You are not logged in.

#1 2009-09-20 01:38:55

Zaephen

[SOLVED] RT Kernel & Nvidia Drivers

I apologize in advance if this questions has already been answered in the forums.  I did search them and read through a lot of posts but couldn't find exactly what I'm looking for.

Today is my second day with the outstanding Arch Linux.  I was able to get it installed and setup with no problems whatsoever.  Today I'm having a little problem.  I have the kernel package "kernel26-2.6.30.6-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.gz" installed along with the "kernel-headers-2.6.30.5-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.gz" package.  I installed the "nvidia-185.18.36-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.gz" package and all is well on the desktop (have OpenGL and everything.  I need a RT kernel for Jack & Ardour audio recording.  I have installed (kernel26rt-2.6.29.5_rt23-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.gz, not sure which repo I got that from but I installed it with "pacman").  When I boot that kernel I get some error about not being able to load the nvidia module.  I expected that as that's what always happens in other distros.  Usually in them I can install the kernel-headers for the RT kernel, reboot and it works then.  I can't find the headers for the RT kernel I installed and I'm not sure if it would help if I did.
I guess my question is this: is there a simple ("pacman -S some-rt-kernel" & "pacman -S some-nvidia-rt-something") I can do that I don't know about or am I going to have to get my hands all dirty with ABS and/or AUR and source installing?
I installed the base system, X, a full Gnome desktop with every bell & whistle you can think of with the greatest of ease with "pacman".  I just find it hard to believe I can get a RT kernel and Nvidia drivers working the same way.
Anyway, thanks for any help.

Zaephen.

Edit:
I thought I should mention, I just went to "http://repos.archaudio.org/testing/i686/" (the place I think I got my RT kernel, just the x86_64 page) and they have a "nvidia-rt-185.18.14-1-i686.pkg.tar.gz" package in the i686 repo.  Doesn't help me on x86_64 though sad.

Last edited by Zaephen (2009-09-28 12:00:34)

#2 2009-09-20 04:00:28

ugkbunb

Re: [SOLVED] RT Kernel & Nvidia Drivers

installing from the aur isnt that hard... I would personally install kernel26-ice -- open up the PKGBUILD when it asks for you to edit... and change the following line:
realtime_patch="0"
to
realtime_patch="1"

Compile and install it... then install nvidia-beta package from the AUR... say yes when it asks you to edit it... and change _kernver=`uname -r` to _kernver=`2.6.31-ice` *that is just a guess on what they named it... but I am pretty sure it is right... you could always just reboot... drop down to console tty1 and install teh package as is without modifying that line -- make sure you also install the nvidia-utils-beta that matches the version of your nvidia package. Use yaourt to search/install from the AUR. That should solve your issues.

EDIT: ohh yah... you will need to edit /boot/grub/menu.lst to boot from your new kernel... below is the relevant portion of my menu.lst... you would just edit it to -ice instead of -bfs

# (3) Newest Kernel PREEMPT-RT
title  BFS KERNEL
root   (hd0,0)
kernel /vmlinuz26-bfs root=/dev/disk/by-uuid/21a15f1f-3639-4281-8856-18c701674e03 ro rootfstype=ext4 #quiet
kernel /vmlinuz26-bfs root=/dev/sda5 ro rootfstype=ext4 quiet #resume=swap:/dev/sda7
initrd /kernel26-bfs.img

# (4) Fallback New
title  BFS KERNEL Fallback
root   (hd0,0)
kernel /vmlinuz26-bfs root=/dev/disk/by-uuid/21a15f1f-3639-4281-8856-18c701674e03 ro rootfstype=ext4 #quiet
kernel /vmlinuz26-bfs root=/dev/sda5 ro rootfstype=ext4 quiet #resume=swap:/dev/sda7
initrd /kernel26-bfs-fallback.img

# (0) Arch Linux
title  Arch Linux
root   (hd0,0)
kernel /vmlinuz26 root=/dev/disk/by-uuid/21a15f1f-3639-4281-8856-18c701674e03 ro rootfstype=ext4 quiet
#kernel /vmlinuz26 root=/dev/sdb5 ro rootfstype=ext4 quiet
initrd /kernel26.img

