You are not logged in.

#1 2007-02-05 13:39:56

ppvg

Gtk-WARNING **: Locale not supported by C library.

Hi, I'm pretty new to Linux and I could really use some help on this one! This is my second Arch install. After the first, which I installed to learn about Linux,  I figured there'd be more user-friendly and complete distro's (like SUSE, Debian, etc.). I was wrong tongue

Anyway, this is my second install, but ever since I installed it (and X11, ati-fglrx, gnome and gnome-extra) certain apps give my this error when run from a console. All of them start and work perfectly, except one: gnome-keyboard-properties. I fails to run and starts a bug buddy report window, while outputting the following messages on the console:

[***@*** ~]$ gnome-keyboard-properties

(gnome-keyboard-properties:4727): Gtk-WARNING **: Locale not supported by C library.
        Using the fallback 'C' locale.

(gnome-keyboard-properties:4727): Gdk-WARNING **: locale not supported by C library

(gnome_segv2:4728): Gtk-WARNING **: Locale not supported by C library.

(gnome_segv2:4728): Gdk-WARNING **: locale not supported by C library

(bug-buddy:4729): Gtk-WARNING **: Locale not supported by C library.

(bug-buddy:4729): Gdk-WARNING **: locale not supported by C library

** (bug-buddy:4729): WARNING **: Couldn't load icon for Open Folder
Failed to read a valid object file image from memory.

I've generated the en_US.utf8 locale using locale-gen, edited rc.conf accordingly and I used the hwd-generated keyboard entry for xorg.conf that worked on my previous install.
I've been trying things with my xorg.conf. I used to leave XkbLayout and XkbVariant empty, like in the hwd-generated example, but now I'm using this:

Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier  "Cherry"
    Driver      "keyboard"
    Option        "CoreKeyboard"
    Option        "XkbRules" "xorg"
    Option        "XkbModel" "pc105"
    Option        "XkbLayout" "us"
    Option        "XkbVariant" "intl"
EndSection

This has a noticable effect: both ' and " require an extra spacebar hit. Pretty anoying, but this at least shows is had effect on gnome. Also, the Keyboard Indicator Applet shows the layout correctly.

I've tried other things, like uninstalling gnome and gnome-extra using pacman -Rnd as to leave no trace, and reïnstalling it. And I can't find anything on Google...

PS I'm running this on an athlon64 with a radeon x700, ftp-install from a 0.7.2 i686 base CD.

#2 2007-02-05 15:00:38

ToastedToad

Re: Gtk-WARNING **: Locale not supported by C library.

You can try to amend your host name to the loopback device in /etc/hosts.

#3 2007-02-05 15:14:49

ppvg

ToastedToad wrote:

You can try to amend your host name to the loopback device in /etc/hosts.

Thanks for the suggestion!

I still don't really get /etc/hosts and the loopback and stuff. So I've just changed this:

127.0.0.1      localhost.localdomain   localhost

into this:

127.0.0.1      localhost.home   myownhostname

where myownhostsname is the same as I specified in rc.conf. After that, I restarted everything (init 5 > init 1 > init 5), but that didn't help.

It's not too much of a problem to just reïnstall everything - again (I have all day). It'd be a shame if this would happen again, though.

#4 2007-02-05 20:56:18

ppvg

I've done a total reïnstall - again. gnome-keyboard-properties works again! big_smile However, I still get these errors when opening Gtk-apps:

(gksu:4669): Gtk-WARNING **: Locale not supported by C library.

I've left xorg.conf's XkbLayout emply, which defaults to "us". There's a related option called "KEYMAP" in rc.conf, which has "us" as default, too. As I said, gnome-keyboard-properties now works and correctly displays "Generic 105-key.." etc. and "U.S. English".

I think I now have /etc/hosts' loopback correctly setup:

127.0.0.1        localhost.localdomain    myhostname
192.168.x.xxx    myhostname.localdomain   myhostname

I'm really out of ideas here. Does anyone know whether this is normal or harmful?

[[ EDIT ]]
Solved. I actually forgot to generate the locales this time. I don't know what it was last time...

Last edited by ppvg (2007-02-05 21:21:21)

Board footer