You are not logged in.

#1 2010-03-21 01:07:49

martin77

installing ATI Radeon 5750HD propietary driver in a fresh Arch install

Hi guys,

well, I'm totally new to Arch and I love it - I'm also green at Linux because I have some (long) time hoping distros and using Ubuntu, but that doesn't counts... well, maybe distro-hoping counts big_smile

Yesterday I managed to install Arch x64 alongside X, ALSA and KDE4 and I'm impressed on how well overall system performs: lightning fast download speed from repos, KDE4 faster than LXDE on many other distros, lol, and so on.

BUT (there's allways a but, isn't it?) I can't manage to make xf86-video-ati neither radeonhd nor propietary driver work, composite is disabled and max resolution I can get is 1280x1024.

I read a lot of post here in the forum related to this and none of them is of any help, that's why I'm opening this thread, sorry for more of the same sad

If anyone have any idea on how to make and ATI Radeon 5750 HD work please let me know. You know, after tasting the sweet honey Arch is, returning to Kubuntu will be a hard punch, arrghhh!

Thank you very much for your time and any suggestion guys.

Martin

Last edited by martin77 (2010-03-27 04:43:54)

#2 2010-03-21 02:30:52

agapito

Re: installing ATI Radeon 5750HD propietary driver in a fresh Arch install

sudo pacman -Rd libgl

sudo pacman -U http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4321633/catalyst-beta-10.3-333-x86_64.pkg.tar.gz

sudo aticonfig --initial

4. add "fglrx" to modules line on /etc/rc.conf
5. Reboot.

If you are not using sudo, run these commands as root user.

Last edited by agapito (2010-03-22 16:02:32)

Excuse my poor English.

#3 2010-03-22 15:23:59

scio

http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=34773 that is the 10.4 catalyst beta if you want to try it.

#4 2010-03-24 21:10:37

martin77

Hi guys, thank you, this community is the best. I'm gonna reinstall Arch right now (03-24 18:11 GMT-3) and see what happens, thanks again big_smile

#5 2010-03-25 01:12:22

martin77

Sorry to bother again but I'm a bit stranded.

agapito: to install that driver I need to have installed Xorg-server 1.8 but can't find it in repositories, where do I get it? But, it is necessary? I say this because scio kindly handed a link to the latest 10.4 Catalyst test that seems to work good.

Thanks!

#6 2010-03-25 03:14:18

martin77

Okay, just downloaded everything, compiled and installed. I'm now searching for what KDE package set I should install, plain KDE or KDE-META - yes, I read about them both but I wonder which one I should install if I want to keep an up-to-date KDE install.

Because I finally did download the test driver from AUR and PKGBUILDit I want to summarize this topic for any other people looking for help with same issue:

1. xf86-video-ati and xf86-video-radeon don't work properly with my ATI videocard, and because the official binary supplied by ATI from its website (version 10.2 at this time) don't work with Arch -altough it does with Ubuntu, the other GNU/Linux distro I tried with-, I came to this wonderful place in search of some light on how could I unlock the full potential of the videocard: 3D and composite effects, powersaving features through lowering fan speed and thus lowering noise, etc.

2. agapito kindly offered a link to download a driver that works but alas! it needed Xorg-server 1.8 which I don't have installed and right now don't know where to find it - Xorg 1.8 at this time is somewhat experimental, I think.

3. So, here's when scio comes to help with his awesome link. The problem is green as I am I even didn't know how to use it. So, if you're as green as I am, do this simple steps to download the files needed to make the package to install the driver:

a. make a directory called build (or whatever you want) in your home directory (or wherever you want, for the case) and access it: mkdir ~/build && cd ~/build
     b. go to url provided by scio's link in the AUR, right click and download (Save to...) Tarball and PKGBUILD to your newly created directory (~/build) then click 'Files' and download every else files to the same directory.
     c. at the CLI (the command line interface, prompt if you came from DO$/Window$ world) run makepkg -s  [ thanks guys specially s3kt0r, check here for more info http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=93793 ]. This will download the source code of the driver compile and package it ready for install.
     d. once done simple issue a sudo pacman -U catalyst....pkg.tar.gz (replace this with proper file name of course)
     e. finally issue a sudo aticonfig --initial as agapito posted at beginning of this thread

Now you're done installing your graphics driver. You should now continue installing your favorite GUI and the final install steps as described in the excellent Beginner's Guide.

Hope this help somebody else.

Credits go to the awesome people of this awesome forum. You are kind, you are fast answering and you know how to help n00bs: thanks for your patience.

Last edited by martin77 (2010-03-25 03:25:26)

#7 2010-09-03 09:18:09

netmanny

You can Also use this wiki......
http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Fglrx
And get things going before experimenting.

Last edited by netmanny (2010-09-03 09:18:48)

#8 2010-09-12 23:52:17

msx
Website

netmanny wrote:

You can Also use this wiki......
http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Fglrx
And get things going before experimenting.

Absolutely yes! But all of that was when I did my first steps in Arch... in GNU/Linux in fact; consider I was switching from a totally-GUI end-user oriented *buntuland-experience to this awesome distro, and at that time I didn't realized how cool and powerful Arch's Wiki is... =)

Overall I can't measure all I learned since I start using Arch, how wide my eyes are open and how fast my brain is learning everything now barely 6 months after starting using Arch, and not only Arch but everything computer related - seems a whole life using Arch and it's both an elightenment and enrichtenment experience to me.

BTW: before you start think "WTF!?" or alike, I'm martin77 but with my new shiny account - email account problems with old arch's account.

Last edited by msx (2010-09-12 23:57:25)

Enjoying i3wm w/ lifebar + j4-dmenu-desktop + tab_windows / fish shell / Emacs / tmux / Konsole / KDE apps
Arch + Linux-libre kernel: ParabolaGNULinux.org

Board footer