You are not logged in.

#1 2009-04-30 03:26:15

V01D

auto.net missing in autofs 5.0.4-4

Is there any reason why auto.net isn't provided anymore. The diff on the PKGBUILD clearly shows the auto.net not being installed anymore. Why is that? I use this functionality.

#2 2009-05-11 20:04:32

lacteus

Re: auto.net missing in autofs 5.0.4-4

Up.
Same question for me.
Why is auto.net missing ?

It is very useful for auto-mounting NFS shares.

#3 2009-05-13 16:10:35

sesamemucho

See this http://bugs.archlinux.org/task/12768 for why auto.net was removed. As for the why of the why, I think it relates to the new autofs being version 5 instead of version 4 (Google for "autofs5"), and the old auto.net isn't needed or doesn't work anymore. I've got my single nfs mount working with the following:

In /etc/autofs/auto.master:

/media/net      /etc/autofs/auto.nfsmnt

and in /etc/autofs/auto.nfsmnt:

foo -rw,async,hard,intr,noatime,user hostname:/nfs-foo

where hostname is the name of the nfs server, /nfs-foo is the shared directory on hostname, and the directory will be mounted on /media/net/foo

It looks like the new autofs has a much easier way of doing nfs mounting than version 4, but I haven't gotten around to looking into it yet.

S.

#4 2009-05-13 22:45:42

V01D

sesamemucho wrote:

See this http://bugs.archlinux.org/task/12768 for why auto.net was removed. As for the why of the why, I think it relates to the new autofs being version 5 instead of version 4 (Google for "autofs5"), and the old auto.net isn't needed or doesn't work anymore. I've got my single nfs mount working with the following:

/media/net      /etc/autofs/auto.nfsmnt

and in /etc/autofs/auto.nfsmnt:

foo -rw,async,hard,intr,noatime,user hostname:/nfs-foo

where hostname is the name of the nfs server, /nfs-foo is the shared directory on hostname, and the directory will be mounted on /media/net/foo

It looks like the new autofs has a much easier way of doing nfs mounting than version 4, but I haven't gotten around to looking into it yet.

S.

Well... it isn't a matter of simplicity. Your version explicitly lists the server and mountpoint, auto.net allowed one to mount any directory from any server without explicitly listing it anywhere.

#5 2009-05-14 01:28:45

sesamemucho

Oops! Very sorry for being misleading. What I meant to show was just a way to get something going if someone were desperate for an NFS mount.

It looks like the new way to do it is to use -hosts:

/your/mount/point     -hosts

seems to give the same effect as auto.net. Put any mount options after the "-hosts".

#6 2009-05-14 01:58:03

V01D

sesamemucho wrote:

Oops! Very sorry for being misleading. What I meant to show was just a way to get something going if someone were desperate for an NFS mount.

seems to give the same effect as auto.net. Put any mount options after the "-hosts".

Absolutely great. Thanks a lot for that information. I think autofs/automount is one of the less documented systems I've seen in a long time. Out of curiosity, where did you find that information?

#7 2009-05-14 03:11:50

sesamemucho

V01D wrote:
sesamemucho wrote:

Absolutely great. Thanks a lot for that information. I think autofs/automount is one of the less documented systems I've seen in a long time. Out of curiosity, where did you find that information?

Yeah, it's kind of like an old-time oracle: once you already know the information, then you can understand the documentation! I checked around Google with various combinations of autofs, auto.net and nfs. I eventually found https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=197824. The first two comments showed me the light.

#8 2009-06-13 12:20:38

Dieter@be
Forum Fellow
Website

After adding `/var/autofs/net     -hosts` to my auto.master and restarting I get this in my daemon.log:

Jun 13 14:10:28 dieter-ws-a7n8x-arch automount[21742]: syntax error in nsswitch config near [ syntax error ]

See also http://bugs.archlinux.org/task/14474 sad

Edit: but hey it works otherwise lol

Last edited by Dieter@be (2009-06-13 12:45:40)

< Daenyth> and he works prolifically
4 8 15 16 23 42

Board footer