You are not logged in.

#1 2008-12-01 23:31:52

fmma

X doesn't work anymore after upgrade to xorg-server

Hi,

I have arch linux instaled on a hp 2133 mininote, which has a via chrome graphic chip. So far, I had X running with the "vesa" diver.

I saw now a new verion of the openchrome driver in the announcement section (openchrome 0.2.903-1), which I installed. Part of this process, the xorg-server was re-installed (now to xorg-server 1.5.3-2).

Unfortunatly, X is not starting anymore. Neither with the o;d xorg.conf file nor with a new one generated with hwd utility.
Screen just black.

Does anyone know what to do ?

I'm not an expert, so please apologize if I have missed something obvious.

fr

#2 2008-12-01 23:48:11

mutlu_inek

Re: X doesn't work anymore after upgrade to xorg-server

I don't know anything about the via chrome chip, but there have been many people who couldn't start X either and posted here during the last 24 hours. Just browse the forums.

Most likely, hwd keeps putting an "RgbPath" option in your xorg.conf, which is a mistake and keeps X from starting. If commenting the line does not help and browsing the forum does not point you to anything that helps, post the output of

grep EE /var/log/Xorg.0.log

#3 2008-12-02 00:40:43

wolfvorkian

X wouldn't start for me after the upgrade either. I messed around with one of the solutions that had helped some but it didn't help me.

What did was this. I renamed the xorg.conf file and then rebooted. In a flash too fast to really read, the screen said a new xorg.conf was being reconfigured ( I think ). X is working again fine now but I'm without an xorg.conf file.

#4 2008-12-02 01:13:58

pyther
Website

wolfvorkian wrote:

X wouldn't start for me after the upgrade either. I messed around with one of the solutions that had helped some but it didn't help me.

What did was this. I renamed the xorg.conf file and then rebooted. In a flash too fast to really read, the screen said a new xorg.conf was being reconfigured ( I think ). X is working again fine now but I'm without an xorg.conf file.

Try X -configure and see if the configuration file that generates works.

Website - Blog - arch-home
Arch User since March 2005

#5 2008-12-02 08:51:03

ninian
Website

fmma wrote:

I have arch linux instaled on a hp 2133 mininote, which has a via chrome graphic chip. So far, I had X running with the "vesa" diver.

I saw now a new verion of the openchrome driver in the announcement section (openchrome 0.2.903-1), which I installed. Part of this process, the xorg-server was re-installed (now to xorg-server 1.5.3-2).

I had a similar situation with a Via-based laptop and although I eventually got the screen, keyboard and mouse working with X.Org 7.4, I had to give up on the touchpad which became completely unusable.

So, here's what I did to downgrade X.Org and recover to what was working before:

Uninstall all the new packages:

# pacman -Rs unichrome-dri libgl mesa xorg-server xf86-video-unichrome

and delete:

# rm /usr/lib/xorg/modules/extensions/libdri.so

then reinstall the older versions of the packages (use eg. http://archlinux.umflint.edu/extra/os/i686/ if necessary):

# pacman -U xorg-server... (1.4.2-2)
# pacman -U mesa... (7.0.3-3)
# pacman -U libgl... (7.0.3-2)
# pacman -U unichrome-dri... (7.0.3)
# pacman -U openchrome... (0.2.902-1)

Note that the new video package is 'xf86-video-openchrome', but the old one is just 'openchrome'.
Then of course add IgnorePkg=etc as required to your /etc/pacman.conf file to avoid future trouble.

I may not have shown the order or details of things 100% right above, but you should get the gist.
(Downgrading mesa and libgl allows glxinfo and glxgears to work again too.)

Hope this helps.

Last edited by ninian (2008-12-02 08:51:51)

#6 2008-12-02 10:14:20

patroclo7

wolfvorkian wrote:

X is now using autoconfiguration through hal (for input devices). If everything works or can be fixed through hal, you do not need an xorg.conf anymore.

Mortuus in anima, curam gero cutis

#7 2008-12-02 11:31:51

atcq

patroclo7 wrote:

X is now using autoconfiguration through hal (for input devices). If everything works or can be fixed through hal, you do not need an xorg.conf anymore.

works fine so far, but how do i change my keyboard layout now?

EDIT:

found it - http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Xor … otplugging

Last edited by atcq (2008-12-02 11:51:45)

#8 2008-12-03 14:40:37

edenxavier

ninian wrote:
fmma wrote:

I had a similar situation with a Via-based laptop and although I eventually got the screen, keyboard and mouse working with X.Org 7.4, I had to give up on the touchpad which became completely unusable.

So, here's what I did to downgrade X.Org and recover to what was working before:

Uninstall all the new packages:

# pacman -Rs unichrome-dri libgl mesa xorg-server xf86-video-unichrome

and delete:

# rm /usr/lib/xorg/modules/extensions/libdri.so

then reinstall the older versions of the packages (use eg. http://archlinux.umflint.edu/extra/os/i686/ if necessary):

# pacman -U xorg-server... (1.4.2-2)
# pacman -U mesa... (7.0.3-3)
# pacman -U libgl... (7.0.3-2)
# pacman -U unichrome-dri... (7.0.3)
# pacman -U openchrome... (0.2.902-1)

Note that the new video package is 'xf86-video-openchrome', but the old one is just 'openchrome'.
Then of course add IgnorePkg=etc as required to your /etc/pacman.conf file to avoid future trouble.

I may not have shown the order or details of things 100% right above, but you should get the gist.
(Downgrading mesa and libgl allows glxinfo and glxgears to work again too.)

Hope this helps.

Sweet Jesus, that indeed did help.  I was one of the many who had a slightly broken system after the upgrade.  I had no choice but to keep xorg the way it is atm.  In my situation I did just like you did except the only thing I did was install an older version of xorg and the vesa driver and that was it.  Other than that, everything works fine.

#9 2008-12-17 23:01:30

X/ax
Website

patroclo7 wrote:
wolfvorkian wrote:

You do if you require  X to do things it won't do standard (I need xorg.conf to get 1280x800 on my laptop, which standardizes on 1024x768 here)
It's got something to do with nvidia though...

My coding blog (or an attempt at it)
Archer start page (or an attempt at it)

Board footer