You are not logged in.

#1 2010-03-04 09:45:45

phar

UK Arch Community gathering momentum

Prelude
As everyone knows, the British (claim to have) invented everything. From Marmite to Worcestershire sauce, to radar and gravity. We even invented the toilet. Our (stereotypical) perception of ourselves is of a nation of intrepid engineers and scientists who spend their lives in the garden shed inventing the modern world.

British people love nothing more than fiddling with things. We're an island of tinkerers, which is probably why Arch Linux appeals to us. Every time an update breaks something, we put the kettle on, roll up our sleeves and get stuck in.

Join our community
The userbase of UK Arch Linux users is steadilly growing. We aim to foster a community focused on supporting these users, the exchange of information relating to Arch Linux and, of course, enjoying the company of likeminded Archies.

So if you're an Arch Linux user and you're loosely affiliated with the UK, why not come join us? In order to comunicate with other members a forum (on our very shiny website!) and Freenode channel have been set up. All are welcome.

Shiny website: www.archlinux.org.uk
IRC: #archlinux.org.uk on Freenode

Although no formal UK Arch events have been organised yet, I believe a group of org.uk people are going to this year's Oggcamp in Liverpool (1st-2nd May).

See you there!

In order to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe. - Carl Sagan

#2 2010-03-04 10:30:57

sand_man

Re: UK Arch Community gathering momentum

Good luck to you.

neutral

#3 2010-03-04 10:36:13

SiC

I'm thinking of attending Ogg Camp, beeing in Liverpool and all smile

#4 2010-03-04 13:57:57

Zariel

We did invent everything, and created USA

#5 2010-03-04 14:08:21

pyther
Website

Good luck as you'll need it...

Website - Blog - arch-home
Arch User since March 2005

#6 2010-03-04 14:09:24

phar

Zariel wrote:

We did invent everything, and created USA

Shuush, we're not supposed to mention that!

Queenie will nick it back when they're not looking. wink

In order to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe. - Carl Sagan

#7 2010-03-04 16:20:14

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

All the best guys. Hail the empire smile

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#8 2010-03-04 17:16:16

loafer

I wish you luck too.

All men have stood for freedom...
For freedom is the man that will turn the world upside down.
Gerrard Winstanley.

#9 2010-03-04 18:08:48

ninian
Website

Nice site (and logo!), and have signed up to the new forum.
This initiative is most welcome and I hope that it is well patronised now that the forum is reliable.
smile

PS: You should encourage people to download the logo image and spread it around.

#10 2010-03-04 19:46:18

tomk
Forum Fellow

Not in any way telling you what to do, but most national Arch sites use the same templates as archlinux.org, with a customised logo.

Entirely your decision, of course. smile

#11 2010-03-04 20:00:02

Bralkein

Not in any way telling you what to do, but most national Arch sites use the same templates as archlinux.org, with a customised logo.

Entirely your decision, of course.

Aw now someone's gone to all that trouble to bling the eff out of that website and you go and say a thing like that!

Cool website, cool idea. I dunno if I'll visit your forums at all since we already have these ones here, but I'll definitely keep an eye on the site and when I'm not completely boracic I might even see my way to going to an event or whatever.

With love from Reading, Berks.

#12 2010-03-04 20:08:34

n0dix

Keep in the good way.
Good luck!

#13 2010-03-05 01:40:40

tlaloc

phar wrote:

We even invented the toilet.

I don't want to break your enthusiasm, but the toilet (if you mean a WC) was actually invented in Turkey - several thousand years ago. Perhaps this forum shouldn't allow members with decent degrees in archaeology. Perhaps I am nit-picking. But trust me - your ancestors were really the lousy, stinky, filthy, I-shit-behind-the-bush kind of guys at about the time when they tried to figure out on how to drag big stones around at Stonehenge.

As far as personal hygiene is concerned, you really should have moved to Turkey back then. big_smile

All the best for your endeavour.

#14 2010-03-05 03:11:15

GogglesGuy
Website

That's a great looking site!

#15 2010-03-05 03:43:20

Xyne
Administrator/PM
Website

Can we please avoid the (faint) nationalism already exhibited in this thread? There is no "we" in a national sense when it comes to inventions. The inventors were individuals who just happen to have
been from within the same arbitrary borders as you are. It's like the fat geezers at football games shouting "we won" and exhibiting vicarious pride.

