You are not logged in.

#1 2008-12-26 22:39:11

loupy

[Request] synce-vgfs and synce-hal

I'm looking for the package synce-vgfs (which is different from synce-gnomevfs located here http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=19595) and synce-hal.

There are directions for building synce-vgfs under ubuntu here -http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=817090 and an rpm package here http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=817090

Ubuntu has in its default repos synce-hal.  I have no idea where to even begin on how to start building these under Arch, any help is appreciated.

After doing a lot of searching it seems as if I'm alone in trying to get a Windows Mobile device working under Arch (recently anyway) - I hate M$, but the phone fits my needs perfectly so I use it.

#2 2008-12-30 22:45:02

iruediger

Re: [Request] synce-vgfs and synce-hal

I am also looking for this and have absolutely no idea where to start.

All I want to do is copy files to/from the phone (no need to sync calendars, contacts...)

Last edited by iruediger (2008-12-30 22:49:27)

#3 2009-01-02 23:51:21

loupy

If you just want to do that install WM5Storage on your phone (it works with WM6 and 6.1 as well) - you can download it from here: http://www.htcdriver.com/index.php?page … orage-v1-8

I need the synce-hal since I want to be able to syncronize to evolution and odccm is not working for me sad

So far the only Distro I've been able to get working fully with my phone is Ubuntu 8.10 - I really miss Arch and hope someone can provide the package soon.

Edit: I just noticed you don't need that app if all you want to do is xfer files.  in the usb to pc connection change the type of connection from active sync to disk drive and it'll auto mount whenever you connect.

Last edited by loupy (2009-01-03 00:50:39)

#4 2009-01-03 08:19:46

archlinuxsagi

loupy wrote:

I need the synce-hal since I want to be able to syncronize to evolution and odccm is not working for me sad

Odccm not working? has you start it as daemon?

I assume you already set your PDA to rndis mode instead of serial since it is already working in Ubuntu...

#5 2009-01-03 09:09:34

archlinuxsagi

Ok.
I have tried building synce-hal.
So far, no go. Instead odccm works for me. even restart hal doesn't help.
I guess Ubuntu has a lot of patch in synce-hal to make it works.

A read up on synce.org shows the following which indicate synce-hal is not stable.

Two connection schemes

There is actually two connection schemes you can use: newer rndis and legacy serial-over-usb; rndis is taken care of by the rndis_host driver, while the legacy is taken care by the ipaq driver. Furthermore, there are two ways of making the connection: using older but stable odccm and newer and less tested synce-hal which should essentially do everything odccm did, but in a simpler and cleaner way.

The scheme described below is essentially an rndis connection via odccm. This is why you will be asked to blacklist the ipaq driver and to turn Enable enhanced network functionality on. The serial connection via odccm will be hopefully documented some time later and synce-hal when it gets more stable.

Please note, that not all devices supporting rndis follow the same naming. E.g. for Asus P535 instead of turning Enable enhanced network functionality on you need to select ActiveSync (Turbo mode) in the USB Setting dialogue. Please refer to your device documentation on how to enable rndis on your particular PDA or smartphone.

Nevertheless, below is the pkgbuild if you are interested in building it.

pkgname=synce-hal
pkgver=0.2
pkgrel=1
pkgdesc="hal replacement for synce odccm"
arch=('i686' 'x86_64')
url="http://synce.sourceforge.net/"
license=('GPL')
depends=('synce-libsynce' 'gnet' 'hal' 'dbus')
source=(http://switch.dl.sf.net/sourceforge/synce/synce-hal-$pkgver.tar.gz)
md5sums=('06c7fe3d2b9c130cd485272d6756f599')

build() {
  cd $startdir/src/synce-hal-$pkgver
  ./configure --prefix=/usr
  make || return 1
  make DESTDIR=$startdir/pkg install || return 1
}

Last edited by archlinuxsagi (2009-01-03 09:24:12)

#6 2009-01-03 23:32:33

loupy

archlinuxsagi - Thanks for your help so far.  I've actually gotten a bit further thanks to your direction and I can make a connection via odccm.  I can run various commands and get the expected output (e.g. synce-list-programs).  However, I am unable to create a partnership - normally I would use the synce-create-partnership command, but that does not appear to be installed on my system.  Do you know where I'd be able to find it?

