You are not logged in.

#1 2009-11-25 23:44:48

Renan Birck
Website

[SOLVED!] On USB drives, problems with non-English chars and HAL

Hello,

I am having a problem with non-English caracters (áãàçéẽê...) on files stored on my USB drive.

On Windows they're created with the correct name. But on Linux the files have the non-English characteres replaced by '?' and are not accessible.

If I manuallly mount the drives using 'mount -o iocharset=utf8 /dev/sdb1 /media/usbdisk' the characters are OK, so I think I just need to get HAL to pass the correct parameters to mount. However I don't know how to do that, and haven't found any good solution.

I tried to build a custom kernel setting the default charset as UTF-8 and it didn't work.

Any ideas? I'm using x86-64, HAL 0.5.13-3 and my locale is pt-BR.UTF-8.

Thanks!

EDIT: Actually, this is not a HAL problem, but a problem with 'exo'. For the solution, I edited /etc/xdg/xfce4/mount.rc and added iocharset=utf8 to the [vfat] category.

Last edited by Renan Birck (2009-11-28 20:54:23)

#2 2009-11-26 10:43:13

berbae

Re: [SOLVED!] On USB drives, problems with non-English chars and HAL

How do you automount your drive ?

#3 2009-11-26 13:24:16

Renan Birck
Website

HAL + Thunar (thunar --daemon in .xinitrc).

#4 2009-11-26 15:29:20

berbae

I don't use Thunar presently, but I looked in the Thunar Volume Manager doc and I didn't find anything to change the mount options of removable drives. I am not quite sure if it's possible or not. Maybe someone using it can tell for sure.
But if it is not possible to change the mount options, a possible solution is to disable the Thunar Volume Manager plugin and to use something else more configurable to manage the automount function.
Personally I use the halevt package from AUR which uses configuration files in the xml format.
It's not so easy to use but is highly configurable.
But there exists other tools also.
I can help you with halevt if you choose that way...

Board footer