You are not logged in.

#1 2009-12-29 16:46:55

leetstalker

[SOLVED] problems with wireless on Notebook

Emachienes NoteBook, AKA Aspire One, runnig with standard arch kernel.

K, i used the wireless to install and as my general connection for a long time. And it still works excpet when i start doing VOIP with skype. My connection was dying everytime i connected to skype. I thought i had it fixed by turning on my card.

ifconfig wlan0 on

But then after awhile i lost the connection just like i was instantly when i didnt turn it on with ifconfig, Although i can talk for a few minutes 2 to 8 etc.. its pretty random. The weird part is i can't iwlist scan after it dies. It says no results. And dhlient doesnt work either.

Usually after waiting awhile i can get another connection. By then iwlist works too, but i have to wait like 3 or 4 minutes. I just use the standard command below.

iwconfig wlan0 esssid belkin69

dhclient

Any ideas?

Last edited by leetstalker (2009-12-30 15:08:35)

#2 2009-12-29 16:52:26

Cyrusm

Re: [SOLVED] problems with wireless on Notebook

what driver are you using for your wireless chipset?

Hofstadter's Law:
           It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's Law.

#3 2009-12-29 17:02:54

leetstalker

wireless card - atheros Ar9285
driver  - ath5k

Last edited by leetstalker (2009-12-29 19:36:16)

#4 2009-12-30 00:09:35

munkyeetr

leetstalker wrote:

wireless card - atheros Ar9285
driver  - ath5k

I believe you want to be using the ath9k kernel module; it's included with the recent kernel

If the advice you're given in this forum solves your issue, please mark the post as [SOLVED] in consideration to others.

"More than any time in history mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness, the other to total extinction.
Let us pray that we have the wisdom to choose correctly." -- Woody Allen

#5 2009-12-30 08:35:12

leetstalker

I tried loading that one(ath9k) but it was the same result.(i just changed my rc.conf modules section from at5k to ath9k and restarted). I checked it was laoded with airmon-ng, and it confirmed it was loaded.

It happened when makepkg -s was trying to download some stuff too. So its not just skype. Although, web browser internet use, and pacman seem to work fine. I'm gonna try ath9k again i think, and running the aspire-one-dev kernel. But makepkg keeps bitching about the .patch file not passing a validity check.

AUR PAGE HERE: http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=22794

2.6.32-sched-bfs-311.patch ... FAILED <--- makes sense cause it doesnt exist, the link was dead so the file was a 404 lol

ERROR: One or more files did not pass the validity check!

I changed PKGBUILD to use the .patch from here http://ck.kolivas.org/patches/bfs/, and picked the 2.6.32-sched-bfs-313.patch . Downloaded the file making sure it was the real file etc.. But now im getting the same error. Is it the wrong file or am i missing something. I tried just deleting the md5 checksum line from PKGBUILD but that just gave its own error. How do i shut makepkg up?

When i changed PKGBUILD i changed a line that was the URL for the download to match the new files URL. And then i changed a line that was ../oldpatchfilename       to the new filename. Didnt see any other entries to change. I'm guessing 313 is a new version over 311. If its not and the link for the file i need is just down. That would explain a lot. I've let makepkg download the new patch and it still doesnt pass the validity check.

EDIT: tried making my own checksum to add to the list with sha1sum but its too big.

ERROR: Intergrity checks differ in size from the source array.

I'm having a hard time concentrating. I'm not sure i can even use my computer much longer, im trying to quit caffeine/coffee, its not going so well.

Last edited by leetstalker (2009-12-30 10:17:22)

#6 2009-12-30 10:22:55

hokasch

ath9k is a mess with new atheros cards, still not sure if it got better with the new kernel. keep an eye on this thread: http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=81930

Last edited by hokasch (2009-12-30 10:23:17)

#7 2009-12-30 15:01:48

leetstalker

Excellent, someone solved there problem with the same card as me! They used ndiswrapper and this windows driver

http://www.nodevice.com/driver/AR9285/get64221.html

I think it may have worked for me too, i just had a dropped call. But i was able to reconnect right away. There was no daed period. I'll keep testing but this seems like a good fix for the AR9285. Thanx for the help guys. Read link above this for more help with wireless atheros cards.

If you got the same card, just install ndiswrapper and configure it to use the driver i linked above. Arch Wiki has all the info you'll need.

EDIT: yeah im calling this one solved. thanx for that tread link hokasch. Took a couple tries but i got it working. SOLVED.

Last edited by leetstalker (2009-12-30 15:08:06)

Board footer