You are not logged in.

#1 2009-09-08 15:12:52

invernomuto
Website

Yet Another Pacman Gui 0.2: frontend for pacman in PyGTK+Pyalpmm

Hello everyone.
Some time ago I released a frontend (announced on official forum of Arch Linux with the original name of paKman) called for pacman Yapg (Yet Another Pacman Gui, in fact) written for KDE>= 3.4 in C + + using Qt libraries. Unfortunately, the interface between pacman and yapg frontend was based on interpretation of pacman's output, a solution which, in addition to being particularly slow, made the frontend unusable according to changes in the output of pacman. The library Alpm was young and not documented. Now, after a period of wandering on other distributions, I returned to use Arch and I took the opportunity to write Yapg 0.2. This release is a complete rewrite of the application maintaining the style oriented to novices, but written in Python using PyGTK libraries and Pyalpmm a warp for python to Alpm very well-done by Markus Meissner; you can find lot of information at project's homepage or in the thread Python+ALPM+Me = pyalpmm a Python High-Level alpm Library.

install.jpg

updates-available.jpg

sortrepos.jpg

Other screenshots are available at the official page of the project.

At the same address you can find both the instructions for installing pyalpmm & yapg and even the binary package to install via pacman.
Also, from download section you can download python's sources of yapg.

Since Yapg 0.2 is currently in beta, I ask anyone who has the desire and patience to try it to communicate any bug, error or suggestion, using the email address listed at the end of the project page or leave a comment on the page itself or on this forum thread.
Thanks to all who want to help me and to those who, although not concerned, have spent time in reading this post. smile

# To err is human, but to really foul things up you need a computer.
Paul Ehrlich
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.brainspace.it

#2 2009-09-08 15:47:20

Zariel

Re: Yet Another Pacman Gui 0.2: frontend for pacman in PyGTK+Pyalpmm

Awesome! I was planning to write a PyAqlm of some sorts, looks good!

#3 2009-09-08 15:52:33

shining
Pacman Developer

Cool to see a graphical frontend to pyalpmm smile

some minor comments :
- The link to pyalpmm is wrong : http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=6071
- I think you misspelled (p)acman in the thread title
- Don't give any instructions how to build pyalpmm or yapg , just create AUR packages and give links

if besides you want to provide binary packages for them, just set up your own repo :
http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Cus … repository

pacman roulette : pacman -S $(pacman -Slq | LANG=C sort -R | head -n $((RANDOM % 10)))

#4 2009-09-08 16:02:25

ilpianista
Fellow developer
Website

packages on AUR: pyalpmm pyalpmm-svn yapg-gtk

EDIT: topic moved

#5 2009-09-08 16:05:41

invernomuto
Website

shining wrote:

Cool to see a graphical frontend to pyalpmm smile

some minor comments :
- The link to pyalpmm is wrong : http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=6071
- I think you misspelled (p)acman in the thread title
- Don't give any instructions how to build pyalpmm or yapg , just create AUR packages and give links

if besides you want to provide binary packages for them, just set up your own repo :
http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Cus … repository

Thank you much for appreciations.
I'm sorry for errors in link and title. Now I fix them sad
I don't provide build instruction because distutils configurations used to build package are not good, may be rewrited with a better form. Anyway an italian user has created 3 PKGBUILDs, you can find it in AUR at this addresses:

Pyalpmm (stable)
Pyalpmm (svn)
Yapg

Next days I spend some time to study how to build my repo.

Paul Ehrlich
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#6 2009-09-08 16:09:23

nTia89
Banned

difference regarding PACMAN parts with PackageKit ???

+pc: custom | AMD Opteron 175 | nForce4 Ultra | 2GB ram DDR400 | nVidia 9800GT 1GB | ArchLinux x86_64 w/ openbox
+laptop: Apple | MacBook (2,1) | 2GB ram | Mac OS X 10.4 -> DIED
+ultrabook: Dell | XPS 13 (9343) | 8GB ram | 256GB ssd | FullHD display | Windows 8.1 64bit ArchLinux x86_64 w/ Gnome

#7 2009-09-08 16:18:38

ilpianista
Fellow developer
Website

invernomuto wrote:

I think this is unnecessary: archers know how to use AUR (I hope) so you can give us a good tarball with sources and we could build your tool with PKGBUILDs.

invernomuto wrote:

Anyway an Italian user has created 3 PKGBUILDs

I am not an "Italian user", I am bash! tongue

#8 2009-09-08 16:21:35

shining
Pacman Developer

invernomuto wrote:

