You are not logged in.

#26 2023-07-07 01:55:03

lilikoi

Re: Using Arch as a semi-rolling release with the help of Archive.

My username is at stake here and i cannot careless.

Mates, of course there is something going on on the background that you cannot see.

But, as you mention, moon, well, that is MONTH... I don't know if you guys follow any calendar of the Earth system, but I am sure you do.. SO you all have some syncing to do all the time, even if that does not seem orderly at a very small scale.

So, my point is that everybody follows some sort of calendar, and most people make habits that may coincide with calendar timing... So, it would be very, very spectacular indeed if all important updates are really just random here on Earth.

PS: I dont update "randomly".

Last edited by lilikoi (2023-07-07 02:10:21)

#27 2023-07-07 02:03:41

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Okay ... I actually drafted a bit of my earlier reply that would have addressed this last point.  Yes, the timing of package releases is not truly random.  In fact, it is certainly quite a deterministic process.  But it is determined by countless impossible to quantify variables that have nothing to do with the release timing of the iso.  Some packager has a good day, so they invest time in updating a package ... or maybe they have a good day, so they celebrate with their family and spend less time packaging.  Or maybe they have a bad day and ...

Or someone goes on vacation, or gets a new job, or has a house guest, or their microwave breaks and they can't heat up their hot pockets so no coding gets done.  Or a butterfly flaps it's wings in Mexico, etc, etc.

I had written something like the above for a much earlier reply in this thread to note that yes it is not *random* in principle, but  in practice it effectively is.  And in any case, it certainly has no measurable correlation with the release timing of the iso.  I wrote this all previously - then I deleted it, becuase I thought NO ONE IS THAT STUPID that they'd need this laid out for them.

I was wrong.

Last edited by Trilby (2023-07-07 02:04:51)

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#28 2023-07-07 06:16:31

seth

Trilby wrote:

not truly random …  deterministic process … determined by countless impossible to quantify variables

You mean like rolling a dice? tongue

lilikoi wrote:

of course there is something going on on the background that you cannot see

A conspiracy?

lilikoi wrote:

So, my point is …   it would be very, very spectacular indeed if all important updates are really just random here on Earth.

lilikoi previously wrote:

Arch ISO is usually released on the 1st of each month, and that syncing with the repo the day the ISO is built (or the monthly repo, for that matter), we may rest assured it is more likely buggy updates will not arrive.

moving-goal-posts-down-the-field.gif

#29 2023-07-07 08:12:29

V1del
Forum Moderator

Alright now wrap it up folks. The original question and answer with regards to whether it makes sense to use the Archive and whether more or less the same stipulations are present there has likely sufficiently been answered.

FWIW as an anecdotal counter point to the belief, the Arch ISO literally shipped with a broken archinstall and wasn't fixed in any official capacity until the next version was tagged and then included in next months ISO. That's the tool many new people rely on to install their system and it was broken because it's just that, a bog standard normal package that had a certain version at time of ISO creation.

Closing.

Last edited by V1del (2023-07-07 08:13:34)

Board footer