You are not logged in.

#1 2010-04-11 22:47:10

owain

Printing from Windows = only the first half of documents print

I'm trying to set up a home print server, to allow access to an HP LaserJet 1005.  It's working OK locally and accessed when printing from another Linux box.  From XP and Vista, however, the first half of multiple-page documents print, and one-page ones don't print at all.  This seems to be the case when using any Windows postscript driver (such as Apple LaserWriter 16/600 PS and HP LaserJet III Postscript Cartridge), and with documents from any program.

I can't see anything obvious in the logs when set to debug, as far as I understand them, they appear to show all pages printing, including the one-page documents which disappear completely.  Whether this show it to be a Cups problem rather than a Windows one, I'd rather not attempt to say!  This is /var/log/cups/error_log when printing a five-page document, in case there's something useful in it which I have missed.

/etc/cups/cupsd.conf:

LogLevel debug
SystemGroup sys root lp
# Allow remote access
Port 631
Listen /var/run/cups/cups.sock
# Enable printer sharing and shared printers.
Browsing On
BrowseOrder allow,deny
BrowseAllow all
BrowseRemoteProtocols CUPS
BrowseAddress @LOCAL
BrowseLocalProtocols CUPS dnssd
DefaultAuthType Basic
DefaultEncryption Never
<Location />
  # Allow shared printing and remote administration...
  Order allow,deny
  Allow all
  Allow From all
</Location>
<Location /admin>
  # Allow remote administration...
  Order allow,deny
  Allow all
  Allow From localhost
  Allow From 192.168.1.33
  Allow From 192.168.1.34
</Location>
<Location /admin/conf>
  AuthType Default
  Require user @SYSTEM
  # Allow remote access to the configuration files...
  Order allow,deny
  Allow all
  Allow From localhost
  Allow From 192.168.1.33
  Allow From 192.168.1.34
</Location>
<Policy default>
  <Limit Send-Document Send-URI Hold-Job Release-Job Restart-Job Purge-Jobs Set-Job-Attributes Create-Job-Subscription Renew-Subscription Cancel-Subscription Get-Notifications Reprocess-Job Cancel-Current-Job Suspend-Current-Job Resume-Job CUPS-Move-Job CUPS-Get-Document>
    Require user @OWNER @SYSTEM
    Order deny,allow
  </Limit>
  <Limit CUPS-Add-Modify-Printer CUPS-Delete-Printer CUPS-Add-Modify-Class CUPS-Delete-Class CUPS-Set-Default CUPS-Get-Devices>
    AuthType Default
    Require user @SYSTEM
    Order deny,allow
  </Limit>
  <Limit Pause-Printer Resume-Printer Enable-Printer Disable-Printer Pause-Printer-After-Current-Job Hold-New-Jobs Release-Held-New-Jobs Deactivate-Printer Activate-Printer Restart-Printer Shutdown-Printer Startup-Printer Promote-Job Schedule-Job-After CUPS-Accept-Jobs CUPS-Reject-Jobs>
    AuthType Default
    Require user @SYSTEM
    Order deny,allow
  </Limit>
  <Limit Cancel-Job CUPS-Authenticate-Job>
    Order deny,allow
  </Limit>
  <Limit All>
    Order deny,allow
  </Limit>
</Policy>
<Policy authenticated>
  <Limit Create-Job Print-Job Print-URI>
  AuthType Default
  Order deny,allow
</Limit>
  <Limit Send-Document Send-URI Hold-Job Release-Job Restart-Job Purge-Jobs Set-Job-Attributes Create-Job-Subscription Renew-Subscription Cancel-Subscription Get-Notifications Reprocess-Job Cancel-Current-Job Suspend-Current-Job Resume-Job CUPS-Move-Job CUPS-Get-Document>
AuthType Default
Order deny,allow
  </Limit>
  <Limit CUPS-Add-Modify-Printer CUPS-Delete-Printer CUPS-Add-Modify-Class CUPS-Delete-Class CUPS-Set-Default>
  AuthType Default
  Require user @SYSTEM
  Order deny,allow
    </Limit>
  <Limit Pause-Printer Resume-Printer Enable-Printer Disable-Printer Pause-Printer-After-Current-Job Hold-New-Jobs Release-Held-New-Jobs Deactivate-Printer Activate-Printer Restart-Printer Shutdown-Printer Startup-Printer Promote-Job Schedule-Job-After CUPS-Accept-Jobs CUPS-Reject-Jobs>
    AuthType Default
    Require user @SYSTEM
    Order deny,allow
      </Limit>
  <Limit Cancel-Job CUPS-Authenticate-Job>
      AuthType Default
      Order deny,allow
        </Limit>
  <Limit All>
        Order deny,allow
          </Limit>
</Policy>

