You are not logged in.

#1 2009-04-25 23:15:32

harida

non-english caracters in file names

Hi,
I use archlinux, KDE, Dolphin.
I have a problem with file names with the norwegian caracters ø æ å in some file names. I get the message that "the file does not exist". I can change the file name in the terminal, but it's a lot of work. In Dolphin the place of this letters there are a question sign. In the terminal there are different signs and a number.
Can anybody tell me what causes the problem and a way to solve it.

#2 2009-04-25 23:24:03

lucke

Re: non-english caracters in file names

What locale are you using? It should be set in rc.conf.

#3 2009-04-26 08:48:25

Llama
Banned

Are you having trouble on any kind of partition? It's NTFS, most probably smile . It's the only one likely to give trouble this late in the day.

(1)Check

$ locale

en_US.utf8 is OK; the task of correct automounting requires no more.

(2) install ntfs-3g

(3) Check the population of /etc/hal/fdi/policy and /usr/share/hal/fdi/policy; if there's no 10-ntfs-policy.fdi or something similar, create it. /etc/hal/fdi/policy/10-ntfs-policy.fdi:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<deviceinfo version="0.2">
<!-- mount ntfs volume with the ntfs-3g driver to enable write support -->
    <device>
        <match key="volume.fstype" string="ntfs">
            <match key="@block.storage_device:storage.hotpluggable" bool="true">
                <merge key="volume.fstype" type="string">ntfs-3g</merge>
                <merge key="volume.policy.mount_filesystem" type="string">ntfs-3g</merge>
            </match>
        </match>
    </device>
</deviceinfo>

(4) Log in and enjoy

Last edited by Llama (2009-04-26 09:01:26)

#4 2009-04-26 14:57:38

harida

I have the Reiser file system, and have en_US.utf8 in rc.conf and activated:
en_US.utf8
en_US ISO 8859-1
nb_NO.utf8
nb_NO ISO 8859-1
i /etc/locale.gen

Can it possibly have something to do with that these files have been loaded down from other users? Is there any program or script that can help?

Thank you so fare.

#5 2009-04-26 15:17:15

Llama
Banned

harida wrote:

Can it possibly have something to do with that these files have been loaded down from other users? Is there any program or script that can help?

Corrupted, that is, by other users? Sounds depressing...

If you got a LiveCD known for its correct handling of the mounting issues, you may check.

#6 2009-04-26 17:00:23

harida

What I meant was, can it have something to do with the fact that I have downloaded these files from a torrent site,
and that they have been stored on ntfs by the user sharing them?

#7 2009-04-26 18:23:25

Procyon

Can you access a file that you make yourself? Just do
echo "test" > øæå.txt

Can you open that in your GUI app?

Otherwise, I know encoding issues can arise from .zip files because zip doesn't store the encoding, so extracting it without the proper "-O encoding" or export UNZIP="-O encoding" will result in messy filenames.

#8 2009-04-26 18:47:12

Llama
Banned

harida wrote:

What I meant was, can it have something to do with the fact that I have downloaded these files from a torrent site,

Sounds very far fetched. I have torrent downloaded files named even in oriental languages, presumably from Windows partitions smile - no artifacts that I can remember.

#9 2009-04-26 23:10:39

whaler

harida wrote:

I don't know, but I just experienced something similar.

I used cpio to pass files from a Bluewhite64 JFS /home partition to my new Maxtor Basics 1TB external USB disk, which I had reformatted from NTFS to JFS. SOME file and directory names containing the letter 'ø' or 'Ø' are visible in file managers and in a console, yet when I try to open them the system claims they don't exist. I can NOT open them from the command line either. The names appear garbled under Bluewhite64 as well, but there I can open them without problems. I had always thought I would get safe copies with cpio...

I have LOCALE="nb_NO.utf8" in /etc/rc.conf, and
nb_NO.UTF-8 UTF-8                                                               
nb_NO ISO-8859-1
activated in /etc/locale.gen

Interestingly, with the keyboard mapped to 'no.latin1', the letter 'ø' appears as a 'funny' character on the console under runlevel 3. When I try the other choice for Norwegian, 'no.map.gz', I get a dvorak keyboard instead of qwerty. You can never win.

The problematic files in question, i.e. of the ones I copied, are old and have passed through various OS's. That may be part of of the problem, but it does not explain the Norwegian keyboard anomalies in Arch, or the fact that the files are loadable and readable under Bluewhite64.

Last edited by whaler (2009-04-26 23:12:37)

#10 2009-04-27 15:23:53

harida

If I make a new file name with the letters ø ,æ å everything works fine.

I have problems with files (with ø æ å) imported from my older computer with windows os, and some (not all)of the files I download with ø æ å.  On the place for these characters it is ( in dolphin)a question mark.   When I change the question mark to ø æ å in the terminal , everything is working.

To do this is a lot of work, and something is wrong but I don't know what.

#11 2009-04-27 21:42:25

bernarcher
Forum Fellow

Did you try iconv? Some experimenting might be necessary, but once you found out, some simple bash loop would convert your filenames properly.

To know or not to know ...
... the questions remain forever.

#12 2009-04-30 11:30:51

whaler

whaler wrote:

The problematic files in question, i.e. of the ones I copied, are old and have passed through various OS's. That may be part of of the problem, but it does not explain the Norwegian keyboard anomalies in Arch, or the fact that the files are loadable and readable under Bluewhite64.

Sorry, Arch - the fault was all mine!

It turned out I had not filled in anything for "CONSOLEFONT=" in /etc/rc.conf. When I did, and chose the font "lat1-16.psfu.gz", my keyboard and the text rendering functioned normally. Lesson to myself: READ and UNDERSTAND the conf files! I have still to fill in the "CONSOLEMAP=" - I need to gear up for another learning session first...

The old files that were copied between partitions by CPIO from another Linux distro are still unrecognized by the system, but recognized by Dolphin, although it is unable to open them. But I noticed something unexpected: when I use (Info)Zip and unpack the same files in Arch, they are fully recognized and readable. I had expected the opposite to be more likely, hence my use of CPIO.

#13 2009-04-30 20:46:56

jonkristian
Website

@whaler

"Interestingly, with the keyboard mapped to 'no.latin1', the letter 'ø' appears as a 'funny' character on the console under runlevel 3. When I try the other choice for Norwegian, 'no.map.gz', I get a dvorak keyboard instead of qwerty. You can never win."

Yeah, some things changed with the way arch handles keyboard layouts, you should change to qwerty/no.

PROCRASTINATION
is like masturbation...it's good in the beginning, but in the end, you realize
you've just fkd yourself

#14 2009-05-01 00:31:43

whaler

I used that setting for a while, but got warnings during boot about using slashes in Linux filenames... After changing to what I described above, everything seems to work smoothly, but it would be interesting to know what you place in CONSOLEFONT and CONSOLEMAP?

Board footer