You are not logged in.

#1 2010-05-10 14:58:50

tindzk
Website

Jivai - an object-oriented libc

Jivai is an alternative C library for writing servers, websites or terminal applications etc.

The advantage over Glibc is its simplicity. It's no longer necessary to mess around with memory allocation for trivial tasks like maintaining strings, arrays or trees. In my opinion, those data structures belong into every libc to circumvent the exhausting task of re-implementing them for each project your working on. Sure, there is GNOME's GLib but basically it's just another bloated layer on top of Glibc with no real benefits.

Unfortunately, Jivai is far from being finished. It only implements a tiny subset of a POSIX libc so far but I managed to write a small web framework and a small terminal-based dictionary application. I will upload them on GitHub when they're done. As for now, the applications in examples/ should serve as a good example.

Due to the fact that the code uses some syntactic sugar and also makes heavy use of macros, it is incompatible to most compilers. They need to support the gnu99 "standard". As far as I know, GCC and Clang are the only ones.

Furthermore, the code uses Apple's recent development, closures in C: http://developer.apple.com/mac/articles … ksgcd.html

Clang seems to be the only compiler supporting this feature so far. Apple already wrote patches for GCC but they are not mainline yet.

Therefore, I decided to use Clang for the whole project which turned out to be a sane decision because development is much more fun than it was with GCC:

The error messages are more verbose and already point you to the correct place in the code. Sometimes Clang even offers suggestions in case you accidentally misspelled something! There are many aspects about Clang like its support for overloadable functions which seem to be a great improvement over GCC.

http://github.com/tindzk/Jivai

What do you think? I'm open to ideas and suggestions.

Thanks.

#2 2010-05-10 16:22:50

tindzk
Website

Re: Jivai - an object-oriented libc

The full documentation is available here: http://tindzk.github.com/Jivai/

Last edited by tindzk (2010-10-07 17:43:11)

#3 2013-01-15 06:41:36

yungtrizzle

I know I'm late but um are you still working on this? I would love to help with it.

#4 2013-01-15 07:33:06

bohoomil
Website

yungtrizzle wrote:

I know I'm late but um are you still working on this? I would love to help with it.

Have you seen the commit dates? That, as well as the fact that the last post by the OP appeared here on '2010-10-07 19:16:08', makes me doubt he is going to respond soon...

Edit: ...and what I actually wanted to suggest is that you had better contact the author directly.

Last edited by bohoomil (2013-01-15 09:20:37)

:: Registered Linux User No. 223384

:: github
:: infinality-bundle+fonts: good looking fonts made easy

Board footer