You are not logged in.

#1 2007-05-05 12:19:40

drum

Blank Panels new development-help please

I'm loving Arch Voodoo with Gnome but nearly every time I boot up, the top and bootom panels are just white bars with nothing in them. I can use the mouse Ok. Right click brings up the create folder etc box.
I have to go to tty5 and log in and then reboot and everything boots up normally the second time.
Any ideas please?:)
Regards

Last edited by drum (2007-05-06 15:07:35)

bebop lives

#2 2007-05-06 15:06:25

drum

Re: Blank Panels new development-help please

New development is that sometimes Arch boots into Gnome desktop not with the white blank panels but with complete normal panels with my icons in but panels wont pop up or down when running the mouse to the edge. So I have to reboot again and again till it gets it right.
I've tried dozens of distros and just found Arch which would be my favourite of them all if I could just fix this problem.
I've even tried re-installing on the same box and on another box but get the same problem.
H-e-l-p please

bebop lives

#3 2007-05-06 22:14:25

iphitus
Forum Fellow

try cleaning out your gnome config. rm -rf .gnome* .gconf*

otherwise, please post a screenshot, it's hard to understand exactly what the problem is.

James

#4 2007-05-06 22:21:24

ravster
Website

Could you tell us which version of gnome and gnome-panel (if that is the name of the panel program (I don't use gnome, so I don't know the exact name of the program)) you are using? And have you done a 'pacman -Syu' on your system?

#5 2007-05-06 22:57:17

drum

iphitus,
I can't post a screenshot because the desktop is unusable when this happens.
I will try the command rm -rf .gnome* .gconf* like you said and let you know if it improves anything. Thanks
OK here I go, I've entered the command as root and it brought me back to the # with no errors. Now to reboot and see what happens smile

ravster,
I'm using Gnome (panel) 2.18.1 which came in the installation and yes I have done pacman -Syu many times and got the latest kernel 2.6.21 by doing that.
Everything works great and I'm thrilled with Voodoo if only this panel prob can be fixed.
Cheers
smile

bebop lives

#6 2007-05-06 23:24:05

drum

WooHoo:D
I rebooted and got a fresh desktop in 31 seconds and all I have to do now is customise it back to my liking. I had to set up Evolution again with all my ISP details but then all my emails and address book were there as before.
All my programs are still there, I just need to put the icons back in the top panel.I don't like icons on the desktop. I take them off with Gconf editor.
Whatever that remove command   rm -rf .gnome* .gconf*  did to clean things out certainly worked.
I'm a 70 year old newbie of 2 years with no previous computer experience and tried loads of all the other top distros but none as satisfying as Arch.
Now to reboot again just to make sure:D
Thanks so much to you guys.

bebop lives

#7 2007-05-07 14:10:53

ravster
Website

Solution posted to GNOME Archwiki.
Thanks, iphitus.

Board footer