You are not logged in.

#1 2009-04-17 00:41:48

cb474

Gnome Screen Lock Shows Random Leaf Background (How to Change?)

When I lock the screen in Gnome, with alt+ctrl+L, or when it locks on suspend, I get a leaf image background behind the dialogue for unlocking the screen. I have the screensaver set to just blank the screen and I don't even see a leaf background in the screensaver options. I guess maybe this is the default root desktop image? How do I change it? Thanks.

Last edited by cb474 (2009-04-19 01:11:17)

#2 2009-04-17 01:00:10

cb474

Re: Gnome Screen Lock Shows Random Leaf Background (How to Change?)

I found this thread which seems to address a similar issue:

But setting the desktop image while running gconf-editor as root did not change the image, behing the locked screen dialogue.

#3 2009-04-17 01:07:14

cb474

Okay, nevermind, I found two more threads on this:

The trick is to change:

/usr/share/pixmaps/backgrounds/gnome/background-default.jpg

In my defense, I have to say whenever I search using the forum search mechanism, the results aren't very relevant. But then I did a google search (not even specifically on the Arch forums or mentioning Arch) and got relevant Arch threads right away.

#4 2009-04-17 01:17:19

isak

cb474 wrote:

Okay, nevermind, I found two more threads on this:

The trick is to change:

/usr/share/pixmaps/backgrounds/gnome/background-default.jpg

In my defense, I have to say whenever I search using the forum search mechanism, the results aren't very relevant. But then I did a google search (not even specifically on the Arch forums or mentioning Arch) and got relevant Arch threads right away.

You can also change it in /etc/gconf/gconf.xml.defaults/%gconf-tree.xml with the ability to choose the background style zoom, centered etc. After changes has been made to %gconf-tree.xml you must logout and login again for the changes to take effect.

<entry name="picture_filename" mtime="1239754046" type="schema" stype="string" owner="gnome">
                        <local_schema locale="C" short_desc="Picture Filename">
                            <default type="string">
                                <stringvalue>/usr/share/pixmaps/backgrounds/gnome/background-default.jpg</stringvalue>
                            </default>
                            <longdesc>File to use for the background image.</longdesc>
                        </local_schema>
                    </entry>
                    <entry name="picture_options" mtime="1239754046" type="schema" stype="string" owner="gnome">
                        <local_schema locale="C" short_desc="Picture Options">
                            <default type="string">
                                <stringvalue>zoom</stringvalue>
                            </default>
                            <longdesc>Determines how the image set by wallpaper_filename is
    rendered.  Possible values are "none", "wallpaper", "centered", "scaled",
    "stretched", "zoom".</longdesc>
                        </local_schema>
                    </entry>

Last edited by isak (2009-04-17 01:23:56)

#5 2009-04-17 05:39:07

CaptainShanks

Holy crap! I've been trying to figure this out since I started Arch Linux! XD

#6 2009-04-24 01:18:25

kbg

Another (easier?) way to change the default background is to choose your favorite background on your desktop. Then start the gconf-editor (as normal user), go to
/desktop/gnome/background and set the key picture_filename (and maybe the color) as default, using the context menu.

This should also affect the "lock screen" background after you logged out and in again.

#7 2009-04-24 01:56:34

cb474

kbg wrote:

Another (easier?) way to change the default background is to choose your favorite background on your desktop. Then start the gconf-editor (as normal user), go to
/desktop/gnome/background and set the key picture_filename (and maybe the color) as default, using the context menu.

This should also affect the "lock screen" background after you logged out and in again.

Thanks for the suggestion. I'm pretty sure I tried that and it didn't work. Gnome seemed to be referring to a default set outside the specific user settings. Even changing that setting when running gconf-editor as root didn't work for me. It just kept wanting to use the "background-default.jpg" image in /usr/share/pixmaps/backgrounds/gnome/. That's why, as I explained above, I ended up just changing that image to the one I wanted (I think I actually made it a symbolic link to the image I wanted). Sometimes Gnome just has a mind of its own, I guess?

Board footer