2 keyboard, Brasil), i used the following files:

It did not work, we also have keyboard ABNT2

#29 2008-12-01 03:04:33

emily

This is quite a dandy update to me. I had some stuff manually enabled in order to properly set up my mouse and keyboard which conflicted with the automatic stuff, but I dumped my Xmodmap file and stopped using it and now everything works just great without any manual configuration. =] IMO the use of the HAL daemon for input hotplugging is one of Xorg's greatest improvements and is a great step for the desktop capabilities of Linux. I can definitely see where it would cause issues for some people, especially those doing manual stuff like I was doing, but overall it is a brilliant addition. I recommend giving it a shot instead of tossing it to the side. Cheers. big_smile

Also, hi everyone. =]

Last edited by emily (2008-12-01 03:07:42)

#30 2008-12-01 04:14:11

dmz
Website

Blah, this sucks. I''ve disabled that hotswap thingy since the new xorg landed in testing.

#31 2008-12-01 08:38:01

patroclo7

eldragon wrote:

yes, you could try and remove xorg.conf altoguether, worked here on intel gma945..

about the low frame rate on glxgears. ive read from here: http://www.nabble.com/Archive-xorg-serv … 28630.html that whats causing it is that Vblank_mode is limiting your fps to your display refresh rate in order to avoid tearing. and its not supposed to hinder performance....

EDIT
oh, and the TTM buffer warning should be ignored since the classic mode is how it was being done before.

My only problem without xorg.conf is that the fonts in /usr/share/fonts/local are not detected. I can add them in my .xinitrc with

xset fp+ /usr/share/fonts/local

but I wonder if there is a way to fix the paths where xorg looks for fonts.

About TTM vs classic, TTM was how it was being done before, but TTM has been replaced by GEM in the intel xorg driver and GEM is not yet in the linux kernel; for this reason we fall back to classic, with a sharp regression in performance. In glxgears (which is not a benchmark - we know - but gives an idea nonetheless) i was at 600 FPS and I am now at 60 FPS (with an intel 945). The lower performance is also evident in tuxracer etc.
I have read the comments to this gentoo bug http://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=237468 and I got the impression that it is terribly hard to upgrade to GEM now.
The following ~/.drirc alleviates the issue a bit for me (I get 120 FPS with it):

<driconf>
  <device screen="0" driver="i915">
     <application name="Default">
         <option name="vblank_mode" value="0" />
     </application>
  </device>
</driconf>

Last edited by patroclo7 (2008-12-01 08:42:12)

Mortuus in anima, curam gero cutis

#32 2008-12-01 09:38:13

Shapeshifter

I just noticed that I'm able to use two finger scrolling with my touchpad now smile Neat, my laptop wasn't even supposed to be able to do that when it shipped...

#33 2008-12-01 15:25:36

jelly
Administrator

Shapeshifter wrote:

I just noticed that I'm able to use two finger scrolling with my touchpad now smile Neat, my laptop wasn't even supposed to be able to do that when it shipped...

Well that's nice,i just updated and my touchpad failed but i fixed it with the disable hotplug solution, i can use touchpad but the scrollbar doesnt work anymore. My sounds playback also fails i can watch videos but i cant listen to mp3's in rhythmbox

Most of the failures are already fixed, this is the first time i use Arch && have a Xorg update i didn't know that i affects so much, btw the sound deamon where also update

Last edited by jelly (2008-12-01 15:32:23)

#34 2008-12-01 16:06:47

ozar

cool update to the lastest xorg tongue

The update went well for me, too, but from the looks of all the various threads/posts going on about it, this was a bumpy road for lots of folks.

oz

#35 2008-12-01 16:15:30

anrxc
Website

Just a note, it seems input.xkb.* options are deprecated and input.x11_options.* should be used http://cgit.freedesktop.org/xorg/xserve … -input.fdi

You need to install an RTFM interface.

#36 2008-12-01 19:39:19

BeholdMyGlory

mutlu_inek wrote:
mutlu_inek wrote:

Also, for me, the keyboard is horribly broken. Arrow keys, delete key, etc. all don't work. Keyboard layouts as chosen in KDE via system settings do not work, either. hmm

Actually, it was due to the KDE settings. You need to choose "Evdev-managed keyboard" as the keyboard model in the keyboard layout KCM.

