You are not logged in.

#1 2008-12-05 06:48:15

SKazas
Website

After pacman -Syu my system won't boot (It is not grub problem!)

My English is not very strong, so you can look at this photo:
http://img262.imageshack.us/my.php?imag … 102os3.jpg
After pacman -Syu I rebooted computer and my system crash.
No hardware changes, notning else change, only I have done system upgrade.

A little bit more information /etc/fstab:
/dev/sda1 /boot blablabla
/dev/sda2 /   blablabla
/dev/vg-home/home /home blablabla

Kernel is booting normal (located at /dev/sda1 ; HDD is OK??), but when system starting "software" and checking the file system / (/dev/sda2), you see in photo result.

Any ideas?

Last edited by SKazas (2008-12-05 07:48:39)

Sorry for my english smile

#2 2008-12-05 11:23:01

Lastebil

Re: After pacman -Syu my system won't boot (It is not grub problem!)

That appears to be a page fault/debugger output/crash of some sort; if you have your install cd/usb stick, can you boot with it and use the recovery mode?  If you don't have that, knoppix disk perhaps?

(I am unsure what you would do, as I am not sure what is causing the crash.  Perhaps it will be in one of the logfiles when you boot with the emergency recovery mode.)

The picture gives an idea what is going on, but no specifics - you'll need to get in there with the emergency recovery disk/knoppix disk and see if something indicates just WHAT it is that is crashing.

#3 2008-12-05 12:08:44

SKazas
Website

I can boot computer from instaliation CD and mount partitions, it is not problem.
I have forgot about  emergency booting. But this problem is temporary, there is real problem:
- nvidia-71xx is no longer supported and has been removed from the repositories. Affected users should install xf86-video-nv or xf86-video-vesa, complaints can be sent to nvidia for not providing compatible drivers.
nv driver doesn`t support direct rendering (and 3D), don`t?  And I can`t use more archlinux AND  other distros after updating to new Xorg?
My video card is Geforce FX5700 (not very bad and old card).

Sorry for my english smile

#4 2008-12-05 16:24:07

bgc1954

With that video card you should be able to use nvidia-96xx if you can't use 71xx anymore.  I've been using 96xx for quite awhile with a GeForce 6200 which isn't much newer than your FX5700.

Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils ... - Louis Hector Berlioz

Board footer