You are not logged in.

#1 2009-11-03 20:44:01

tilman

Can´t enable Compositing with OpenGL in KDE [solved]

I have a problem with KDE: I won´t let me enable OpenGL for compositing, only XRender works. The only error message I get is from KDE itself, and says, that it is not able to activate the selected settings. Disabling the "is working" check does not help.

I have a Nvidia 7600 GPU using the latest kernel and drivers (as far as included in arch [testing]).

What I already tried:
- I don´t think that this is a permissions-problem, root can´t use OpenGL either. Another new user also brought no results.

- Extrem Tuxracer works, with all details enabled at 1280×1024 I still get a reasonable frame rate.

- Creating a new xorg.conf with nvidia-xconfig did not help.

So does anybody have any idea, about how to solve the problem? Or at least how to track it down? Where can I get real error messages?

Thanks for any hints!!!

Last edited by tilman (2009-11-04 09:49:46)

#2 2009-11-03 22:12:54

Ranguvar

Re: Can´t enable Compositing with OpenGL in KDE [solved]

You might want to try running Compiz with KDE and seeing if that works -- even if not a long-term solution, just to help debug.

#3 2009-11-04 02:36:01

mutlu_inek

Try opening Systemsettings --> Desktop and then restoring the default settings by clicking the button on the lower left of the window. Close and reopen Systemsettings and try activating it again.

#4 2009-11-04 09:55:36

tilman

Using compiz I finally got the error message helping me to solve the problem.

Compiz was not able to draw a window decoration, and I got an Error: "Warn: No GLXFBConfig for depth 32".

With nvidia-xconfig --add-argb-glx-visuals -d 24 I updated my xorg.conf, and now window decorations in compiz work, but even better: KDE is now able to use OpenGL again!

So Thank You very much for your help!!!

Board footer