You are not logged in.

#1 2009-11-23 05:32:53

Aaron 'Я' God

xmonad keyboard layout

Hoy there, gang.

I have been scouring the internet for a solution, but the term "xmonad keyboard layout" just gives me loads of information about hot keys.

I just want to change my key map back to programmer Dvorak. My terminal outside of Xmonad is still Dvorak (actually, bonus points for who ever tells me how to make that in to programmer Dvorak), but since installing Xmonad, my Xserver key map has changed back to Qwerty, and I can not find the simple solution (I imagine that it is a change in the xmonad.hs file?).

#2 2009-11-23 08:20:42

chpln

Re: xmonad keyboard layout

Aaron 'Я' God wrote:

I just want to change my key map back to programmer Dvorak. My terminal outside of Xmonad is still Dvorak (actually, bonus points for who ever tells me how to make that in to programmer Dvorak), but since installing Xmonad, my Xserver key map has changed back to Qwerty, and I can not find the simple solution (I imagine that it is a change in the xmonad.hs file?).

Perhaps you were using gconf or similar to set it before?  Anyway, it has nothing to do with xmonad.  You need to set keyboard variant to "dvp".

If you're using hal, you'll need to add something like this to the keymap file (e.g., '/etc/hal/fdi/policy/10-keymap.fdi'. See http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Xor … otplugging):

<merge key="input.xkb.variant" type="string">dvp</merge>

then restart hal + X.

Or, if you use xorg.conf, add:

Option "XkbLayout" "dvp"

to the corresponding "InputDevice" section.

As far as I can tell, a keymap has not been defined for the console.  It should not be difficult to find / create one, throw it in with the rest (/usr/share/kbd/keymaps/i386/dvorak) and set KEYMAP in /etc/rc.conf accordingly.  I've done this for a slightly modified dvorak layout.

Last edited by chpln (2009-11-23 08:32:56)

Board footer