I also have this problem, but I really don't understand what you mean with "You need to choose "Evdev-managed keyboard" as the keyboard model in the keyboard layout KCM." Could you give a more detailed explanation?

#37 2008-12-01 20:57:18

eldragon

ozar wrote:

cool update to the lastest xorg tongue

The update went well for me, too, but from the looks of all the various threads/posts going on about it, this was a bumpy road for lots of folks.

ive been reading much about the update too, most problems are related to hotplugging and configuring hal correctly fixed it for many. the other problems ive seen are related to intel video hardware and how 3d performance is down...which is related to intel's drivers..not xorg.

besides those 2 issues, the update is pretty steady imo.

#38 2008-12-01 23:40:20

mutlu_inek

BeholdMyGlory wrote:

I really don't understand what you mean with "You need to choose "Evdev-managed keyboard" as the keyboard model in the keyboard layout KCM." Could you give a more detailed explanation?

Go to: System Settings --> Regional & Language --> Keyboard Layout
There, choose "Evdev-managed keyboard" as keyboard model

Hope this helps.

#39 2008-12-01 23:53:20

De Mysteriis

So if I start hal before I start X, my keyboard and mouse won't freeze? neutral

#40 2008-12-02 00:22:14

mutlu_inek

De Mysteriis wrote:

So if I start hal before I start X, my keyboard and mouse won't freeze? neutral

If you don't disable hotplugging, X _needs_ hal to work properly. Read the news on http://www.archlinux.org/ and the linked wiki page.

#41 2008-12-02 03:29:13

sokuban

mutlu_inek wrote:

Edit2:
Any 3D on my intel is horribly broken since TTM is not supported and GEM will only be in the 2.6.28 kernel:

$ glxgears 
Failed to initialize TTM buffer manager.  Falling back to classic.
229 frames in 5.0 seconds = 45.673 FPS

2D compositing works fine, though.

I have the same problem. My openGL apps are horribly slow.

$ glxgears
Failed to initialize TTM buffer manager.  Falling back to classic.
303 frames in 5.0 seconds = 60.485 FPS

If you find any solution be sure to post it.

Also what is TTM and GEM?

#42 2008-12-02 04:03:46

mutlu_inek

Others have answered what's going on. The message about failing to initialize means that the old rendering method is used (so nothing different for us). The low fps rate is due to an alignment of fps to screen refresh rate which should not make the rendering worse, but reduce tearing on intel cards.

TTM and GEM are graphics card memory management technologies. TTM is deprecated before it was even released. GEM will come with the next kernel version.

If you experience slow rendering, it has nothing to do with all these things, but with the new xorg and the new intel driver. There seem to be many issues left...

#43 2010-01-06 03:02:34

psycepa

Does anyone happen to encounter the following problem.
Before the update: no local (polish) characters in the GUI apps when I type (openbox) but the characters in CLI apps run under openbox display fonts correctly while typing
After the update, situation is reversed (i have tried to configure the hal policy but apparently I am missing something)
GUI apps under openbox display polish fonts correctly when I type and CLI apps (tilda, gvim, etc) dispplay '?' instead of local charcters when I type
Displaying previously created files which include polish characters display squares insted of the aforementioned glyphs.
I have tried numerous hints found on the web:
- modification of the 10-keymap.fdi file
- regenerate locale
- set xset fp+ /usr/share..
...but I'm running out of ideas.

So if any of you knows how to get rid of that crappy behaviour please share your priceless knowledge smile

BTW. under KDE everything seems to work fine...

#44 2010-01-06 03:13:11

rson451
Website

This thread is over a year old.  Open your own.

archlinux - please read this and this — twice — then ask questions.
--
http://rsontech.net | http://github.com/rson

#45 2010-01-06 03:15:54

skottish
Forum Fellow

rson451 wrote:

This thread is over a year old.  Open your own.

Yeah, please do.

Board footer