Thanks again for your help.

Last edited by loupy (2009-01-03 23:33:13)

#7 2009-01-04 05:55:25

archlinuxsagi

loupy wrote:

However, I am unable to create a partnership - normally I would use the synce-create-partnership command, but that does not appear to be installed on my system.  Do you know where I'd be able to find it?

It is located at AUR. Search for sync-engine. You need to build it. It is a python program so the file name is create-partnership.py.
BTW, synce-kde package has the GUI to create the partnership provided you have already installed sync-engine.

#8 2009-01-06 15:31:35

loupy

I've given up on getting it working with Arch.  The packages conflict with each other (eg plugin-evolution2 needs opencync-unstable while plugin-synce needs opensync-stable) and all my attempts at repackaging have been unsuccessful.  So I'm stuck with Ubuntu for now sad

All my searching basically points to waiting for Synce 0.40 to come out that should clear up the versioning mess - I'll rejoin arch at that point.

Thanks to everyone for their help - it showed me that there is indeed light at the end of the tunnel.  I hope to be back soon.

#9 2009-02-16 22:02:17

naguz

I just created a wiki page that i hope/believe will work for everyone. It's not like Windows Mobile under arch (or other distro) is 100% yet, but at least this gives me what I need.

s for your needs: It copies what you chosse to sync, like contacts etc. to a folder under ~/PDAFiles. I guess any program that can import WM-data will be able to copy information from there, but it is not tested by me.

Anyway, you can use funambol to sync everything with thunderbird (via wifi/3g) with a client on your phone and a thunderbird plugin. If you must use evolution, that might not be good enough for you, but it is something. If you are desperate, you can always sync data between thunderbird and evolution. I know that is possible, but maybe not an easy solution.

Even though it might be too late for you, I thought it would be a good idea to post this here for others looking for help with windows mobile in arch.

Oh, and go easy on the wiki page. It is my first. tongue

#10 2009-02-17 01:31:50

archlinuxsagi

naguz wrote:

I just created a wiki page

Hi. Thanks for the wiki page. Have u tried the 0.13 version? I have some issues with it and downgrade to 0.12.
BTW. Could you document on how to synce appointment and contacts? I guess many would like to know how to in Arch Linux.

#11 2009-02-17 19:37:23

rumil

I did try and finally got "kind of working" synchronization of contacts, tasks and calendar events. However it was really "pain in the ass" to set up. First of all, you need newer version of wbxml2 then what is available in AUR. Actually it only worked for me with version "0.9.2+svn49synce" which I think can be found on opensync wiki/webpage. Then there is no PKGBUILD available for pywbxml which is also needed (reffer to synce "Installation from source" wiki). Then to compile version 0.22 of evolution2 opensync plugin you need to "hack" Makefile and remove "-Werror" from AM_FLAGS.
Oh, almost forgotten - libopensync in AUR doesn't list "swig" as dependency - and without it python plugins for opensync will not work. Also to get python plugins working you need 0.22 version of libopensync-plugin-python (and python support in libopensyn is necessary to get synce-opensync-plugin working).
Then (at last) when synchronization started, it worked for first and second time, but the third time I've tried to synchronize all of my entries (contacts, events etc) got listed as conflicted.... And no, I didn't change any of them

#12 2009-02-17 22:37:39

naguz

@archlinuxagi: I had planned to do that, but after disvoering funambol (no, i don't work for them, even though i mention them yet again tongue ) I haven't had the need. I am quite busy atm, so I didn't look into it any further.

The big advantage of getting a program to sync with the PDAFiles-directory, is that you avoid just what rumil is experiencing. It should be easy to implement (the data are there, the tools to handle the data are there), but i do not know if any apps currently has the ability to sync with files not on the device.

@rumil: From what I can understand, opensynce parts is conflicting with other parts of opensynce, or they require different versions of each other, right now. Or something like that. The next version is supposed to unify things, time will show. Still, if I am not mistaken, it should be possible to get these data out of the PDAFiles-folder, f everything ere extracted there correctly by synce-kpm.