The Arch community is international and nationality shouldn't matter here. I like the fact that we are all brought together from around the world by a common interest. I see a purpose for other forums based on language, and even for organizing local events, but I wouldn't want to see the community sectioned off by nationality and we definitely don't need to foster sentiments of superiority based on such, even if it is mostly in jest.

p.s. chavs, ASBOs, budding Big Brother society, etc... not all British inventions are great

My Arch Linux StuffForum EtiquetteCommunity Ethos - Arch is not for everyone

#16 2010-03-05 04:14:02

phar

Xyne wrote:

Can we please avoid the (faint) nationalism already exhibited in this thread? There is no "we" in a national sense when it comes to inventions. The inventors were individuals who just happen to have
been from within the same arbitrary borders as you are. It's like the fat geezers at football games shouting "we won" and exhibiting vicarious pride.

The Arch community is international and nationality shouldn't matter here. I like the fact that we are all brought together from around the world by a common interest. I see a purpose for other forums based on language, and even for organizing local events, but I wouldn't want to see the community sectioned off by nationality and we definitely don't need to foster sentiments of superiority based on such, even if it is mostly in jest.

p.s. chavs, ASBOs, budding Big Brother society, etc... not all British inventions are great

I'm sorry, I didn't mean to offend! The prelude was meant purely as a bit of light humor, and perhaps as a way of getting people to read the post, genuinely no harm or offence intended.

We have no intention to segregate the Arch community. The aim of the website/forums/channel is to bring people together and make friends with Arch users around the UK. It's not some secret club for UK people, it's a place for friendships and free software collaboration to grow.

Jesting aside, there are far, far worse British inventions than ASBOs, the concentration camp being one sobering example.

#17 2010-03-05 04:16:37

fsckd
Forum Fellow

Let them have their fun guys. After all, Babbage was British. wink

aur S & M :: forum rules :: Community Ethos
Resources for Women, POC, LGBT*, and allies

#18 2010-03-29 01:59:42

MaxMuir

>there are far, far worse British inventions than ASBOs,
>the concentration camp being one sobering example.

Sir,
you are mistaken - the claim the British concentration camp comes from Dogtor Goebbels, a nasty wee gentleman who worked for the Nazi Propaganda Ministry.

The phrase "concentration camp" is a translation made by two British MPs - John Ellis and C P Scott of the Spanish existing term "reconcentrado" when the British Army adopted the use of concentration camps to house Boer Civilians at the end of 1900, during the Second Anglo-Boer War.

Some four years before the Second Anglo-Boer War, the Spanish were trying to suppress an insurrection in Cuba, one of their colonies.  The Spanish military commander, Valeriano Weyler y Nicolau, instituted the reconcentrado, or concentration camp system in 1896; Cuba's rural population was forcibly confined to centrally located garrison towns, where tens of  thousands died from disease, starvation, and exposure.

You can see the results of the policy at www dot latinamericanstudies dot org slash reconcentrado dot htm

#19 2010-03-29 02:33:22

skottish
Forum Fellow

******* NO MORE POLITICAL TALK PLEASE *********

#20 2010-04-09 12:16:29

louipc

tomk wrote:

Entirely your decision, of course. smile

And that's a really lame trend, so it's all the more refreshing to see something different.

#21 2010-04-09 13:34:33

Crooksey
Website

Do we need a UK arch site?

Whats wrong with this one?

Arch Linux since 2006
Python Web Developer + Sys Admin (Gentoo/BSD)

#22 2024-01-20 21:51:08

WSDEs via FOSS

Did this group fold? The website is not functional now.

#23 2024-01-21 20:34:41

WorMzy
Forum Moderator
Website

Mod note: Closing this old topic.

Sakura:-
Mobo: MSI MAG X570S TORPEDO MAX // Processor: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X @4.9GHz // GFX: AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT // RAM: 32GB (4x 8GB) Corsair DDR4 (@ 3000MHz) // Storage: 1x 3TB HDD, 6x 1TB SSD, 2x 120GB SSD, 1x 275GB M2 SSD

Making lemonade from lemons since 2015.

Board footer