I don't provide build instruction because distutils configurations used to build package are not good, may be rewrited with a better form. Anyway an italian user has created 3 PKGBUILDs, you can find it in AUR at this addresses:

Pyalpmm (stable)
Pyalpmm (svn)
Yapg

Sorry, I did not mean build instructions, but all the install instructions you gave there :
http://www.brainspace.it/?p=213
Just give links to AUR, or link to a pacman repository, and any arch user would know what to do with them smile

pacman roulette : pacman -S $(pacman -Slq | LANG=C sort -R | head -n $((RANDOM % 10)))

#9 2009-09-08 16:22:06

shining
Pacman Developer

nTia89 wrote:

this one seems to work ?

#10 2009-09-08 16:28:59

invernomuto
Website

bash wrote:
invernomuto wrote:

I think this is unnecessary: archers know how to use AUR (I hope) so you can give us a good tarball with sources and we could build your tool with PKGBUILDs.

invernomuto wrote:

Anyway an Italian user has created 3 PKGBUILDs

I am not an "Italian user", I am bash! tongue

excuse bash .. but I advertised for you anyway! wink

Paul Ehrlich

#11 2009-09-08 16:32:27

invernomuto
Website

shining wrote:
invernomuto wrote:

Pyalpmm (stable)
Pyalpmm (svn)
Yapg

Sorry, I did not mean build instructions, but all the install instructions you gave there :
http://www.brainspace.it/?p=213
Just give links to AUR, or link to a pacman repository, and any arch user would know what to do with them smile

I give instruction e pre-builded package to respect yapg philosopy to make all "for dummies" wink
Tomorrow I'll add links to pages in AUR with PKGBILDS writes by an italian us....ehm....BASH! wink

Paul Ehrlich

#12 2009-09-08 17:06:30

DonVla

@invernomuto
pretty cool!
really good work smile

#13 2009-09-08 17:40:47

drf

Hey invernomuto,

Great work. Any chance for you to develop a Qt4 frontend? I am really looking forward to make Shaman depend on KDELibs (which would save me a lot of hassles), but the showstopper is there is no other decent Qt4 frontend out there. Maybe we could cooperate for making the packaging GUI experience in Arch even better smile

#14 2009-09-08 19:57:57

invernomuto
Website

drf wrote:

Hey invernomuto,

Great work. Any chance for you to develop a Qt4 frontend? I am really looking forward to make Shaman depend on KDELibs (which would save me a lot of hassles), but the showstopper is there is no other decent Qt4 frontend out there. Maybe we could cooperate for making the packaging GUI experience in Arch even better smile

Tnak you drf, shining, bash, anto all others.
I hope you will happy to know that yapg is already tinked to be ported on KDE4/Qt4 as soon as I resolved main bugs on Gtk/Gnome version (I love study new platforms, and KDE4 is the next!). Other feature I want implements is to give user ability to select between actual yapg gui and a compact gui similar to synaptic/shaman for "expert" users...both for gnome/kde users.
I hope to find others programmers interestet to this project because I think that Arch linux it's a gread distro for linux lovers and developers, but may blink one eye (sorry is a terrible itanian slang translation wink ) to beginers, and tools aas shaman, jacman (and others tools) and a good installer can bring arch to others user-level distros.

Paul Ehrlich

#15 2009-09-09 08:43:20

nTia89
Banned

shining wrote:
nTia89 wrote:

this one seems to work ?

why not ?

+pc: custom | AMD Opteron 175 | nForce4 Ultra | 2GB ram DDR400 | nVidia 9800GT 1GB | ArchLinux x86_64 w/ openbox
+laptop: Apple | MacBook (2,1) | 2GB ram | Mac OS X 10.4 -> DIED
+ultrabook: Dell | XPS 13 (9343) | 8GB ram | 256GB ssd | FullHD display | Windows 8.1 64bit ArchLinux x86_64 w/ Gnome

#16 2009-09-16 12:44:14

onestep_ua

shining wrote:
nTia89 wrote:

this one seems to work ?

Tell me what's wrong with ALPM backend in PackageKit and I will hopefully fix it. wink

#17 2009-10-04 12:49:01

moimael

It seems that packagekit doesn't list all available package, in add/remove program.

EDIT: After more testing, the issue come from the gpk-application 2.28.0 search system. Try to type rhythmbox or abiworld, you wont have the good entry. But when you search mannually, the files are present.

Last edited by moimael (2009-10-04 14:46:26)

#18 2009-10-04 14:34:15

jarryson

Hope this app can use policykit, seems that will be safer and easier to use.

