You are not logged in.

#1 2010-01-28 00:18:14

elifarley
Website

Suitability of Arch as a basis to OSE-specific Linux Build

The guys at Open Source Ecology are considering the creation of a custom Linux distro to suit their needs:

Any thoughts on how easier it would be to use ArchLinux instead of Ubuntu or Fedora as a starting point?

From http://openfarmtech.org/index.php/OSE_Linux_Build :

This build would contain:
Prenstallation of all mission-critical software:
Blender
QCad - CAD, Architecture purposes
Kdenlive
Linux CNC (this would require a dual boot installation where back versions of Linux are installed. For example, LinuxCNC works on Ubuntu 8.04 LTS, but not on Ubuntu 9.10. Whatever distribution of Linux is chosen, we need to make sure that LinuxCNC, one of the critical components of CNC machining - is accommodated
Arduino Environment for programming the Arduino microcontroller
Stereolithography file viewer
Preinstalled libraries and Other Design Libraries
QCad libraries for design files, house designs, other purposes
Library of Pattern Language Icons for symbolic modeling of integrated agroecotechnological systems.

Last edited by elifarley (2010-01-28 00:19:55)

#2 2010-01-28 05:58:21

joaca_rj

Re: Suitability of Arch as a basis to OSE-specific Linux Build

WOW! very nice! gonna keep an eye on it, I'm very interested in agroecology, bio-construction and FOSS!
well, I think you must check the dependencies of the core softs, specially their versions...
Since Arch follows rolling-release, only the latest stable versions of packages are in the repos (with some exceptions...). That can be good or bad, if the program have an active development, it's probably built with the most recent versions of libraries... and so it's easy to build them. If it's not so active, then maybe u have to patch sources, etc... but with ABS and AUR, it's not hard to install different versions of libraries, and also it's easy to build new packages from source and keep them up-to-date ( with the newest features, that sometimes is very nice in open-source, as programs evolve sometimes very fast). So, what I mean is that Arch is very flexible, and very simple to adapt and tweak. I would recommend it. ( I haven't seen informations about these apps you mentioned, sorry...I'll do as soon as I can.)

edit: some errors, poor english, u know....

Last edited by joaca_rj (2010-01-28 05:59:21)

#3 2010-01-28 08:34:47

scj

One can only assume that they would provide their own binary repos, so the issue with arch's rolling release should be moot.

#4 2010-01-29 17:18:42

elifarley
Website

Just found this at the Emc Knowledge Base page:

EMC2 on [ArchLinux] build and installation including the RTAI kernel patches Arch-HOWTO. Arch is a lightweight and flexible Linux® distribution that tries to Keep It Simple. The Arch focus on simplicity and economy for developers means, among other things, that the main effort in assisting the user is not expended in crafting GUI configuration tools — the package manager, for example, does not have an official graphical front-end — but making well-annotated configuration files and extensive use of shell scripts. This has earned it a reputation as a distribution for intermediate and advanced Linux users who aren't afraid of the command line.

Board footer