You are not logged in.

#1 2010-06-26 17:13:51

playdafunkimuzic

Computer overheats with openbox but not gnome/kde?

Hi, I am posting this in regards to http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=99241

I do not believe this is considered a double post as I have a question regarding desktop environments.

To make a long story short: My computer (hp dv6000 notebook) has been overheating in openbox. It reaches extremely high temperatures when running something like skype or youtube or many firefox tabs, a cpu intensive application like encoding music or even just many constant hours of computer usage.

I installed cpufreq utils and it is keeping it cool but I am not very happy with the performance on the powersaving modes.

Someone posted a comment that reminded me of something: When I first started using arch I used gnome and kde for quite some time. These overheating problems occurred after the switch to openbox.

Is it possible that it is something related to openbox causing my issue? Or is it more likely to be some sort of video driver issue that just simultaneously occurred at the time I installed openbox? The person's post stating everything works with ubuntu makes me think it's the former.

#2 2010-06-26 22:10:33

sputter
Website

Re: Computer overheats with openbox but not gnome/kde?

Desktop environments like KDE/Gnome will a lot of times their own internal power management software or power saving modes, where as Openbox is very transparent and doesn't have that kind of advanced functionality out of the box. You normally need to add 3rd party software to be able to do that.

That and Ubuntu has a very shotgun view of installing linux, they install everything they think you might need, so cpu scaling and power management will be there out of the box. With Arch you need to make sure you install the programs to govern cpu scaling and power management. This results in a much leaner install and you knowing exactly what is controlling your computer.

#3 2010-06-26 22:43:49

v.blackwood

If a change of window manager or OS is making you overheat, buy better cooling smile.  You should be able to run a complete torture test suite (LinX, Prime95, etc) without or with only very minor overheating (a few degrees over spec.)

#4 2010-06-26 22:49:14

playdafunkimuzic

what would you recommend installing (outside of cpufreq)?

#5 2010-06-26 22:51:35

TigTex

What about opening your laptop, replace the thermal compound and clean the dust? Manufacturers don't sell overheating pc's, it's "our" fault. A laptop must be cleaned every 6 months. I repair computers and a lot of dv6000 overheat because of lack of mantenaince...

Last edited by TigTex (2010-06-26 22:58:17)

.::. TigTex @ Portugal .::.

#6 2010-06-27 07:07:43

somairotevoli

I too would recommend a cleaning. Also, under regular use, check the output of "top". Perhaps a process is running away. What exactly makes you think things arer over heating? Are your temps out of range of what the cpu can handle? Is it crashing/freezing? Are your voltages correct?

Board footer