#19 2010-03-18 17:43:58

kras1001

[xxxx@xxxx ~]$ yapg
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "./yapg.py", line 25, in <module>
    from gtkui.installdialog import InstallDialog
  File "/usr/share/yapg/gtkui/installdialog.py", line 25, in <module>
    from pacman.pacmanmanager import pacman_manager
  File "/usr/share/yapg/pacman/pacmanmanager.py", line 14, in <module>
    from pyalpmm.session import Session
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/pyalpmm/__init__.py", line 4, in <module>
    from pyalpmm.session import Session, System
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/pyalpmm/session.py", line 17, in <module>
    import pyalpmm_raw as p
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/pyalpmm_raw.py", line 25, in <module>
    _pyalpmm_raw = swig_import_helper()
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/pyalpmm_raw.py", line 21, in swig_import_helper
    _mod = imp.load_module('_pyalpmm_raw', fp, pathname, description)
ImportError: /usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/_pyalpmm_raw.so: undefined symbol: alpm_sync_dbtarget
[xxxx@xxxx ~]$

This project look good but...

#20 2010-03-18 18:31:21

Isildur

Although I like pacman as a command line util it looks really great and is definitely a plus for Arch among those who prefer a GUI for updating.

#21 2010-03-20 08:49:58

kras1001

Isildur wrote:

Although I like pacman as a command line util it looks really great and is definitely a plus for Arch among those who prefer a GUI for updating.

I agree with you, but we live in 21st century, and other distro in top 10 in distrowatch have there own GUI Frontends for his packagemanager and ... you know what I mean?
Beginners need GUI, more and more Beginners --> more fans --> more popularity --> more and more developers --> Arch will be The Best Distro!
Sorry for my English.

Last edited by kras1001 (2010-03-20 08:50:35)

#22 2010-03-20 09:23:34

Xyne
Administrator/PM
Website

kras1001 wrote:

Beginners need GUI, more and more Beginners --> more fans --> more popularity --> more and more developers --> Arch will be The Best Distro!

We don't want more and more beginners. Arch is for people who want to understand the system and get their hands dirty. Arch doesn't care about popularity and I hope that it never sells out to get more users.

I'm not against the idea of a pacman gui frontend. I'm just against the idea of hand-holding and sugar-coating to get people to choose a distro that stands for the exact opposite.

My Arch Linux StuffForum EtiquetteCommunity Ethos - Arch is not for everyone

#23 2010-03-20 12:25:04

DonVla

Xyne wrote:
kras1001 wrote:

We don't want more and more beginners. Arch is for people who want to understand the system and get their hands dirty. Arch doesn't care about popularity and I hope that it never sells out to get more users.

proud2beL337!!!

#24 2010-03-20 12:59:49

Xyne
Administrator/PM
Website

DonVla wrote:

proud2beL337!!!

Not sure if you meant that in jest or just sarcastically, but in case of the latter I want to clarify.

Different distros fill different niches and appeal to different people. There are plenty of gui-based point-and-click windows-users-will-love-this distros but Arch isn't one of them, and arguing that some tools should be made that way to attract users who want such tools will only change Arch into something else.

It's like trying to introduce a McDonald's franchise in some country that's famous for its local cuisine by arguing that it will bring more tourists. The tourists that are already there came for the local cuisine and anyone who wants McDonald's can go to any of x other countries. If the locals really want a McDonald's, then they can open one, but don't do it just to attract fat tourists who only look for McDonald's when they travel. You would rather have tourists who visit because they like the country and its culture, not because it's a copy of their own country with some nice beaches thrown in. All the latter will do is be loud and noisy, make a mess, then go somewhere else next year (or stay and demand that everything be changed to be how it is back home).

Last edited by Xyne (2010-03-21 15:27:59)

My Arch Linux StuffForum EtiquetteCommunity Ethos - Arch is not for everyone

#25 2010-03-21 07:41:57

kras1001

I mean Beginners in Archlinux, not Beginners in Linux! Absolutely beginners will choose distro like Ubunto, openSUSE, Mandriva, Fedora...
I know if this people(Beginners in Archlinux) not beginner in Linux will cope with terminal, but GUI is easy?
Package Shaman is good but I like Gnome desktop and will be happy to see good GTK based alternative to Shaman. GtkPacman unfortunately is ugly(for me) and don't have all functionality that Shaman have. Yapg look good but don't work.

Last edited by kras1001 (2010-03-21 07:44:50)

Board footer