You are not logged in.

#1 2010-01-22 18:14:26

Intrepidus

No mouse/keyboard in Xorg

I have just tried to follow http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Xorg, but was unable to get my mouse/keyboard to work.

I have installed xf86-input-evdev as well as -mouse and -keyboard.

I ran Xorg -configure, moved the file to /etc/X11/xorg.conf, and ran startx. I get the 3 terminal windows and the clock, but I cannot use my mouse or keyboard.

HAL is running.

I tried adding "AllowMouseOpenFail" "True" and "AutoAddDevices" "False" to ServerFlags, but that did not change anything either.

I also tried setting "AllowEmptyInput" to false, since that seemed (from the xorg log) like it was the issue.

Xorg Log: http://dpaste.com/149110/

Xorg Conf: http://dpaste.com/149117/

Computer is a Lenovo T400 if that helps (looked at the wiki for that, too - says keyboard and mouse just work.)

#2 2010-01-22 18:24:04

noahsark1126

Re: No mouse/keyboard in Xorg

First thing to check is if HAL is installed and running.  If it's not, install it, start the daemon, and put it in /etc/rc.conf.

If it is, try removing all references to any kind of input device from your xorg.conf.  That means get rid of anything in ServerLayout, and completely remove the ServerFlags and InputDevice sections.  They should not be necessary.  You also only need the evdev driver.  The mouse and keybroad drivers are deprecated.

If that doesn't work, try starting X without any xorg.conf at all.  That will at least give us something to debug.  And many people can in fact run without any xorg.conf on a regular basis, especially with Intel graphics as you have.

If that doesn't work, we need more info on your hardware.  In particular, please post the contents of /proc/bus/input/devices.

#3 2010-01-22 20:29:10

Intrepidus

HAL is installed and running.

I removed all references to input devices from xorg.conf, removed the -mouse and -keyboard drivers, leaving only evdev. I tried to start X after this, but had the same issue.

I tried removing xorg.conf per your instructions and running X without a config. file. Exactly the same thing happened - I was able to see 3 terminal windows, but had no mouse or keyboard.

The contents of /proc/bus/input/devices are here: http://dpaste.com/149182/

#4 2010-01-22 22:53:58

noahsark1126

I admit that is very strange.  Also I realized you said in your first post that HAL was installed, sorry for not seeing that.

Does your touchpad work?  We could be looking at entirely different things depending on if ALL input devices or broken or just these 2 in particular.  If you have another mouse/keyboard around, it wouldn't hurt to plug those in temporarily and see if they work.

Also, could you post your xorg log without any conf file.  There might be something useful in there now that HAL is controlling the devices.

I can't think of much else.  Maybe modules...do you have modules autoloading? (setting in rc.conf, autoload is the default).  When in X the evdev module should be loaded, but I suppose since you can't type it would be hard to find that out.

#5 2010-01-23 14:40:38

narcin

I've exacty the same situation like Intrepidus. My laptop is Dell XPS M1530. Please help us.

#6 2010-01-23 17:15:39

toad
Website

I had the same issue with a laptop last night! My problem was a wrong video driver. I had the radeonhd installed but needed the xf86-video-ati one. After that Xorg -configure followed by cp /root/xorg.conf.new /etc/X11/xorg.conf did the trick.

Now to configure openbox...

never trust a toad...
::Grateful ArchDonor::
::Grateful Wikipedia Donor::

#7 2010-01-23 20:13:06

toad
Website

Hey, you also installed xf86-input-synaptics?

never trust a toad...
::Grateful ArchDonor::
::Grateful Wikipedia Donor::

#8 2010-01-23 20:17:17

tankmcp

Common problem, please read the wiki, esp about hotplugging as here http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Beg … otplugging

#9 2010-01-23 20:25:08

Cows

I had the same exact problem, I believe the problem was that I installed the xf86-input-keyboard and xf86-input-mouse drivers when I didn't need them. You only need to install the following xorg, xf86-input-evdev, and hal. You also need dbus but I believe xorg installs that for you and also hal takes care of starting that daemon, and of course your video driver.

First remove the keyboard/mouse drivers:

pacman -Rd xf86-input-keyboard xf86-input-mouse

Then reinstalling the evdev driver like this:

pacman -S xf86-input-evdev

you might get a error since that's what I had as well. If you do get a error, force it to reinstall like this

pacman -Sf xf86-input-evdev

Restart. If that doesn't work, try forcing a reinstall on hal like this:

pacman -Sf hal

and configure xorg once again as root:

X -configure
cp /root/xorg.conf.new /etc/X11.xorg.conf

Then start or restart hal like this:

/etc/rc.d/hal start

OR

/etc/rc.d/hal restart

Let us know what happens.

Last edited by Cows (2010-01-23 20:26:38)

#10 2010-01-24 11:02:18

narcin

Thank you so much Cows. Now it works perfect, but I don't understand why. Thank you again.

#11 2010-01-24 12:16:46

Sia
Website

narcin wrote:

but I don't understand why.

If you run a Hal, you don't have to use xorg.conf. i mean it work's without it.
Read
http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Xor … otplugging
and
http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Beg … otplugging
to understand what is going on ?
smile

#12 2010-01-26 07:30:51

Cows

No problem Narcin. I don't think his problem was hal. I think his problem was that his evdev driver wasn't working. For some reason which I don't know, if you install evdev and then mouse/keyboard, evdev would be disabled?

#13 2010-01-26 15:41:26

Intrepidus

Cows wrote:

I had the same exact problem, I believe the problem was that I installed the xf86-input-keyboard and xf86-input-mouse drivers when I didn't need them. You only need to install the following xorg, xf86-input-evdev, and hal. You also need dbus but I believe xorg installs that for you and also hal takes care of starting that daemon, and of course your video driver.

First remove the keyboard/mouse drivers:

pacman -Rd xf86-input-keyboard xf86-input-mouse

Then reinstalling the evdev driver like this:

This was apparently what got me - removing keyboard/mouse without specifying -d. After reinstalling them, removing them with -d, and reconfiguring Xorg, I achieved success! Thanks everyone who helped.

Board footer