Edit:
Seems I might have been wrong about the PDAFiles-files. I cannot seem to find contacts or calendar data there, even though they are supposed to be backep up, according to synce-kpm. Strange.

Last edited by naguz (2009-02-17 23:06:57)

#13 2009-03-03 18:44:54

Dinth

Wiki page tutorial doesn't work for me unfortunately. AFAIK odccm doesn't work with pre-WM05 pocketpc's, they need synce-hal. Lack of this is worst thing in Arch ive encountered in it - still many people have WM2003 and WM2003SE devices, because WM2003 system in many things is better than WM05 (for example: emulators, speed and responsivness of system).

#14 2009-03-03 18:59:38

rumil

Dinth wrote:

Wiki page tutorial doesn't work for me unfortunately. AFAIK odccm doesn't work with pre-WM05 pocketpc's, they need synce-hal. Lack of this is worst thing in Arch ive encountered in it - still many people have WM2003 and WM2003SE devices, because WM2003 system in many things is better than WM05 (for example: emulators, speed and responsivness of system).

Actually I think it is a little other way around. In general synce-hal made odccm obsolate (at least that's what release notes to synce-0.13 say) and I think pre WM05 devices need dccm or vdccm (don't really know, I own WM6.1 device). But that's not the point. I've made some PKGBUILDs (just for my personal use) for synce-hal and couple other packages that are needed to make synchronization work (and it actually works for me! :-) ) but thay're pretty awfull ;-). When I have more time (weekend I guess) I'll try to correct them and upload to AUR.

#15 2009-03-04 02:51:46

archlinuxsagi

rumil wrote:

Actually I think it is a little other way around. In general synce-hal made odccm obsolate (at least that's what release notes to synce-0.13 say) and I think pre WM05 devices need dccm or vdccm (don't really know, I own WM6.1 device). But that's not the point. I've made some PKGBUILDs (just for my personal use) for synce-hal and couple other packages that are needed to make synchronization work (and it actually works for me! :-) ) but thay're pretty awfull ;-).

You made synce-hal work? how did u do that? Also, I have issues with synce-0.13.. hence i revert to synce-0.12

#16 2009-03-04 05:46:49

rumil

archlinuxsagi wrote:

You made synce-hal work? how did u do that? Also, I have issues with synce-0.13.. hence i revert to synce-0.12

Well.. basically I didn't do anything, just installed it and it worked....

#17 2009-03-04 09:47:33

archlinuxsagi

rumil wrote:

mmm. it works? even with synce 0.13? what pda brand and model are you using?

#18 2009-03-04 16:14:32

rumil

archlinuxsagi wrote:
rumil wrote:

mmm. it works? even with synce 0.13? what pda brand and model are you using?

Yep, I use

synce-hal 0.13.1-1
synce-kde 0.13-1
synce-libmimedir 0.4-2
synce-librapi 0.13.1-1
synce-libsynce 0.13-1
synce-odccm 0.13-1 # I still have it installed, but not using it any more
synce-rra 0.13-1
syncevolution 0.8.1-1
wbxml2 0.9.2+svn49synce-1

+ evolution and file plugin from opensync 0.22.
I own Sony Ericsson Xperia X1 - WM 6.1Pro device.

#19 2009-03-04 17:00:19

Dinth

I run sync-engine (btw. what is this? ive installed Synce on Ubuntu, Slackware (from compiling) and Gentoo, and never seen this package):

dinth ~ $  sudo sync-engine
SynCE sync-engine starting up
2009-03-04 17:56:46,463 DEBUG syncengine : running main loop
2009-03-04 17:56:46,464 DEBUG syncengine : creating SyncEngine object
2009-03-04 17:56:46,478 INFO engine.syncengine.kernel : __init__: connected device found
2009-03-04 17:56:46,484 DEBUG syncengine : installing signal handlers

So i think everything works here.

