You are not logged in.

#1 2008-12-23 11:39:55

listdata
Website

XDM problems

I just installed Arch from the CD (2008.06), the i686 version, and tried to get XDM to work. Apparently, xdm does not come with xorg, so I had to install it manually with xorg-xdm. I followed the http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Add … ay_Manager, and after changing the run level to 5 (via the /etc/inittab method), I simply restarted hoping xdm to load. It did successfully load up xdm after I rebooted, but now, when I log in with my username, it simply reloads itself endlessly -- I cannot kill xdm, even with CTRL+ALT+BACKSPACE. I can't do anything -- the screen constantly prompts me for my username and password, and I cannot make xdm go away. I just want to get rid of xdm now, and just go into a console, but now I can't even do that.

My problems would be solved if there is a way to somehow boot up Arch into the console, and not let it get to xdm. Is there a way to do this?

EDIT: OK, I just used a live CD from another distro to edit the /etc/inittab file back to its original state, and now it works fine again -- I just have to manually type in startxfce4 like before. I will get some sleep now. wink

Last edited by listdata (2008-12-23 11:55:10)

#2 2008-12-24 19:33:58

bgc1954

Re: XDM problems

If you want to try XDM again, IIRC, you need to set up an .xinitrc file in your home directory to tell your xdm what session to load.

#! /bin/sh
## Load a wm or de with your ~/.xinitrc file

#exec openbox-session
#exec pekwm
#exec enlightenment_start
exec startxfce4

I  believe xdm is much like Slim in this respect so the Slim wiki could be a resource for you also.

Edit: It's been sooooooo.....long since I ever ran xdm--and I also thought it was ugly.  After doing a little more looking, it appears that you need to use an .xsession file, not .xinitrc.  Also the xdm-archlinux package would probably be prettier than straight xorg-xdm. wink  Or better yet, Slim is a nice simple login manager that I used once upon a time.  Slim does use the .xinitrc file to load your wm, de and it has its own wiki.

Last edited by bgc1954 (2008-12-24 20:25:23)

Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils ... - Louis Hector Berlioz

#3 2008-12-25 01:47:12

listdata
Website

bgc1954 wrote:

If you want to try XDM again, IIRC, you need to set up an .xinitrc file in your home directory to tell your xdm what session to load.

#! /bin/sh
## Load a wm or de with your ~/.xinitrc file

#exec openbox-session
#exec pekwm
#exec enlightenment_start
exec startxfce4

I  believe xdm is much like Slim in this respect so the Slim wiki could be a resource for you also.

Edit: It's been sooooooo.....long since I ever ran xdm--and I also thought it was ugly.  After doing a little more looking, it appears that you need to use an .xsession file, not .xinitrc.  Also the xdm-archlinux package would probably be prettier than straight xorg-xdm. wink  Or better yet, Slim is a nice simple login manager that I used once upon a time.  Slim does use the .xinitrc file to load your wm, de and it has its own wiki.

Hey, thanks for your response. I did just give up on xdm -- I didn't bother with any graphical login screens, either, since I am the only user on this computer. I just followed the wikis and made it automatically log into the console, and then start xfce (as described here: http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Aut … on_startup and here: http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Start_X_at_boot).

#4 2009-01-04 10:15:15

sirex

I have exacty same problem as listdata described...

But it seams, that problem is related to hal...

Here is output from /var/log/xdm.log

Errors from xkbcomp are not fatal to the X server
Warning: translation table syntax error: Unknown modifier name:   CtrlR
Warning: ... found while parsing 'CtrlR:abort-display()'
Warning: String to TranslationTable conversion encountered errors
Warning: Cannot convert string "auto" to type ScrollMode
Warning: Cannot convert string "-xos4-terminus-medium-r-normal--32-320-72-72-c-160-iso10646-1" to type FontStruct
Warning: Cannot convert string "-xos4-terminus-medium-r-normal--32-320-72-72-c-160-iso10646-1" to type FontStruct
XIO:  fatal IO error 11 (Resource temporarily unavailable) on X server ":0.0"
      after 80 requests (72 known processed) with 0 events remaining.
xkill:  killing creator of resource 0x80000d
      after 92 requests (92 known processed) with 0 events remaining.
xkill:  killing creator of resource 0x600016
error setting MTRR (base = 0xb0000000, size = 0x08000000, type = 1) Invalid argument (22)
The XKEYBOARD keymap compiler (xkbcomp) reports:
> Error:            No Symbols named "lekpa" in the include file "us"
>                   Exiting
>                   Abandoning symbols file "default"
Could not init font path element /usr/share/fonts/Type1, removing from list!
(EE) intel(0): underrun on pipe B!
[config/dbus] couldn't register object path
> Warning:          Type "ONE_LEVEL" has 1 levels, but <RALT> has 2 symbols
>                   Ignoring extra symbols
> Warning:          Type "ONE_LEVEL" has 1 levels, but <RALT> has 2 symbols
>                   Ignoring extra symbols
Warning: translation table syntax error: Unknown modifier name:   CtrlR
Warning: ... found while parsing 'CtrlR:abort-display()'
Warning: String to TranslationTable conversion encountered errors
Warning: Cannot convert string "auto" to type ScrollMode
      after 92 requests (92 known processed) with 0 events remaining.
xdm error (pid 6733): Display :0 is being disabled
error setting MTRR (base = 0xb0000000, size = 0x08000000, type = 1) Invalid argument (22)
      after 476 requests (68 known processed) with 0 events remaining.

As I read in other forums, find out, that problem is related to hal and xdm boot order.
When I reboot into 3 runlevel, to get tty, instead of xdm, and after logging in and starting startx, X runs just fine. Problem appears only with 5 runlevel, when xdm starts automaticaly...

#5 2009-03-12 22:57:48

singintime

Had the same problem and solved using a .xsession file instead of a .xinitrc, as suggested by bgc1954. Also downloaded the archlinux theme, cause the basic xdm configuration is probably the ugliest screen I saw in all my life (after a windows desktop, maybe wink!
I prefer the look and feel of slim, but as I work with jack applications and real-time audio I need a login manager which supports pam authentication. Unfortunately the officially mantained version of slim doesn't sad

#6 2009-07-22 06:54:25

jwbwater

I was able to get xdm working by making .xinitrc executable (chmod a+x .xinitrc), no .xsession file needed.  And thanks to bgc1954 for the tip on installing the xdm-archlinux package, definitely made xdm less ugly.

Board footer