You are not logged in.

#1 2009-05-25 16:53:32

Jorje_Villafan

Connections for some programs wont work after update

did a pacman -Syu  yesterday on our desktop  and as a result  the following programs wont connect  to the internet - firefox, epiphany, pidgin, invest applet, weather applet, xchat,  PACMAN and probably others.... While things like skype, urbanterror, and firefox in virtual box windows connect fine.

Our Arch laptop which wasn't updated yesterday connects just fine to the net via wireless or ethernet cable.

I'll be happy to post any info to help solve the problem.

#2 2009-05-25 17:30:04

Jorje_Villafan

Re: Connections for some programs wont work after update

Hey, well I tried this:

http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/IPv … the_Module

and it fixed firefox, epiphany, xchat and weather, invest applet still not working.

#3 2009-05-25 20:25:18

Jorje_Villafan

still no pacman though here is what I get now for -Syu

bash-3.2# pacman -Syu
:: Synchronizing package databases...
error: failed retrieving file 'core.db.tar.gz' from archlinux.unixheads.org : Transient resolver failure
error: failed to update core (Transient resolver failure)
error: failed retrieving file 'extra.db.tar.gz' from archlinux.unixheads.org : Transient resolver failure
error: failed to update extra (Transient resolver failure)
error: failed retrieving file 'community.db.tar.gz' from archlinux.unixheads.org : Transient resolver failure
error: failed to update community (Transient resolver failure)
error: failed retrieving file 'archlinuxfr.db.tar.gz' from repo.archlinux.fr : Transient resolver failure
error: failed to update archlinuxfr (Transient resolver failure)
error: failed to update arch-games (Transient resolver failure)
error: failed to synchronize any databases
bash-3.2#

#4 2009-05-25 22:39:51

gdavid

#5 2009-05-26 00:12:22

Ranguvar

Try pinging 208.67.222.222. If that works and pinging, say, Google, does not, you have a DNS issue.

#6 2009-05-26 05:38:07

Jorje_Villafan

I coudn't ping that ip, but I could ping Google, so i went along with dns being the issue and set up OpenDNS then everything went back to normal.  Yay got my pacman back.

Thanks for the suggestions.

#7 2009-05-26 05:49:25

djgera
Developer
Website

Maybe this can be related to the new build of glibc, since it does not include the patch that disable gethostbyname4()...

#8 2009-05-26 05:52:43

Allan
Pacman
Website

djgera wrote:

Maybe this can be related to the new build of glibc, since it does not include the patch that disable gethostbyname4()...

I'd say it is definitely because of that...  That patch should no longer be needed on the vast majority of systems.  Work arounds are given here: http://udrepper.livejournal.com/20948.html . But going with OpenDNS is a good solution.

#9 2009-05-26 07:35:55

cb474

So this "bug" effectively will not be fixed because it is considered the proper way glibc should work?

Also it says in the link a work around has been implemented, but I'm assuming that's just for Fedora?

(By the way, trying at least one of the work arounds suggested in the link, adding "options single-request" to /etc/resolv.conf, does not work for me--it also didn't work for me when I saw this problem crop up and not get resolved in Debian; until now I had been happily enjoying not seeing the glibc DNS problem in Arch.)

Last edited by cb474 (2009-05-26 07:39:11)

#10 2009-06-13 20:16:36

james

<rant>
mad
hmm I'm at a friends right now who has an old zyxel router and I ran into exactly this problem, _ping works fine_ while pacman, firefox etc fail.

-I tried the 'options single-request' fix which does not work for me.
-I disabled net-pf-10 / inet6 - no success. 
-For some reason nscd breaks my system to the point where X does not start and even a simple login on the text console takes minutes.
-And I really wonder why I should install a caching name server or setup bind to work around glibc. How do I know the next version will not implement the same behaviour.
-I'm not willing to switch to OpenDNS servers or screw up my setup in other ways just because glibc will no longer work with this single router.

So I just give up. This DNS NSS improvement really is a great piece of work.
sad
</rant>

#11 2009-06-14 10:21:19

JGC
Developer

Try "options single-request" in /etc/resolv.conf, this should revert to the old glibc 2.8 behaviour.
In fact, it's a problem with your router or DNS server, not a bug in glibc.

#12 2009-06-15 11:17:44

james

JGC wrote:
Try "options single-request" in /etc/resolv.conf, this should revert to the old glibc 2.8 behaviour.

Thank you. It didn't work for me.

james wrote:
So I just give up.

Installing dnsmasq works for me as a workaround (so this is how I spend my weekends). I still don't like having twenty tools running all the time.

JGC wrote:
In fact, it's a problem with your router or DNS server, not a bug in glibc.

I prefer working software over 100% correct code that is of no use. Btw it's not my router, I was daring and took my notebook to where no man had gone before...:|

Board footer