You are not logged in.

#1 2009-10-01 04:58:45

MP2E

gcc-multilib update

Hello, after seeing that the AUR package for gcc-multilib hasn't been updated in quite a while, I took the liberty of updating it myself smile
Here is the tarball with the PKGBUILD file, etc(sorry for the err... dodgy host. I wish I could actually host in a FTP directory or something, but I don't currently have a server)
http://www.mediafire.com/?lzjmht9gfcm

So you can view the PKGBUILD without "commiting" wink
http://pastebin.com/m5b93bdf0

And here's the pre-built package for you people that don't like to compile!
http://www.mediafire.com/?0zvkyybqxq3

To compile, first you need to edit /etc/locale.gen with your favorite text editor(remember to give it root access) to uncomment these 3 lines(remove the # in front of them)

de_DE.UTF-8 UTF-8
de_DE ISO-8859-1
de_DE@euro ISO-8859-15

then type
locale-gen
(or sudo locale-gen)

You also need to compile this package with a multi-lib compatible gcc. Either use the package I uploaded, or you can use the old 4.4.0 package in the AUR that the author kindly provided to compile.

"What's different in this VS. the AUR installation?"
1. GCC was updated to 4.4.1
2. glibc-2.10.1-3 was updated to glibc-2.10.1-4
3. MD5sums were updated
4. I removed the libstdc++ doxygen pages because there were none for the 4.4.1 version and it just caused issues. Most users don't care about those pages anyway(if you want these back I will readd, just get enough people to post here to ask to change)
5. I made the PKGBUILD only download and compile support for the C and C++ compilers. In my opinion, those are the "basic" uses for GCC and since Arch is a "give less unless the user specifies for more" type of operating system, I've put it up to the user to add these in. Here's the easy way to do it :

Change this line
replaces=('gcc' 'lib32-glibc' 'lib32-gcc' 'lib32-gcc-libs')
to this
replaces=('gcc-fortran' 'gcc-objc' 'gcc' 'lib32-glibc' 'lib32-gcc' 'lib32-gcc-libs')

Change this line
source=(ftp://gcc.gnu.org/pub/gcc/releases/gcc-${pkgver}/gcc-{core,g++}-${pkgver}.tar.bz2
to this
source=(ftp://gcc.gnu.org/pub/gcc/releases/gcc-${pkgver}/gcc-{core,g++,fortran,objc,java}-${pkgver}.tar.bz2

And lastly change this line
      --enable-languages=c,c++ \
to this
      --enable-languages=c,c++,fortran,objc,obj-c++ \\

If you want support for those languages added back in as the default, again, if enough people say so here I will do it. This is my first PKGBUILD(don't worry I tested this heavily on my own machine! It does work!), so I'm new to this whole thing smile

Lastly, I didn't update the patches. They patch perfectly fine to the new sources, except 3 lines in the sparc/linux.h file. Since this package is only for x86_64 users in the first place, I figured no one would care if I didn't fix the patch.

I'll update this PKGBUILD again if general consensus is to change it in some way, there is a bug, or if a new version of GCC comes out. tongue

Last edited by MP2E (2009-10-01 05:01:53)

17:23 < ConSiGno> yeah baby I release the source code with your mom every night
17:24 < ConSiGno> you could call them nightly builds if you know what I mean

#2 2009-10-16 10:45:42

kmaglione

Re: gcc-multilib update

Thanks for the package. I have a few problems, though. First, it seems to depend on cloog-ppl, which it doesn't list, and not on texinfo, which it does (and which is evil). Second, you might want to do a multi-package build for Obj-C, Fortran, and maybe even Java. In fact, it might be easier to do a multi-package build with one for each package this replaces, which should at least make bootstrapping a bit easier.

#3 2009-10-17 06:25:46

MP2E

kmaglione wrote:

Thanks for the package. I have a few problems, though. First, it seems to depend on cloog-ppl, which it doesn't list, and not on texinfo, which it does (and which is evil). Second, you might want to do a multi-package build for Obj-C, Fortran, and maybe even Java. In fact, it might be easier to do a multi-package build with one for each package this replaces, which should at least make bootstrapping a bit easier.

Thanks for the reply, see it's replies like this I was looking for tongue I'll be sure to fix up the patch with the correct dependencies. However, I'm not sure what you mean by multi-package build. Do you mean just readd all the packages for the GNU Compiler Collection back in, like it was originally? Or do you mean make several different PKGBUILDs all handling different aspects. Or something differently entirely?(Sorry, I'm new to this)

17:23 < ConSiGno> yeah baby I release the source code with your mom every night
17:24 < ConSiGno> you could call them nightly builds if you know what I mean

#4 2010-02-06 17:44:36

kmaglione

MP2E wrote:

Thanks for the reply, see it's replies like this I was looking for tongue I'll be sure to fix up the patch with the correct dependencies. However, I'm not sure what you mean by multi-package build. Do you mean just readd all the packages for the GNU Compiler Collection back in, like it was originally? Or do you mean make several different PKGBUILDs all handling different aspects. Or something differently entirely?(Sorry, I'm new to this)

Sorry, I didn't have email notifications enabled. It's possible to create multiple individual packages from a single packagebuild by providing several package_*() functions. There's a section in the PKGBUILD(5) man page that describes the process. The overall build process would be the same, but you would wind up with several .pkg.tar.gz files, i.e., gcc-multilib, gcc-multilib-gcj, lib32-glibc-multilib, lib32-gcc-multilib.

#5 2010-02-07 11:53:14

Snowman
Developer/Forum Fellow

FYI: AUR doesn't support multi-package.

#6 2010-05-10 19:54:17

Marenz

Snowman wrote:

FYI: AUR doesn't support multi-package.

Yea I notice that too, hence the stupid dummy package. (at http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=28545 )
But that all changed now. I create a small repository for multilib related packages. You can access it by adding this to your pacman.conf:

[multilib]
Server = http://supraverse.net/arch

For some reason, the multilib versions of the packages conflict with files of the ones they should replace, as if my provides/replaces fields are being ignored. Probably just a small mistake, so if someone knows how to fix it, please go ahead.

To get multilib gcc, you have to install gcc-multilib and lib32-gcc-libs (I forgot the later earlier, just added an old version, will put up a recent version soon) and if you get errors, remove the packages of the conflicting packages.

--Marenz

Last edited by Marenz (2010-05-10 20:17:34)

Board footer