But now, when i run synce-kpm i get

Make sure that sync-engine is running

Neither i cannot run synce-matchmaker create:

dinth ~  $  synce-matchmaker create
** Message: Device /org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/usb_device_3f0_1016_noserial_if0_serial_usb_0 not fully set in Hal, skipping
[synce_info_from_file:73] unable to open file: /home/dinth/.synce/active_connection
[rapi_context_connect:173] Failed to get connection info
[main:66] Failed to initialize RAPI

Last edited by Dinth (2009-03-04 17:01:45)

#20 2009-03-04 17:16:29

rumil

sync-engine is the part responsible for synchronization (contacts, events etc). It is not supposed to be run as root! Maybe delete your ~/.synce (some file may have root ownership there for you) and then everything again. Basically, to connect to your phone:
1. You need rndis kernel module (it 's there since version 2.6.25 as far as I remember) or rndis-usb-lite
2. You either need odccm or synce-hal - this is responsibile for "low level communication" and provides needs to browse files on your mobile and such.
3. You need dhclient. Networkmanager didn't work for me. After you connect your phone new ethernet device is added (eth0 in my case) and you need to run "dhclient eth0" if you use odccm (synce-hal runs it for you)
4. If you want to make use of synchronization features or desktop passthrough you need sync-engine. Start it as YOUR user before connecting phone to the computer.

#21 2009-03-04 19:30:16

Dinth

rumil wrote:

sync-engine is the part responsible for synchronization (contacts, events etc).

Hmm is this package of OpenSync ?
But im mainly intrested in making gvfs work, syncing isnt so important.

It is not supposed to be run as root!
Maybe delete your ~/.synce (some file may have root ownership there for you) and then everything again.

Ooops smile But ive tried running OpenSync from user account, everything is the same, except Synce-KPM not showing message about not running sync-engine. Still everything is grayed-out in it, and also my PDA shows no connection to the PC.

1. You need rndis kernel module (it 's there since version 2.6.25 as far as I remember) or rndis-usb-lite

What is that for ?

2. You either need odccm or synce-hal - this is responsibile for "low level communication" and provides needs to browse files on your mobile and such.

Odccm dont work with pre-WM5 devices. I have installed vdccm from repo but nothing.

#22 2009-03-04 20:01:24

rumil

Dinth wrote:
rumil wrote:

sync-engine is the part responsible for synchronization (contacts, events etc).

Hmm is this package of OpenSync ?
But im mainly intrested in making gvfs work, syncing isnt so important.

It is not supposed to be run as root!
Maybe delete your ~/.synce (some file may have root ownership there for you) and then everything again.

Ooops smile But ive tried running OpenSync from user account, everything is the same, except Synce-KPM not showing message about not running sync-engine. Still everything is grayed-out in it, and also my PDA shows no connection to the PC.

What is that for ?

Odccm dont work with pre-WM5 devices. I have installed vdccm from repo but nothing.

Sync-engine is a part of synce, it's a kind of "internal" sync engine for synce, when you sync throgh opensync, you actuallsy sync with sync-engine and sync-engine syncs with the device.

Ok, I guess most of what I have written don't apply to you (about rndis and such) since you use pre-WM5 device. Can't really help you with that... Sorry. I have no knowledge of using synce with devices other then WM6.1-based sad

#23 2009-03-06 14:33:41

Dinth

Ok, ive installed synce-hal.
Now, when i run sync-engine, and synce-kpm i get:

something happened to syncengine!!
Updating the list of partnerships

from kpm in console. But kpm window still is all grayed out.

Sorry. I have no knowledge of using synce with devices other then WM6.1-based

Im admin of PocketPC related portal in worked on many devices and synchronized them with many distributions. But, here on Archlinux, everything is so strange in synce packages sad

Last edited by Dinth (2009-03-06 14:36:25)

#24 2009-03-06 14:36:32

rumil

Dinth wrote:

Ok, ive installed synce-hal.
Now, when i run sync-engine, and synce-kpm i get:

something happened to syncengine!!
Updating the list of partnerships

from kpm in console. But kpm window still is all grayed out.

