You are not logged in.

#1 2009-10-12 03:25:09

Fwirt

[SOLVED] Screen turns off on boot at "Loading ACPI Modules"

So, I have been using arch for some time and am really liking it so far.  It has replaced Windows on my desktop and am planning to install it on my laptop when I get a chance.  I showed my parents some audio apps that run under Linux, and they suddenly wanted arch too! big_smile  I decided to install arch on their desktop, so after migrating Windows to a larger hard drive, I installed arch onto the remaining space...  Everything seemed fine until I tried to boot into the new system.  Once it reaches "Loading ACPI Modules" the screen turns off and refuses to turn back on.  I have tried everything I could think of (booting into the LiveCD again and running pacman -Syu on the new install, swapping the monitor to a different video port, reinstalling arch) and some solutions I found on the forums (adding acpi=off, noapic, nolapic_sound to the boot line.)  The latter made the boot skip ACPI, but the the screen blanks on "Waiting for udev events to be processed"!  I'm thinking it might be something to do with the video card (an old Radeon X1300 AGP) but I don't know what to do to fix it...  The system doesn't lock up, as even after it blanks I can log in and push Ctrl-G to make a terminal beep!  I've tried everything I can think of...  If this doesn't work I'll probably try another distro on that machine.  The system is:

Intel D845WN Motherboard
1GB PC133 RAM
2.2Ghz Celeron Processor
Radeon X1300 AGP card
Sound Blaster Audigy PCI card
USB 2.0 PCI Card
PCI NIC

Thanks in advance for any advice!

EDIT:  Actually, I think it does lock up, as I don't have to hold down the power button to turn it off after the screen blanks.

EDIT AGAIN: Thanks, adding "radeon.setmode=0" worked like a charm!  I knew that card was a bit wacky, but I didn't think it would stop the system from booting...

Last edited by Fwirt (2009-10-12 23:24:27)

#2 2009-10-12 09:48:01

indridi

Re: [SOLVED] Screen turns off on boot at "Loading ACPI Modules"

Hello

this is probably the same issue as in http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?pid=634867

I'm having it to on a thinkpad R40, with a radeon mobility graphics card, it appeared after an upgrade, where the kernel was upgraded to 2.6.31 (although xorg might have bee upgraded as well)

Greetings
Indriði

#3 2009-10-12 10:25:16

indridi

Re: [SOLVED] Screen turns off on boot at "Loading ACPI Modules"

ok, seems it's the  automatic kernel mode setting (KMS) that causes this see:
http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/ATI … _.28KMS.29

to get the system to boot, go into the grub menu, edit the boot option (i.e. press 'e') then edit the line that looks like
kernel /vmlinuz26 root=...
and add
radeon.modeset=0
at the end of it. Then your system should start fine. Now add this to the corresponding line in /boot/grub/menu.lst

greetings
Indriði

Board footer