# (1) Arch Linux
title  Arch Linux Fallback
root   (hd0,0)
kernel /vmlinuz26 root=/dev/disk/by-uuid/21a15f1f-3639-4281-8856-18c701674e03 ro rootfstype=ext4 quiet
#kernel /vmlinuz26 root=/dev/sdb5 ro rootfstype=ext4 quiet
initrd /kernel26-fallback.img

Last edited by ugkbunb (2009-09-20 04:03:12)

#3 2009-09-20 10:12:53

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

Zaephen, there's a problem with the kernel26rt PKGBUILD which prevents nvidia modules from building correctly. I actually sent in a modified PKGBUILD which fixed it, but the package itself still has the old one.

Go to http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=65945 and scroll to the last post on the first page. I've indented the changes which were necessary.

Concerning using kernel26-ice and using the RT option, I'd recommend doing that eventually, but not just now. nvidia compilation for that does not yet work on my laptop, and I don't have the time to apply the patches from the RT mailing list to the nvidia installer yet.

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#4 2009-09-21 11:31:51

Zaephen

A huge thanks to you both!
Taking ugkbunb's advice, I compiled the ice kernel & nvidia-beta.  Worked without any problems and I have a RT kernel big_smile!  My default kernel no longer works with Nvidia but I expected that.  I suppose the easiest way to fix that would be to compile the ice kernel without RT, having a "regular" kernel and a "RT kernel?
Thanks for the help guys.  If I can get a regular kernel working with Nvidia support, great, if not, great.  With your help I got a RT kernel working and that's a must for audio recording.

Zaephen.

#5 2009-09-21 11:57:27

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

Hmm... are you sure you have the RT kernel? Forced preemption? I couldn't build the nvidia drivers on mine.

As for having nvidia drivers for both kernels, its quite simple. Just install nvidia-beta for the main kernel and copy the PKGBUILD (rename the package to nvidia-beta-rt or something like that) and install that on the RT kernel.

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#6 2009-09-21 12:07:08

Zaephen

ngoonee wrote:

Hmm... are you sure you have the RT kernel? Forced preemption? I couldn't build the nvidia drivers on mine.

As for having nvidia drivers for both kernels, its quite simple. Just install nvidia-beta for the main kernel and copy the PKGBUILD (rename the package to nvidia-beta-rt or something like that) and install that on the RT kernel.

Yes I have both the regular Arch kernel and the RT kernel.

This may sound dumb but, can anyone tell me how to distinguish between kernels when I install them like I did the -ice kernel?  I have the ice kernel installed as posted above with the RT patch.  Now I'm going to try and install another -ice kernel only this time I'm not going to have the RT patch applied.  Won't this install over my present -ice kernel if I don't tell it to call it something else?  How can I call it something else?

Zaephen.

#7 2009-09-21 13:47:19

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

Change the package name in the PKGBUILD.

And I'm pretty sure you don't have the RT kernel. I keep a close watch on kernel26-ice, and the current PKGBUILD will NOT give you the RT kernel without your own hackery (which, if you knew to do, would mean you wouldn't be posting here).

As of now, your kernel is an -ice kernel, not an -rt kernel.

#8 2009-09-21 14:41:07

Zaephen

ngoonee wrote:

Change the package name in the PKGBUILD.

And I'm pretty sure you don't have the RT kernel. I keep a close watch on kernel26-ice, and the current PKGBUILD will NOT give you the RT kernel without your own hackery (which, if you knew to do, would mean you wouldn't be posting here).

As of now, your kernel is an -ice kernel, not an -rt kernel.

I did what ugkbunb said to do:
change:
realtime_patch="0"
to
realtime_patch="1"
So that would give me a RT kernel, yes?

Plus, I can start jackd in RT.  Wouldn't that mean I'm running a RT kernel?

Last edited by Zaephen (2009-09-21 14:42:48)

#9 2009-09-21 16:11:59

ugkbunb

Zaephen wrote:

A huge thanks to you both!
Taking ugkbunb's advice, I compiled the ice kernel & nvidia-beta.  Worked without any problems and I have a RT kernel big_smile!  My default kernel no longer works with Nvidia but I expected that.  I suppose the easiest way to fix that would be to compile the ice kernel without RT, having a "regular" kernel and a "RT kernel?
Thanks for the help guys.  If I can get a regular kernel working with Nvidia support, great, if not, great.  With your help I got a RT kernel working and that's a must for audio recording.