And what output do you get from sync-engine? That seems to be the problem

#25 2009-03-17 16:40:37

Dinth

Now something changed (but i dont know why, i wasnt doing anything with synce for a week).
I plug in my ipaq, and its connecting. Now im starting sync-engine and get:

SynCE sync-engine starting up                                       
2009-03-17 17:40:01,341 DEBUG syncengine : running main loop        
2009-03-17 17:40:01,341 DEBUG syncengine : creating SyncEngine object
2009-03-17 17:40:01,373 INFO engine.syncengine.kernel : __init__: connected device found                                                                        
2009-03-17 17:40:01,377 INFO engine.syncengine.kernel : _CBHalDeviceConnected: device connected at udi /org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/usb_device_3f0_1016_noserial_if0_serial_usb_0                                                               
2009-03-17 17:40:01,378 INFO engine.config.Config : UpdateConfig - unable to open config file /etc/syncengine.conf.xml ([Errno 2] No such file or directory: '/etc/syncengine.conf.xml') - using defaults                                       
2009-03-17 17:40:01,382 INFO engine.syncengine.kernel :  device Pocket_PC connected                                                                             
2009-03-17 17:40:01,382 INFO engine.syncengine.kernel : ProcessAuth : processing authorization for device 'Pocket_PC'                                           
2009-03-17 17:40:01,384 INFO engine.syncengine.kernel : ProcessAuth: authorization not required for device 'Pocket_PC'                                          
2009-03-17 17:40:01,385 DEBUG engine.syncengine.kernel : OnConnect: setting up RAPI session                                                                     
2009-03-17 17:40:01,404 DEBUG engine.syncengine.kernel : OnConnect: Attempting to bind partnerships                                                             
2009-03-17 17:40:01,404 INFO engine.partnerships.Partnerships : AttemptToBind: Reading partnerships and looking for host binding                                
2009-03-17 17:40:01,404 INFO engine.partnerships.Partnerships : ClearDevicePartnerships: clearing all device partnership info                                   
2009-03-17 17:40:01,405 DEBUG engine.partnerships.Partnerships : ReadDevicePartnerships: reading partnerships from device registry                              
2009-03-17 17:40:01,427 DEBUG engine.partnerships.Partnerships : ReadDevicePartnerships: read partnership ID = 883810265, Hostname = dinth-archlinux            
2009-03-17 17:40:01,427 DEBUG engine.partnerships.Partnerships : _read_device: Adding entry                                                                     
2009-03-17 17:40:01,449 WARNING engine.partnerships.Partnerships : ReadDevicePartnerships: Error getting partnership key 2 from device registry: 2: The system cannot find the file specified.                                                  
2009-03-17 17:40:01,458 DEBUG engine.partnerships.Partnerships : ReadDevicePartnerships: querying synchronization source information from device                
2009-03-17 17:40:01,459 DEBUG engine.xmlutil : _config_query: CeProcessConfig request is
<wap-provisioningdoc>
  <characteristic type="Sync">
    <characteristic-query recursive="false" type="Sources"/>
  </characteristic>
</wap-provisioningdoc>
2009-03-17 17:40:01,517 DEBUG engine.xmlutil : _config_query: CeProcessConfig response is
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<wap-provisioningdoc>
  <characteristic type="Sync">
    <nocharacteristic recursive="false" type="Sources"/>
  </characteristic>
</wap-provisioningdoc>

2009-03-17 17:40:01,518 INFO engine.partnerships.Partnerships : ReadDevicePartnerships: Deleting dangling registry entry: (1, 883810265L)
2009-03-17 17:40:01,527 DEBUG engine.partnerships.Partnerships : AttemptToBind:No valid host bindings found for any device partnership
2009-03-17 17:40:01,527 DEBUG engine.partnerships.Partnerships : AttemptToBind:setting current partnership to None
2009-03-17 17:40:01,531 DEBUG engine.syncengine.kernel : OnConnect: No valid partnership bindings are available, please create one (org.synce.SyncEngine.Error.NoBoundPartnership: )
2009-03-17 17:40:01,532 DEBUG syncengine : installing signal handlers

synce-matchmaker create also works.

Synce-kpm shows actual pocketpc info, but also warning "Make sure Sync-engine is running" and i can now navigate thru synce-kpm,but i still cannot change anything.

Also, is there any way to browse my PDA with Dolphin (KDE4)?

Last edited by Dinth (2009-03-17 16:41:38)

Board footer