/etc/cups/printers.conf:

# Printer configuration file for CUPS v1.4.3
# Written by cupsd on 2010-04-11 22:13
# DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE WHEN CUPSD IS RUNNING
<Printer hp-laserjet-1005>
Info HP LaserJet 1005 series
Location Presario
MakeModel HP LaserJet 1005 Series hpijs, 3.10.2, requires proprietary plugin
DeviceURI hp:/usb/hp_LaserJet_1005_series?serial=0
State Idle
StateTime 1271020410
Type 8425484
Filter application/vnd.cups-raw 0 -
Filter application/vnd.cups-postscript 100 foomatic-rip-hplip
Filter application/vnd.cups-pdf 0 foomatic-rip-hplip
Accepting Yes
Shared Yes
JobSheets none none
QuotaPeriod 0
PageLimit 0
KLimit 0
OpPolicy default
ErrorPolicy retry-job
</Printer>

#2 2010-04-13 03:17:54

lagagnon
Website

Re: Printing from Windows = only the first half of documents print

Why are you trying to run a Windows print job through CUPS? If this is a networked printer run it natively through the Windows print system.

Philosophy is looking for a black cat in a dark room. Metaphysics is looking for a black cat in a dark room that isn't there. Religion is looking for a black cat in a dark room that isn't there and shouting "I found it!". Science is looking for a black cat in a dark room with a flashlight.

#3 2010-04-13 07:54:02

owain

Sorry, I maybe wasn't completely clear - the print server is an old laptop, running Arch, with a printer attached for which HP haven't provided a Vista driver, all the connections between computers being across a wireless network.  Unless I've missed something regarding an easier way to do this?

Last edited by owain (2010-04-13 07:58:35)

#4 2010-04-26 08:52:20

owain

I've just tried the CUPS Windows drivers (cups-windows in the AUR, and not mentioned on the Wiki, as far as I can see...), and the same problem persists....has anybody got any ideas?

#5 2010-04-26 09:26:37

skanky

Are you using Samba?

Firstly a shot in the gloom:  If so, have you tried setting

use client driver = yes

in smb.conf, under the printers section? Or if it is yes, try no. wink

The other thing you can try is to stop the file being printed/removed from the spool directory(s), and see where the lost stuff gets lost.
To be honest, I'm not sure where/how you can do this, but I believe that samba will store the file initially in a spool file specified by smb.conf and then Cups will store it somewhere else. Changing the print commands to not print/remove the file from these two points may help identify the loss point.

Can you plug the printer directly into the windows box and see what happens?

"...one cannot be angry when one looks at a penguin."  - John Ruskin
"Life in general is a bit shit, and so too is the internet. And that's all there is." - scepticisle

#6 2010-05-13 12:08:34

owain

'Use client driver' was already set, yes.

However, I've found a workaround to this problem: install Debian Stable.  It's now working fine...not what I wanted to end up doing, but I needed to get it sorted!

#7 2010-06-16 10:17:13

srivo

Have a look at this tread, http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1487576, I will try that.

#8 2010-06-16 17:27:42

egan

Are you sure they don't print? I have a problem where every page except the last page (if there is only one page, then none of them), prints. Then the last page prints ~5 minutes later. It is a bug with HP printers, it is in the CUPS tracker but nothing has happened with it.

#9 2010-06-18 17:15:41

owain

They never printed at all, and the destination computer was switched on permanently.

#10 2010-06-19 12:02:36

srivo

I succeeded in having windows machine to print by using the hp Laserjet 1200 PS driver on windows machine. One of the machine is windows XP and the other is Windows Vista64. look like any postscript driver will work.

So now my samba server is working with the HP Laserjet 1000 printer setup with the HPLIP driver. I should have figured out that before! Look like everything that is around unix printing is using postscript!

Board footer