Zaephen.

It is easy to get your non-rt kernel to work with nvidia... just download the pkgbuild for nvidia-beta... change the name to so it does not conflict... I usually change the name of the RT drivers to nvidia-beta-rt... but since you already have them installed as nvidia-beta... you could change it to nvidia-beta-vanilla or anything really... then edit the `uname -r` line so that it points to the proper kernel... pretty sure it is 2.6.31-ARCH... if that doesn't work... just boot into your vanilla kernel and build the package from there leaving the `uname -r' line as is but making sure to change the package name so it doesn't conflict. Walla! two drivers installed and the proper one will load with each kernel.

Zaephen wrote:
ngoonee wrote:

Yes I have both the regular Arch kernel and the RT kernel.

This may sound dumb but, can anyone tell me how to distinguish between kernels when I install them like I did the -ice kernel?  I have the ice kernel installed as posted above with the RT patch.  Now I'm going to try and install another -ice kernel only this time I'm not going to have the RT patch applied.  Won't this install over my present -ice kernel if I don't tell it to call it something else?  How can I call it something else?

Zaephen.

Yes it will... you will need to edit the package name and as well dig through your kernel config and edit the LOCAL VERSION variable. Why do you want to have 3 kernels installed though?

Last edited by ugkbunb (2009-09-21 16:14:13)

#10 2009-09-21 16:34:56

Zaephen

ugkbunb wrote:

Yes it will... you will need to edit the package name and as well dig through your kernel config and edit the LOCAL VERSION variable. Why do you want to have 3 kernels installed though?

Actually, I only want two kernels installed.  Probably the regular -ice and then one I built, -ice with RT.
I'm working now but when I get home or tomorrow morning I'll try to build a regular -ice kernel which, I think will work with the nvidia-beta I built for -ice with RT.
One other, hopefully simple question.  I'm editing /boot/grub/menu.lst and telling it which kernel to load.  I assume that's right as pacman doesn't seem to change grub entries when I install a kernel.  Right now I have three kernels (I think) in /boot.  Just working from memory here but I have something like: vmlinuz26.img, vmlinuz26-rt, vmlinuz26-ice as well as something like kernel26.img (not sure about the extention) kernel26-rt and kernel26-ice.  Am I just supposed to deleted the vmlinuz and kernel26 for kernels I no longer want?  Is that the proper way to remove kernels in Arch?  What else is installed by kernels that I need to delete?  The module directory for the kernel?  Something like /lib/module/*kernel name*?
Thanks for the help.

Zaephen.

Last edited by Zaephen (2009-09-21 16:36:59)

#11 2009-09-21 16:47:21

ugkbunb

I would just leave those entries if for whatever reason things go south and you have to reinstall the default kernel... that will make your life easier if problems arise.

You usually have to rebuild the nvidia module for each kernel... most likely the -rt-ice and the -ice are different enough that the nvidia driver will need to be rebuilt for each.

Not sure on your other question... I believe when I uninstalled some kernels they did leave some traces of crap on my computer... the module folder may have been one of those.

Last edited by ugkbunb (2009-09-21 16:48:03)

#12 2009-09-21 16:49:34

Zaephen

ugkbunb wrote:

I would just leave those entries if for whatever reason things go south and you have to reinstall the default kernel... that will make your life easier if problems arise.

You usually have to rebuild the nvidia module for each kernel... most likely the -rt-ice and the -ice are different enough that the nvidia driver will need to be rebuilt for each.

Not sure on your other question... I believe when I uninstalled some kernels they did leave some traces of crap on my computer... the module folder may have been one of those.

Okay... thanks a lot for all your help.  I'll give it a stab when I get home smile.

#13 2009-09-21 23:59:21

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

Zaephen wrote:

I did what ugkbunb said to do:
change:
realtime_patch="0"
to
realtime_patch="1"
So that would give me a RT kernel, yes?

Plus, I can start jackd in RT.  Wouldn't that mean I'm running a RT kernel?

