You are not logged in.

#1 2010-04-15 17:36:43

MickST

Arbitrary behaviour when performing simple tasks.

Hi, does it happened to anyone that when clicking somewhere in Firefox (it happened the same in Chromium, but in Firefox was more notable) instead of do nothing or do what it has to do (i.e. enter a forum thread) it opens a new tab, or new tabs, opens a new direction in the current tab?

Or for example when you just select some text it pastes that text in a new window and starts a Google search?

So my question is... WTF is happening?! Is this some sort of bug? Have anyone come across something similar? I'm getting crazy, it doesn't happen always but I kind of angry about it. Is there any known fix?

Right now I was using my touchpad and happened several times. I'm in a Dell Inspiron 1520, NVIDIA graphics card and Gnome 2.30 as desktop environment, everything updated.

Compiz effects are enabled: Gnome compatibility, desktop cube, rotate cube, window decoration, wobbly windows, text, dbus, resize info, workarounds, application switcher, move window, resize window, ring switcher and scale.

Thanks for reading and for your time.

EDIT: Doesn't happen with browsers only, I've just selected something in Firefox I was to paste in GEdit and just a left click to select the line where I wanted to paste it pasted it in the end of the line. What's this behaviour about?!

Last edited by MickST (2010-04-15 18:01:14)

#2 2010-04-15 18:25:21

skunktrader

Re: Arbitrary behaviour when performing simple tasks.

It sounds like your touchpad is firing middle clicks when it shouldn't be.

#3 2010-04-15 19:25:23

MickST

skunktrader wrote:

Thank you skunktrader! That may be, I've checked what is a middle click behaviour and it may be. Is there any way to disable the middle click functionality altogether?

#4 2010-04-15 20:25:31

Peasantoid
Website

MickST wrote:
skunktrader wrote:

Thank you skunktrader! That may be, I've checked what is a middle click behaviour and it may be. Is there any way to disable the middle click functionality altogether?

It's all in about:config.

#5 2010-04-16 08:25:27

MickST

Peasantoid wrote:

It's all in about:config.

I meant system wide, but thank you anyway!

#6 2010-04-17 10:09:45

petelewis
Package Maintainer (PM)
Website

Hi, I've getting exactly this behaviour too for the last couple of days and I agree that it's very annoying. I'm using KDE and have disabled anything which might fire either a right or middle click from the touchpad section of system settings, but it still happens.

I think that this could be due to one of two things:

1) the touchpad is firing actual middle clicks,  or

2) the touchpad is firing right clicks, which when simultaneous with my left click causes a simulated middle click.

I generally use the latter behaviour to generate actual desired middle clicks, so don't want to disable it all together. Note that this only happens for me when I actually click at all (with the left button) and something misinterprets it as a middle click instead.

In case it helps, I have this in my /etc/hal/fdi/policy/11-x11-synaptics.fdi (mainly so that I can access the thing using the shared memory functionality required, and set some sensible defaults).

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="ISO-8859-1"?>
<deviceinfo version="0.2">
  <device>
    <match key="info.product" contains="ETPS/2 Elantech Touchpad">
        <append key="info.capabilities" type="strlist">input.touchpad</append>
    </match> 
    <match key="info.capabilities" contains="input.touchpad">
        <merge key="input.x11_driver" type="string">synaptics</merge>
        <merge key="input.x11_options.TapButton1" type="string">1</merge>
        <merge key="input.x11_options.TapButton2" type="string">2</merge>
        <merge key="input.x11_options.TapButton3" type="string">3</merge>

<merge key="input.x11_options.SHMConfig" type="string">true</merge>

Maximum movement of the finger for detecting a tap
        <merge key="input.x11_options.MaxTapMove" type="string">2000</merge>

Enable vertical scrolling when dragging along the right edge
        <merge key="input.x11_options.VertEdgeScroll" type="string">true</merge>

Enable vertical scrolling when dragging with two fingers anywhere on the touchpad
        <merge key="input.x11_options.VertTwoFingerScroll" type="string">true</merge>

Enable horizontal scrolling when dragging with two fingers anywhere on the touchpad
        <merge key="input.x11_options.HorizTwoFingerScroll" type="string">true</merge>

If on, circular scrolling is used
        <merge key="input.x11_options.CircularScrolling" type="string">true</merge>

For other possible options, check CONFIGURATION DETAILS in synaptics man page
    </match>
  </device>
</deviceinfo>

"Cared thou not, thou would have abstained." - Xyne

#7 2010-04-21 10:05:37

MickST

Thank you very much petelewis, I'll give it a try smile.

Board footer