You are not logged in.

#1 2008-12-22 01:10:19

oswcab

PARTIALLY SOLVED - Firefox and Network (internet access) very slow

Hi,

I'm a linux user since 6 or 7 years ago but I have always used "newbie friendly" distributions.   

However, I always wanted to use a faster, simpler distribution with more control over the installed software.

I have always liked the Arch philosophy but I was afraid of installing it because of my poor knowlegde of linux "insides".

I downloaded the ArchLive CD and I was very surprised for the speed and beauty of the distribution. So, I took the decision of installing Arch.

I followed the "Beginners Guide " and installed the base system and LXDE (for maximum speed). I also upgraded to the last packages (pacman -Suy).

But I have a problem: the Firefox start and navigation are very slow. Firefox takes 10-15 seconds to open and takes a lot to open a web page. I think I'm doing anything wrong with the network parameters but i have rechecked everything in the configuration files and it seem OK for my "blinded" eyes. Other software (programs) start very fast.

I have Mandriva 2009 in the same computer and it works very well. Even the ArchLive CD is a lot, lot faster.

I don't know what I'm doing wrong. Could someone, please, give some advices at what I have to check? I really want Arch to be my main distribution.

My computer is a home made box with a Pentium Dual Core @ 3GHz, 2 GB RAM and a 500GB Seagate hard drive.

Thanks in advance,

Oswald

PD: Sorry for my english, I'm not very proficient in english neither.

Last edited by oswcab (2008-12-23 01:27:48)

#2 2008-12-22 10:12:09

r6

Re: PARTIALLY SOLVED - Firefox and Network (internet access) very slow

First make sure the hostname in /etc/hosts matches the hostname in /etc/rc.conf.

Then try disabling IPv6 by adding these lines to /etc/modprobe.conf:

# disable autoload of ipv6
alias net-pf-10 off

#3 2008-12-23 01:26:52

oswcab

Thanks, r6, the web browsing is a lot better now. I think the problems was with IPv6. The only thing is that firefox takes 10-15 seconds to start but at least I can surf normally. Thanks again.

#4 2008-12-23 01:32:11

skottish
Forum Fellow

oswcab wrote:

Thanks, r6, the web browsing is a lot better now. I think the problems was with IPv6. The only thing is that firefox takes 10-15 seconds to start but at least I can surf normally. Thanks again.

The first time that Firefox is loaded per session is always slow. Is it always slow to open?

#5 2008-12-23 05:35:50

oswcab

Yes, it's always slow, no matter is it's the first or the 10th time. I have installed the firefox-brandred package from AUR but it has not improved. Any thing to check?. By the way, I have installed OpenOffice 3and it's the fastest I have seen in any distribution (and I have tried a lot). It seems the only slow app right now is Firefox. Thanks for you help.

#6 2008-12-23 05:57:08

r6

It could be your plugins? Try disabling them.....

Board footer