Here's the PKGBUILD's relevant parts:-

*snip*
source=(http://kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v2.6/linux-2.6.31.tar.bz2
    # http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v2.6/patch-2.6.31.1.bz2
    http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/projects/rt/patch-2.6.31-rt11.bz2
*snip*
    # Applying realtime patch
    if [ "$realtime_patch" = "1" ]; then
       echo "Applying real time patch"
       for i in $(ls $startdir/src/patch-2.6.31-rt10); do
              patch -Np1 -i $startdir/src/patch-2.6.31-rt10 || return 1
       done
    fi
*snip*

Note the difference between rt11 and rt10. If you were looking at the initial patch messages, you'd have seen a warning that the patch could not be applied because the file was not found. So no, you do NOT have the RT kernel. You just have the vanilla kernel with some gentoo patches.

This is not something to be blamed on the maintainer, he states upfront that he does not use the RT part, and I'm going to inform him on this. The reason I haven't yet is because I haven't gotten round to actually compiling the RT kernel again since rt11 came out, and I want to try and find a fix for the nvidia problem first (which you will hit if you change the above to rt11 instead).

And jackd can be started in whatever kernel. Its only in the rt kernel that you can really lower the latencies though, in normal kernels you start hitting xruns right away.

Side note and comments:-
1. You don't NEED rt for recording. You need it for real-time. Frankly, if you're doing a one-way recording (play something and record it) you don't need RT. You need RT when you're applying all sorts of filters to a signal but it still needs to playback at the same instant it got into the filter stack. Home recording does not require RT. At most, just set HZ to 1000.
2. When installing stuff from the AUR, its always a good habit to both read the PKGBUILD beforehand and check the output for warnings. It does not seem you have done that, and its possible a package in future will bite you in the ass for it. Same like looking both ways before crossing the street, just get into the habit.

#14 2009-09-22 00:23:57

Zaephen

ngoonee wrote:

So no, you do NOT have the RT kernel. You just have the vanilla kernel with some gentoo patches.

And jackd can be started in whatever kernel. Its only in the rt kernel that you can really lower the latencies though, in normal kernels you start hitting xruns right away.

If you say so... I mean, I've been running Arch for a total of two day.  I certainly am not going to pretend to know much about Arch at this point.  I do know however, that when I've ran qjackctl in the past on other distributions and checked Realtime... if I wasn't running a RT kernel... it failed to start immediately!  It's working fine in Arch with the kernel I "think" is RT.  I recorded about 8 tracks this morning in Ardour with no xruns whatsoever.  Heck I was recording with Firefox running in the background with many tabs open with all kinds of stuff going on in them... no xruns.  Honestly, I couldn't "make" my computer xrun *knock on wood* hope I don't jinx myself.
I'm not pushing to get really low latency or anything... I believe I'm getting 24 or 26... something like that in qjackctl.  I didn't try to take it any lower.  I've ran 64studio several times and got xruns setting it no lower than 60 - 80 something on latency.
Again, I'm sure you know more about Arch and these kernels than I but how can I be doing that when I couldn't even do that with PlanetCCRMA or 64Studio?

Last edited by Zaephen (2009-09-22 00:26:35)

#15 2009-09-22 02:54:15

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

That links back to what I said about not necessarily needing an rt kernel for recording. Keep in mind that 64Studio, at least, uses a VERY old kernel, and newer kernels tend to have more of the latency bugs squashed.

If its working for you, then it doesn't matter whether or not the RT patch actually applied. When you decide to recompile then just check out the messages and see whether what I've said is true. The important thing is that you can do what you wish with the kernel, and if your recording works with no xruns, that's good.

#16 2009-09-22 04:44:32

Zaephen

ngoonee wrote:

That links back to what I said about not necessarily needing an rt kernel for recording. Keep in mind that 64Studio, at least, uses a VERY old kernel, and newer kernels tend to have more of the latency bugs squashed.

If its working for you, then it doesn't matter whether or not the RT patch actually applied. When you decide to recompile then just check out the messages and see whether what I've said is true. The important thing is that you can do what you wish with the kernel, and if your recording works with no xruns, that's good.

