You are not logged in.

#1 2009-02-20 18:46:35

anrxc
Website

slim (login manager) fixes and improvements

Development for slim is inactive since September and some important things are broken. I stichted a few patches together for a start, but a few things are still to be fixed. It's a good login manager and I won't replace it, so if anyone feels the same way I invite you to contribute so we can make an AUR package for all users.

PAM support is broken in more ways, there is a patch for PAM but special usernames (console, suspend...) are still broken. If you remove PAM support then they work but you have to deal with that old bug where X does not restart on logout/X kill. Between the two I settled for PAM support as it's more important that I'm able to logout properly. There's also an annoying bug where keyboard stops working on a VC from where slim was started, a patch is available for that. As for new functionality only thing I missed was Xinerama support, and now a patch is available that adds it.

Here is a PKGBUILD with these patches:
1. Xinerama support
http://developer.berlios.de/patch/?func … up_id=2663
2. No keyboard on VC
3. PAM support fix
4. Restart Xserver if killed

Information about the PAM and special usernames bug is in this bug report: http://bugs.archlinux.org/task/12456

You need to install an RTFM interface.

#2 2009-02-23 17:11:53

brisbin33
Website

Re: slim (login manager) fixes and improvements

Hey, thanks for patching this.  your site seems to be missing slim.logrotate.  google found one but it won't validate against your md5 sum i guess.  can you post one to your site?

thanks

#3 2009-02-23 18:56:37

fijam
Website

Did you try to contact SLiM developers to see if they would like to push the patches upstream?

#4 2009-02-27 15:59:38

anrxc
Website

Hey, thanks for patching this.  your site seems to be missing slim.logrotate.

I am very sorry for that, the file was there but web server didn't display it thinking it was a .log file.

Did you try to contact SLiM developers to see if they would like to push the patches upstream?

If you missed checking the links to patches source... they are from the slim project page, but developers are silent since September.

#5 2009-02-28 23:28:59

brisbin33
Website

ok, i built and installed your PKGBUILD; now, immediately upon login slim throws up an Unamed Window (the same one that comes up when previewing slim themes) showing only the current slim theme's background pic.  the windows the size of my desktop and shifted about 10 pixels North-East.  anyone else getting this?  any ideas where that could be coming from?

FWIW: i start slim via inittab.  and upgrading to your package was the only change i've made to my system before seeing this behavior.

#6 2009-03-01 18:11:00

anrxc
Website

Your /etc/slim.conf.pacnew file has a new setup option: xinerama_screen  so it could be that is what causing this, I updated my config with it prior to restarting slim so I didn't see what happens when you don't do it (I imagine it should default to screen 0). Other then that I can't think of anything else, it all works fine here, only the xinerama patch changes how slim is displayed.

#7 2009-03-03 13:40:32

scarecrow

I'm getting the same as brisbin33 (with both usable settings for xinerama), and more than that picking another WM/DE does not work properly.
When pressing F1 and picking the alternative WM (Fluxbox) I get XFCE4 (again), and now if I log out of XFCE4 I go straight to a fluxbox session instead the normal Slim prompt!
Both xfce4 and fluxbox are called via the "modern" way, namely "exec ck-launch-session startxfce4" and "exec ck-launch-session startfluxbox" in .xinitrc
Do we need some changes to the traditional .xinitrc syntax to get this going? I also like slim, and it will be a pity to be forced to drop it in favor of gdm...

Last edited by scarecrow (2009-03-03 13:43:07)

Microshaft delenda est

#8 2009-03-05 21:54:47

anrxc
Website

Xinerama patch causes that. Without it I'm not sure this is worth building, as PAM patch only solves part of the problem, restart X works only on logout and not when killed (while without PAM support it doesn't work in both cases). Keyboard patch is good but it's not often you start slim your self...

#9 2009-04-18 13:39:01

stanger

Hi, is some chance how to login as root without password with this slim build? (I need this for my live cd)

#10 2010-01-19 03:46:42

wbeyda

broke my xterm, power manager, networkmanager, nitrogen, and conky. Uhhhn In Staaaaled! back to gdm till pekwm makes one.

#11 2010-01-19 03:49:37

Ghost1227
Forum Fellow
Website

.:[My Blog] || [My GitHub]:.

#12 2010-01-19 04:32:03

skottish
Forum Fellow

Yeah, let's let this thread sleep the eternal sleep.

wbeyda, if you need help with this, please start a new thread.

Board footer