You are not logged in.

#1 2009-04-05 23:07:47

Andy Mack

Nautilus Spawning Endless Instances After Update

I have just done pacman -Syu and it's installed all the new gnome 2.26 stuff, no errors or anything during but when I have just rebooted into it I am getting Nautilus opening endless amounts of instances but no windows and it's freezing my laptop and only hard rest works.

I managed to have a quick look for errors in the logs but not getting anything other than the usual message about the theme im using.

Any ideas? I dont like XP anymore

#2 2009-04-05 23:45:40

superchango

Re: Nautilus Spawning Endless Instances After Update

Hi, i had same problem with new gnome 2.26, but only when unmark "Show desktop"  nautilus option in gconf-editor. When the option is actived, nautilus instances are closed and all work fine.

"Yo creo que los muertos son tiernos. ¿Nos besamos?"

#3 2009-04-06 02:06:51

allbluedream

Same thing happened with my installation too.

Edit:
I tested this with a fresh user account, and without touching the "show desktop" option, nautilus began to spawn endless instances upon first creation. In my regular account nautilus is removed from the "required components" list in gconf, and I am not having this problem right now.

Last edited by allbluedream (2009-04-06 06:43:55)

#4 2009-04-06 07:56:55

wantilles

allbluedream wrote:

Same thing happened with my installation too.

Edit:
I tested this with a fresh user account, and without touching the "show desktop" option, nautilus began to spawn endless instances upon first creation. In my regular account nautilus is removed from the "required components" list in gconf, and I am not having this problem right now.

I did some experimentation on this.

It seems that if somebody is running compiz-fusion (as I do) nautilus needs to be in the required components.

However, it can be told not to respawn automatically if it fails.

Here is the bug report, with a proposed solution (proposed patch and proposed PKGBUILD using the patch):

http://bugs.archlinux.org/task/14110

Last edited by wantilles (2009-04-06 07:58:36)

#5 2009-04-06 07:57:36

wantilles

Please delete.

Last edited by wantilles (2009-04-06 07:58:21)

#6 2009-04-06 18:26:46

wrc1944

I've been struggling with this bug for days. Nothing I've seen fixes it so far.  Since nautilus is THE default file manager for Gnome, wouldn't fixing this bug that makes gnome unusable with it's own file manager be a top priority? Still have to use Thunar, which is OK, but come on- the Gnome devs can't fix Nautilus?. roll

Anyone have some fresh ideas, or am I just missing something obvious (it's been know to happen)? smile

#7 2009-04-06 21:57:41

wantilles

wrc1944 wrote:

I've been struggling with this bug for days. Nothing I've seen fixes it so far.  Since nautilus is THE default file manager for Gnome, wouldn't fixing this bug that makes gnome unusable with it's own file manager be a top priority? Still have to use Thunar, which is OK, but come on- the Gnome devs can't fix Nautilus?. roll

Anyone have some fresh ideas, or am I just missing something obvious (it's been know to happen)? smile

There is a proposed fix in the link above.

#8 2009-04-06 23:47:41

wrc1944

Thanks wantilles,
I did read all that stuff, and some other similar "fixes" posted on other distro's forums, but only had partial success.
As I mentioned on the other related thread on this page, I got the Nautilus file manager panel windows endless respawning to stop, but Nautilus still refuses to launch. Adding hal to rc.conf dameons as an Arch dev suggested creates another problem with key repeats, not allowing even a login from gdm. roll

#9 2009-08-26 08:37:25

king.flasher.dave
Website

hmm, i also have this problem.

I get Nautilus to run, but it will spawn endless instances, if I try to tick "Show Desktop" in gconf.
Otherwise it is stable as far as I can see it. Right now I'm just not able to use the Desktop Icons. This kinda sucks.
And I'm not able to try some fixes, as the bug section is down... hmm

Can someone please explain? Would be HIGHLY appreciated!
My Gnome is still functional without the Desktop of course, but I want to run compiz again...
And I think I'm not gonna touch that with a broken Nautilus :>

[edit]:

I edited /usr/share/applications/nautilus.desktop and set autorestart = false
Might have to switch it back later on, but right now my desktop symbols and nautilus are working fine!
So right now, no further help needed smile

Last edited by king.flasher.dave (2009-08-29 10:25:06)

Speak when you are angry and you will make the best speech you'll ever regret.

Board footer