Well... I couldn't wait to get home and tinker with this wink.  I built the nvidia-beta package again against the stock kernel 2.6.30-ARCH that was my default kernel.  Rebooted, desktop popped up with no problems.  I decided to push things a bit and opened qjackctl, made sure "RT" was checked and dropped my latency setting down as far as I could go, 4.35 msec.  As I posted earlier... I've never been below 60 to 80 and had xruns then from time to time.  Fired up Ardour and recorded a few tracks.  Made sure to have a bunch of stuff going on in the background.  Zero xruns.  That's right... zero.  This tells me one of a few things... kernel technology has improved "that" much since my last bout with latency or Arch is the leanest, meanest, fastest and best distribution I've ever seen!  Maybe it's a bit of both, I don't know.  I do know for sure that the stock kernel isn't RT or so I've been told and I still couldn't make it "xrun" no matter what I did and that's with 10 tracks playing while I recorded and with a 4.35 msec latency (which from what I've read is a really good latency).
I will shut-up now tongue and enjoy this incredible distribution I've found and worry about RT kernel when I am having xrun problems.  Thank you everyone who plays a part in Arch Linux!

Last edited by Zaephen (2009-09-22 04:46:12)

#17 2009-09-22 05:01:08

ugkbunb

^^
glad everything worked out for you and glad to have you aboard : ) arch is surely the best distro I have tried to date  -- http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=12926

#18 2009-09-22 05:29:36

Zaephen

ugkbunb wrote:

^^
glad everything worked out for you and glad to have you aboard : ) arch is surely the best distro I have tried to date  -- http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=12926

Thank you and everyone else that helped with this.  I did notice that since I built (I'm using yaourt) nvidia-beta again while logged into the default kernel, the -ice kernel won't load the nvidia drivers anymore sad.  Not the end of the world as I posted above, 4.35 msec latency with the default kernel and no xruns is good enough for me wink.  It just "nags" at me when I have something on my machince that doesn't work.

PS,
I hope I don't enrage the admins here but in my haste to get on the boards and start asking questions about this incredible distribution I picked a name on the forum here that I really don't like sad.  Scanning through the forums later I found a topic about not asking the admins to delete/change accounts etc. and I totally understand that.  I've since went back and started a new account *ducking in admin fear* called "Jamie" which is my real name and the account name I want.  I don't know why I didn't try to get it in the first place.  It's a fairly common name and I was just sure someone would already have it.
Anyway, I just wanted to let the powers-that-be know and say I'm sorry if it causes an extra work.  I certainly didn't mean to.  I won't use the "Zaephen" account again and will stick to my "Jamie" account.  Thanks.

Last edited by Zaephen (2009-09-22 05:29:58)

#19 2009-09-22 15:43:27

ugkbunb

Zaephen wrote:

I did notice that since I built (I'm using yaourt) nvidia-beta again while logged into the default kernel, the -ice kernel won't load the nvidia drivers anymore sad.

This is because you only have one nvidia-beta driver installed... when you rebuilt it against the stock kernel it replaced the old driver you had installed because the names are the same. You need to modify the package name line in the pkgbuild so it doesn't conflict... I usually do something like "nvidia-beta-rt" and then of course point it to the proper kernel it needs to build agaisnt (the _kernelver line). You only need 1 nvidia-utils-beta installed... but two nvidia-beta -- one for each kernel. Also -- if the nvidia-utils-beta and the nvidia-beta are ever not the same version then you will be unable to boot into X... so if you update one make sure you update the other as well : )

Zaephen wrote:

PS,
I picked a name on the forum here that I really don't like sad.

lol I did the same thing... but I decided just to keep my handle... it didnt bother me too much. See you on your new handle!

Last edited by ugkbunb (2009-09-22 15:44:02)

#20 2009-09-22 16:57:10

Jamie

Thanks ugkbunb, I'll give that a shot later.  Honestly, I did some tests this morning and with the stock kernel I can't get any xruns.  Now, LOL, don't mistake that for a complaint, but I would think with such a low latency, a "regular" kernel would xrun?!  Go figure.  I did open qjackctl and uncheck RT and tried it that way.  Xruns everywhere... I mean, two or three a second.  Maybe there's something in the newer kernels (2.6.30) that improves xruns that much when RT is on with jack... I don't know.  Rosegarden did complain about not having a high or low (can't remember) timer in the kernel or something but it ran perfect and played tracks for me while I recorded them through jack into Ardour.  Listening to myself I sound like a moron LOL... I'm getting everything I want/need but still complaining.  I just want an explaination of "why" this is working wink.

