You are not logged in.

#1 2024-04-19 20:11:29

Serpentarius13

Can't get sound working with new KDE Wayland installation

Hey. I've just installed Arch via archinstall script. I have Nvidia GPU, so I've chosen drivers for it in the installer. Everything works fine, but I can't get the sound working. I'm very confused between pulse, alsa, wireplumber, etc. I can't get the audio working with my HDMI monitor, even after trying multiple things from google search (this forum/reddit). Can someone help me and explain to me how does sound works in Arch? Thank you

#2 2024-04-19 21:34:03

c00ter

Re: Can't get sound working with new KDE Wayland installation

Serpentarius13 wrote:

Hey. I've just installed Arch via archinstall script. I have Nvidia GPU, so I've chosen drivers for it in the installer. Everything works fine, but I can't get the sound working. I'm very confused between pulse, alsa, wireplumber, etc. I can't get the audio working with my HDMI monitor, even after trying multiple things from google search (this forum/reddit). Can someone help me and explain to me how does sound works in Arch? Thank you

If you don't know anything about Arch Linux, then Archinstall will not teach you. *Anything*

Install Arch the "normal" way...https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Installation_guide

But first, it appears that acquiring general Linux, i.e. Pipewire, PulseAudio, etc. before you attempt doing so would be of great benefit to you.  Arch Linux has arguably the best Wiki on the planet. Read through the installation Guide, clicking on the links to what you need to know.

Last edited by c00ter (2024-04-19 21:34:25)

UNIX was not designed to stop you from doing stupid things, because that would also stop you from doing clever things. -- Doug Gwyn

#3 2024-04-20 05:39:33

Serpentarius13

c00ter wrote:
Serpentarius13 wrote:

If you don't know anything about Arch Linux, then Archinstall will not teach you. *Anything*

Install Arch the "normal" way...https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Installation_guide

But first, it appears that acquiring general Linux, i.e. Pipewire, PulseAudio, etc. before you attempt doing so would be of great benefit to you.  Arch Linux has arguably the best Wiki on the planet. Read through the installation Guide, clicking on the links to what you need to know.

I see. I will try that, thank you

#4 2024-04-20 08:13:34

Manix

when testing with plasma 6, and installing plasma-meta, I had to add pipewire-pulse to get sound.

I don't love rosbeef

#5 2024-04-20 16:05:09

ewaller
Administrator

Audio on Linux has always been a bit exciting.   All other things being equal, I suggest you start with PipeWire.  Work through this article: https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/PipeWire.  It is a replacement for Pulse.  It basically consolidates all of the audio APIs that might be needed into one grand unified solution.  There may be very specific use cases where it is not the best approach, but Pipewire is generally a good general solution.

I like the tool pavucontrol because it provides a simple visual indication of how things are configured, what are the inputs, outputs, and what is using them.  It will help visualize what profiles your system is using -- and to control that -- with a drop down on the configuration tab.

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

Board footer