You are not logged in.

#1 2024-04-16 09:20:27

yataro

[SOLVED] Can't mount BitLocker encrypted partitions with udisks.

I have been used udisks to mount the Bitlocker partition, but a couple days ago I started getting an error:

$ udisksctl mount -b /dev/sda2 
Object /org/freedesktop/UDisks2/block_devices/sda2 is not a mountable filesystem.

Mounting with cryptsetup works like a charm:

# cryptsetup open --type=bitlk /dev/sda2 data
Enter passphrase for /dev/sda2: 

Can someone please tell me how to fix this?

Last edited by yataro (2024-04-21 07:45:57)

#2 2024-04-17 05:56:31

evetsso

Re: [SOLVED] Can't mount BitLocker encrypted partitions with udisks.

I can observe the same thing with LUKS2 encrypted partitions.  I'm trying to mount the partition using KDE Plasma and I get a "You are not authorized to mount this device" error in the UI.

Attempting to mount using udisksctl gives me the same error that you're seeing.

However, I am able to separately run

udisksctl unlock -b /dev/sdc1

to unlock the partition, and then I can mount the resulting device using udisksctl.  I haven't tried using udisksctl on the command line before, but it sounds like it used to work for you.  If so, it also sounds like Plasma is probably relying on some equivalent of "udisksctl mount" working directly on an encrypted partition too.

Plasma was able to decrypt these partitions pretty recently.  I don't see anything obvious in the pacman log about an upgrade that might have broken this, but there might be something I'm missing.

#3 2024-04-17 11:06:48

yataro

udisksctl unlock

works for me, thanks! I also used the plasma capabilities to mount the partition, and I forgot that you have to unlock the disk first smile. It seems to be a plasma bug.

Last edited by yataro (2024-04-17 11:07:40)

#4 2024-04-19 16:34:31

evetsso

https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=416065 has been opened on the Plasma side for this, though it's not clear that the root cause is on the Plasma side.

@yataro: Prior to observing this problem, did "udisksctl mount" work for you to unlock and mount the partition in a single step?  I know now you can do it in two steps (unlock, then mount), but was it a single step before?

#5 2024-04-20 18:57:22

evetsso

Well, after another pacman -Syu and reboot, this has started working again for me in Plasma.  Time to back away slowly.  smile

#6 2024-04-21 07:44:42

yataro

evetsso wrote:

https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=416065 has been opened on the Plasma side for this, though it's not clear that the root cause is on the Plasma side.

@yataro: Prior to observing this problem, did "udisksctl mount" work for you to unlock and mount the partition in a single step?  I know now you can do it in two steps (unlock, then mount), but was it a single step before?

Can't remember exactly, I think it was a false memory smile
Can confirm that mount from plasma works after update now!

Board footer