PS,
Oh, and Arch freaking ROCKS!  For me, thus far, it's Linux perfection... distributionified... err, that's probably not a word wink.  Killer distribution, seriously!

Last edited by Jamie (2009-09-22 17:00:45)

Thanks,
Jamie

archlinux x86_64

#21 2009-09-22 17:14:47

Jamie

LOL... well, I couldn't wait... I'm kind of a "tinkerer".  I tried what you said about changing the package name ugkbunb (I just used nvidia-beta-ice as the "rt" part of ice isn't supposed to be working) and it work worked like a charm.  Now both my default kernel and my -ice kernel have working Nvidia driver.  Some days, it's great to be alive LOL wink.

Last edited by Jamie (2009-09-23 03:26:20)

Thanks,
Jamie

archlinux x86_64

#22 2009-09-22 22:56:05

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

Just to let you know, I've got a patched nvidia-beta for kernel26-ice with RT patchset up. Check out http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=71419

#23 2009-09-23 03:27:04

Jamie

ngoonee wrote:

Just to let you know, I've got a patched nvidia-beta for kernel26-ice with RT patchset up. Check out http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=71419

Thanks ngoonee, I'll give it a shot in a bit wink.

Thanks,
Jamie

archlinux x86_64

#24 2009-09-23 05:07:22

Jamie

Hey ngoonee, I got the PKGBUILD you posted of kernel26-ice with RT installed and nvidia-beta-ice-rt as well.  Now as before, I'm not sure I have a RT kernel.  When I start Rosegarden I get:

"System timer resolution is too low
Rosegarden was unable to find a high-resolution timing source for MIDI performance.
You may be able to solve this problem by loading the RTC timer kernel module. To do this, try running sudo modprobe snd-rtctimer in a terminal window and then restarting Rosegarden.
Alternatively, check whether your Linux distributor provides a multimedia-optimized kernel. See http://rosegarden.wiki.sourceforge.net/ … cy+kernels for notes about this."

Argh.  Everything still works as with the stock kernel but I'm not sure the -ice one I just built is RT.  I did look in the PKGBUILD you posted and the RT patch was "1".  I tried to watch as you recommened in a previous post to see if RT really was enabled but running after kids and getting them to bed, I didn't see anything about it.
Any ideas?

Last edited by Jamie (2009-09-23 05:08:24)

Thanks,
Jamie

archlinux x86_64

#25 2009-09-23 05:26:26

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

When you get my PKGBUILD, go to the lines which look like this:-

# configure kernel    
    if [ "$menuconfig" = "1" ]; then
      make menuconfig
    fi
    yes "" | make config

And change that last 'make config' to 'make xconfig' (or gconfig if you're using gnome).

Run makepkg again (remember to delete the old pkg and src directories if you're re-using the same directories as the last compile. If your RT patch applied correctly you should see the following:-

==> Extracting Sources...
  -> bsdtar -x -f "linux-2.6.31.tar.bz2"
  -> bunzip2 -f "patch-2.6.31-rt11.bz2"
  -> gunzip -d -f "reiser4-for-2.6.30.patch.gz"
  -> bunzip2 -f "current-tuxonice-for-2.6.31.patch-20090911-v1.bz2"
==> Entering fakeroot environment...
==> Starting build()...
Applying real time patch
patching file Documentation/hwlat_detector.txt
patching file Documentation/kernel-parameters.txt
patching file Documentation/trace/events.txt
patching file Documentation/trace/ftrace.txt
patching file Documentation/trace/function-graph-fold.vim
patching file Documentation/trace/histograms.txt
patching file Documentation/trace/ring-buffer-design.txt

As long as the files after applying real-time patch are applying properly with no error, you have the RT kernel. You also have to enable it in the configure. Go to Processor Type>Preemption Mode>Complete Preemption (Real-Time) and set your Timer Frequency to 1000Hz. For more settings you'll want to mess with go to the RT wiki.

Would suggest you read up on compiling your own kernel, especially the config part. Trying to compile the RT kernel, from a PKGBUILD which only includes it on a by-the-way, without knowing what's happening may be dangerous for your health smile.

Board footer