You are not logged in.

#1 2007-01-30 10:46:54

mcover

KDE + FAM stuck at 99% cpu usage

Hey,

recently I noticed that when I mount a removable device over KDE's Storage Media and then work for a while, then unmount the device I mounted (e.g. a CD or whatever) - I can't really recall what exactly happened and when it happened, but suddenly I notice my CPU is at full load and <top> shows me that famd is using 99% of my CPU.

So, what happened? I have no clue, maybe someone can help me out here. Plus, I have been wondering for some time now, is FAM really that important?

Thanks.

#2 2007-01-30 12:01:02

lucke

Re: KDE + FAM stuck at 99% cpu usage

FAM is not needed anymore by KDE. You can safely disable the daemon.

#3 2008-03-15 17:30:51

G_Syme

lucke wrote:

FAM is not needed anymore by KDE. You can safely disable the daemon.

I've also have the same problem with KDE and fam. I've disabled fam for the moment without problems, but if I want to remove fam entirely, pacman complains that (at least) kaffeine and kdelibs require fam.
Has fam really become obsolete for KDE?

The courageous enter dark caves alone.
The clever send in the courageous first.
The cleverest wait behind the clever.

#4 2008-03-15 17:38:14

skottish
Forum Fellow

If fam is still a requirement, replace it with gamin. gamin is a drop in replacement for fam and it's less prone to race conditions. Simply install gamin, then remove fam from your daemons array in rc.conf (if it's listed). You do not need to put gamin in the line; It starts automatically.

#5 2008-03-15 17:54:59

funkyou
Website

If you want to monitor networked stuff (ftp, nfs etc) for changes, you have to use fam or gamin, but it is not needed for local files anymore because we have Inotify...

Sometimes Konqueror looses the ability to see changes in the filesystem, a (very) quick fix is to delete .config and .local directories and restart KDE...  And just in case you still belive that fam is needed for this stuff, watch this

want a modular and tweaked KDE for arch? try kdemod

Board footer