You are not logged in.

#1 2009-07-11 16:21:46

fh

[SOLVED] My first Archlinux installation, X problem

Hello,

I'm tying to get Archlinux working since yesterday. My aim right now is to set a bare-minimum setup, which for me is to make X work, get sound and be able to browse the Internet.

My first problem post-installation has a network config. issue and has been resolved. (http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=75781;  thanks Trent and others.) I'll post issues that crop up here as I proceed; this may help other newbies also.

I'm following instruction in the beginner's guide. Right now I'm stuck at "Configure sound with alsamixer" (http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Beg … igure_ALSA).

I followed all instructions -- installed alsa-utils and alsa-oss, blacklisted the pc speaker using "MODULES=(!snd_pcsp)" in rc.conf. My non-root user is part of the audio group. I went into alsamixer user non-root user and did unmute Master and PCM and increased their volumes.

But the sound test fails; No audo on executing $ aplay /usr/share/sounds/alsa/Front_Center.wav.

However, I think I can ignore this for now while I try and install X. So that's what I'm going to do now.

Faraz.

Last edited by fh (2009-07-12 18:32:19)

#2 2009-07-11 17:16:47

oib111

Re: [SOLVED] My first Archlinux installation, X problem

Try:

amixer set Master 94% unmute
amixer set PCM 81% unmute

You can replace the 94% and 81% wit hthe values you want.

#3 2009-07-11 17:33:36

fh

I'm trying to get X working.  I followed instructions; in particular I had to install and configure stuff related to NVidia video card.

Guide says to try to configure X without auto xorg.conf file (See http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Beg … conf_file).

Then, "Without xorg.conf" section says to install hal and try 'startx. I did. And it worked! Its working consistently. I see a login window, two teminals and an analog clock.  Mouse and keyboard work.

Now, coming back to the Beginner's guide. It says to "Test X" (http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Beg … #C:_Test_X) using: # X -config /etc/X11/xorg.conf.

That's not working. I get the error 'Failed to load module "freetype" (module does not exit, 0)'.

So basically, 'startx' works, but 'X -config xorg.conf' doesn't.

#4 2009-07-11 18:03:58

fh

Since startX was working, I decided to install xfce. I get the following messages on startxfce4:

Unable to contact settings setver
Failed to execute dbus-launch to autolaunch D-Bus session

Unable to load a failsafe session
Unable to determine failsafe session name. Possible causes xconfd isn't running (D-Bus setup problem);
environment variable $XDG_CONFIG_DIRS is set incorrectly (must include "/etc") or xfce4-session is installed incorrectly.

So now I'm definitely stuck.

(Note: startx still works. Opens terminals, etc with mouse, keybd, working fine)

Last edited by fh (2009-07-11 18:05:58)

#5 2009-07-11 18:05:00

fh

oib111 wrote:

Try:

amixer set Master 94% unmute
amixer set PCM 81% unmute

You can replace the 94% and 81% wit hthe values you want.

Tried that but no luck. I'll try to get back to this after (and if) I get xfce working.

#6 2009-07-11 22:36:19

Trent

It looks like dbus isn't running.  Make sure 'dbus' (or 'hal') is in DAEMONS in rc.conf, and reboot or type '/etc/rc.d/dbus start'.  (You started X before typing 'startxfce4', right?)

BTW, which method did you use to create a test xorg.conf?  I recommend 'Xorg -configure'.

#7 2009-07-12 00:57:33

fh

Trent wrote:

It looks like dbus isn't running.  Make sure 'dbus' (or 'hal') is in DAEMONS in rc.conf, and reboot or type '/etc/rc.d/dbus start'.  (You started X before typing 'startxfce4', right?)

BTW, which method did you use to create a test xorg.conf?  I recommend 'Xorg -configure'.

I added dbus to rc.conf (I already added hal to it before). No luck. 'startx' works. 'startxfce4'  (before or after startx) still says dbus-launch error.

I tried to ways to generate xorg.conf: 'Xorg -configure' and 'nvidia-xconfig'. Neither works.  I suspect nvidia card is causing problems.

#8 2009-07-12 04:29:03

thisoldman

Did you install dbus?  The install guide on the wiki never explicitly tells you to do so.

pacman -S dbus

That missing step had me puzzled when I first installed Arch.

#9 2009-07-12 05:19:44

windtalker

I run nvidia and didn't install dbus.
I did:
# nvidia-xconfig --composite --add-argb-glx-visuals

Then in /etc/X11/xorg.conf

Option          "RenderAccel" "true"
       Option          "NoLogo" "true"
       Option          "AGPFastWrite" "true"
       Option          "EnablePageFlip" "true"

Checked that Dri was commented and did

# depmod -a

Added hal to the daemons list, rebooted and tried startx as user.
I installed Gnome this time around and have been up and running for two days.
I think what confuses folks are the things that comes after doing #depmod -a.
Once you've done the depmod -a, just add hal, reboot, try startx then skip down to adding your D/E.
As for your sound issue, I have to leave line jac muted in alsamixer to have sound.
Doesn't hurt to try it in yours.

#10 2009-07-12 05:43:00

fh

thisoldman wrote:

Did you install dbus?  The install guide on the wiki never explicitly tells you to do so.

pacman -S dbus

That missing step had me puzzled when I first installed Arch.

Thanks a lot thisoldman. I did that and then added dbus to  daemon to rc.conf. On reboot, I logged in as root and startxfce4 worked!

So I'm writing this from firefox from my first Arclinux installation.

Btw, I could not get X working on the desktop (which had Nvidia) I was working on before, so I installed on my laptop which has Intel video card.

Also, again unlike the earlier desktop machine, the alsa audio worked just fine during installation process on my laptop. I'm yet to try out any music or video yet. But its late so I'll try tomorrow.

Thanks everyone!

Board footer