You are not logged in.

#1 2024-04-21 18:43:57

Toni.69

-toni: /home/toni: change directory failed: Permission denied.

I am VERY new to Arch but I have managed to get it working twice, on two separate drives.

The first drive has been absolutely perfect for over a week until I installed Linux on a separate drive. (init drive was an SSD with limited storage, have a two tb hard drive to put games and stuff on smile )

I tried mounting the darned partitions of my SSD into the hard drive but after being unable to get access to my steam drives (mounting working, for the most part, outside of access to steam because I was unable to find my non-flatpak install.)

I boot off my 2 tb and try and boot into my SSD. Booted into the standard "inq blah blah" and then into the [ok] section. Outside of issues with Bluetooth (not needed at all) and WiFi (") and being told that sdd1 (my SSD boot partition) was not unmounted properly, it went on.

I use sddm for my login, and all I got was a black screen with a mouse curser. Ctl-alt-del did nothing on that screen, but CTL-ALT-F1 and then CTL-ALT-DEL does reset. For what it might be worth, tty2 was my sddm for some reason.

No terminal access, except being able to see the final console outputs of the booting in tty1.

I deleted xorg, and sddm and after being able to more easily work on the machine with an iso, I am finally at a login screen.

Now,, here's where I have no clue about what to do.

If I login as my sudo user, I get through my "'overlord' login: toni" and once I get to password, I type it in, and on enter, it displays for a split second the following error: " -toni: /home/toni: change directory failed: Permission denied."

Logging in as root with the corresponding password gets me into the [root@overlord ~]# console.

I have no idea how to copy paste logs from a system that is in this state, nor console outputs or anything.

I have typed a lot of stuff by hand because I KNOW this place hates oversized photo-of-pc-screen images. If anyone could help me, and explain to me how to get any logs/texts they need from my drive to this forum, I will gladly do that.

Thank you in advance! smile

Edit: I'm somewhat confident that my fiddling with the perms of my SSD through my 2tb hd is what led to this, but I still have no idea what to really look for hmm

Edit 2: my fstab was also heavily modified (on my SSD) and I don't remember messing it up that crazily. Majority of my Linux partitions were duplicated for some reason.

Last edited by Toni.69 (2024-04-21 20:17:04)

You can do three things.. spend money and have sh** hardware locked to sh** software,  spend less money for software that works on and isn't tied to a lot of hardware, or use Linux.

Board footer