You are not logged in.

#1 2009-11-24 22:28:30

kaivalagi

Conky Python Scripts in AUR

Conky Python Scripts in AUR

Users of conky may have come across my conky python scripts already, which were posted about and supported through the ubuntuforums, with nice ppa packages for debian based distro users.

However, now that I have moved away from Ubuntu and am enjoying the Arch experience very much, I have begun supporting my scripts via the AUR. The scripts install using simple PKGBUILDs which pull the source code down from launchpad (the canonical source control and ubuntu package site) using bazaar branching and build/install the contents. I "lifted" the PKGBUILD process from existing AUR processes I found in place for a couple of my scripts in the AUR.

For now useful details on the scripts can be found on the ubuntuforums starting here: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=969521

And anyone who is interested in installing them in Arch should know of the AUR package names currently available that will be supported by myself, they can all be found by going here: http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?SeB=m&K=kaivalagi. There are alternative packages available in the AUR which users have created, which I appreciate, but these shouldn't be confused with the ones I have created and will support.

I've listed them below, note the name is always like "conkyscriptname-bzr":

conkybanshee-bzr - Provides Banshee info
    conkydeluge-bzr - Provides Deluge info    
    conkyemail-bzr - Provides Email info    
    conkyexaile-bzr - Provides Exaile info    
    conkyforecast-bzr - Provides weather forecast info sourced from the weather.com XOAP service    
    conkygooglecalendar-bzr - Provides Google calendar info    
    conkygooglereader-bzr - Provides Google reader info    
    conkypidgin-bzr - Provides Pidgin buddy info    
    conkyrhythmbox-bzr - Provides Rhythmbox info    
    conkytext-bzr - Provides text file based info    

Something Else...
Also of interest might be the following app packages, take a look at the pdf guide which comes with it which will be detailed at the end of the install process:

gtk-desktop-info-bzr - Provides webkit based transparent gtk windows on the desktop to display various information through plugins    
    gtk-desktop-info-data-bzr - Provides images and locale files which the gtk-desktop-info-bzr package is dependant on.

I haven't tried using the app in Arch myself yet so it will be great if it works, but if not please be patient as I will get around to it - there is lots to get busy with in Arch as you all know smile

Known Issues
There are known issues with the conkyforecast-bzr package installing fonts in the wrong place (thanks to discrepancies between Arch and Ubuntu font install locations) which I haven't figured out how to resolve to still support both distros yet. There is also an issue with conkygooglecalendar-bzr as it doesn't seem to authenticate with google successfully at the moment (maybe just down to me, I just tested very quickly....I had a lot of scripts to get through)

Enjoy, if you have any questions just post and I'll do my best to answer them

Last edited by kaivalagi (2010-01-20 19:54:21)

Running Arch 64 (Made the switch to Arch 10/2009)
AUR | BZR

#2 2009-11-24 23:32:50

knedlyk
Website

Re: Conky Python Scripts in AUR

Wow, nice work!

#3 2009-11-25 00:38:05

opothehippo

Thanks a lot.

I remember back when I used ubuntu how useful these packages were. I havn't used conky much since moving to arch but I might start again.

Arch x86_64 | XMonad

#4 2009-11-25 16:56:12

Army

Hey dude, thanks a lot for these packages, I'll definitely try them out!

#5 2009-11-25 18:39:18

kaivalagi

opothehippo wrote:

Thanks a lot.

I remember back when I used ubuntu how useful these packages were. I havn't used conky much since moving to arch but I might start again.

I haven't used conky either, I only managed to compile conky with lua and cairo support but still haven't gotten around to getting creative smile

AUR | BZR

#6 2009-11-28 12:16:04

.:B:.
Forum Fellow
Website

Cool to see you making AUR packages out of your stuff! Welcome to the community smile.

Got Leenucks? :: Arch: Power in simplicity :: Get Counted! Registered Linux User #392717 :: Blog thingy

#7 2009-11-28 12:53:30

kaivalagi

B wrote:

Cool to see you making AUR packages out of your stuff! Welcome to the community smile.

Thanks, glad to be here smile

Last edited by kaivalagi (2010-01-20 19:54:53)

AUR | BZR

Board footer