You are not logged in.

#1 2009-08-04 10:32:09

dencrypt

AES-NI and Command Failed.

I've installed arch successfully with (LUKS/dm/crypt) aes-xts-plain ciphers protecting /, /home and swap. I can open the encrypted drives with live-cd with cryptsetup luksOpen but at boot time I get the following error.

Intel AES-NI instructions are not detected

Another strange thing is that the error message only appears once. If I try the passphrase three times I get another errormessage:

Command failed: No key available with this passphrase

I recently came from ubuntu which worked like a charm when encrypting the drive. However I used LVM then... but I hardly believe that that would have anything to do with this problem. Is there problems with the x86_64 architecture? Am I missing something to modprobe? Hooks?

plz help.

#2 2009-08-04 11:08:20

bender02

Re: AES-NI and Command Failed.

Since you have / encrypted, its decryption must happen from the initramfs (after the kernel is loaded, but before initscripts kick in). So you need to make sure that the appropriate kernel modules are being included there - so check your /etc/mkinitcpio.conf. I would think that the crypto modules are autodetected, but maybe not. Try including them in the MODULES field in mkinitcpio.conf, regenerating it 'sudo mkinitcpio -p kernel26' and rebooting.

EDIT: The error message looks like that your processor doesn't support this extra extension (googling showed up that this message is emitted in this case); so perhaps mkinitcpio included the incorrect aes module into the initramfs.

Last edited by bender02 (2009-08-04 11:12:01)

#3 2009-08-04 22:35:28

dencrypt

Re: AES-NI and Command Failed.

Thank you. It worked, I had a typo in my modules smile

I also forgot to change my keymap (still hasn't gotten that to work for swedish layout) and put reiserfs in the modules as well smile But now it's working, however with a simpler luksKey...

Board footer