You are not logged in.

#1 2010-02-23 10:50:29

Bart6114

[SOLVED] CUPS problem; can't add printer

Hello,

After a while of not using my printer I reconnected it printer today but found it didn't work with my CUPS config anymore..
I followed http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/CUP … CUPS_1.4.x, but to no avail.

I have a Samsung ML-1640.

When I goto http://localhost:631/admin and try to 'Add printer' I enter the correct user/pass but end up with a 'can't find page' error.
When using system-config-printer and pressing 'Add printer' nothing happens, but in the background the below traceback is shown.

I tried changing the default system group, for if the rootaccount would be locked (how to check if it's locked?) and assigned a user to it. But again, the same results.
Finally I completely removed cups, including config files and reinstalled, again to no avail.

Does anyone have an idea?
Thanks a lot!

Traceback

[bart@myhost ~]$ system-config-printer
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/share/system-config-printer/system-config-printer.py", line 3455, in on_new_printer_activate
    self.newPrinterGUI.init("printer")
  File "/usr/share/system-config-printer/system-config-printer.py", line 3890, in init
    self.fillDeviceTab()
  File "/usr/share/system-config-printer/system-config-printer.py", line 5154, in fillDeviceTab
    self.fetchDevices (network=False, current_uri=current_uri)
  File "/usr/share/system-config-printer/system-config-printer.py", line 4751, in fetchDevices
    error_handler=error_handler)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/cupshelpers/cupshelpers.py", line 580, in getDevices
    return op.call (connection, kw)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/cupshelpers/cupshelpers.py", line 552, in call
    return connection.getDevices (**kwds)
  File "/usr/share/system-config-printer/asyncconn.py", line 142, in <lambda>
    return lambda *args, **kwds: fn (*args, **kwds)
  File "/usr/share/system-config-printer/asyncpk1.py", line 330, in getDevices
    self._conn.getDevices, args, kwds)
  File "/usr/share/system-config-printer/asyncpk0.py", line 135, in _call_with_pk
    asyncmethodcall.call ()
  File "/usr/share/system-config-printer/asyncpk1.py", line 72, in call
    object = self._bus.get_object(CUPS_PK_NAME, CUPS_PK_PATH)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/dbus/bus.py", line 244, in get_object
    follow_name_owner_changes=follow_name_owner_changes)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/dbus/proxies.py", line 241, in __init__
    self._named_service = conn.activate_name_owner(bus_name)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/dbus/bus.py", line 183, in activate_name_owner
    self.start_service_by_name(bus_name)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/dbus/bus.py", line 281, in start_service_by_name
    'su', (bus_name, flags)))
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/dbus/connection.py", line 622, in call_blocking
    message, timeout)
dbus.exceptions.DBusException: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name org.opensuse.CupsPkHelper.Mechanism was not provided by any .service files

Last edited by Bart6114 (2010-02-23 11:14:59)

#2 2010-02-23 11:14:48

Bart6114

Re: [SOLVED] CUPS problem; can't add printer

Hmmzz.. Just spend the last three hours getting my printer to work and it seems that the 'can't find page' error was simply caused by Chromium's inability to correctly show the CUPS interface. So installing Firefox and adding the printer through there simply fixed the problem.
Thanks

ps. the system-config-printer problem still remains..

Last edited by Bart6114 (2010-02-23 11:15:33)

#3 2010-03-06 09:09:18

giner
Website

I have the same problem.

#4 2010-03-06 10:50:02

matzo

I also have problems to add a new printer via the CUPS-Interface using chrome. It behaves exactly as described by Bart6114.

When I goto http://localhost:631/admin and try to 'Add printer' I enter the correct user/pass but end up with a 'can't find page' error.

But when I first restart the server via the CUPS-Interface, I can add a new printer without further problems.
The steps are as follows:

1. Goto http://localhost:631/admin
2. Press the button "Edit Configuration File"
3. Accept with "Save Changes" and provide correct username and password
4. Add a new printer as normal.

The behavior is really strange, so I would like to exclude that this workaround only works for me.

The next step would be to clarify whether there is an error in CUPS, or Chrome. But if it is not reproducible on Firefox, I would almost accuse Chrome.

Perhaps this post will help someone.

#5 2010-03-26 05:18:50

VitaminJ

I can reproduce the "fix".

Running Chrome as well, but I'm almost positive I tried other browsers and got similar page errors before trying your trick.

Board footer